Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Too slow PB? Mem-prob? misc probs

Too slow PB? Mem-prob? misc probs
cuidado
Dec 5, 2004, 04:07 PM

specs: 1.33 mhz
512 ram
15,4"

i bought my pb about 4 months ago, and have quite a few problems.

at first it was quite fast, although i gathered i should have bought more memory for it.

but lately its starting to get on my nerves. progs that before loaded fast, are now are now slow. things like programs on the dock that just "jumps" one time before not launching. one other thing is that i can click the x on the left top of for example safari, but nothing happens, and i have to actually move the safari window to another place before it "accepts" my x-clicking.

i might add that i had that infamous "4 language warning" with the bold font, and non-mac-looking" that i had to restart the mac. with the skull in the bg.

i havent quite gathered what it actually was, but it was (temporarly?) fixed.

i have the latest version of mac os x (10.3.6) and always do prog updates.

please help, its getting frustrating.

G4Man
Dec 5, 2004, 04:53 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a powerbook 1.5ghz 15" model with 1gb of ram. And when I first got my pbook 6 months ago, my start up times have been very fast. Now that i've updated to osx 10.3.6, My start up is very slow and takes forever to load my icons on the desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cuidado  (op)
Dec 5, 2004, 05:02 PM

yeah, forgot to say that, the reboot of the mac tages AGES.

hope someone can help us.

thanks

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2004, 05:19 PM

i cant say this will be a fix but i dont see you guys mentioning repairing your permissions & doing regular maintance. go to versiontracker.com & get a program called cocktail (a good maintance program).
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

cuidado  (op)
Dec 5, 2004, 05:28 PM

didnt help much :/

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2004, 05:44 PM

Since sleep takes so little power, you really shouldn't be rebooting very often anyway.

Obviously though, something is wrong if your computer is signifcantly slower than it used to be. You might want to check out this page for maintenance tips: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...intenance.html

cuidado  (op)
Dec 5, 2004, 07:11 PM

if i chose to reinstall mac os x and backup my files, would that help? how do i do it? just put in the mac cd 1?

G4Man
Dec 5, 2004, 07:19 PM

Just did the repair permissions and repair disk, all is good, but still slow.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by cuidado:
if i chose to reinstall mac os x and backup my files, would that help? how do i do it? just put in the mac cd 1?
you can backup your files on a CD or DVD. to reinstall you can use the 1st CD. you can do an archive install which archives your old files into a folder & then re-installs your OS.

cuidado  (op)
Dec 6, 2004, 09:49 AM

smart. do i have to put them all in one folder, or do i chose what ones i put in that special folder, or?

thanks

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Dec 7, 2004, 02:04 PM

My 15" 1.5Ghz PB started acting the same way. Got kernel panics. Operations that should take no more than a split second would "hang" for AGES. The problem kept getting worse, while at the same time being sporadic. Turns out I have a bad logic board. The machine is heading to Apple tomorrow for repair.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by cuidado:
smart. do i have to put them all in one folder, or do i chose what ones i put in that special folder, or?

thanks
it will put everything in one folder for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules