Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook died

iBook died
Aramas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 10:42 PM

Last night I left my G4 800 iBook running a freeware program called 'mpgtx' or something, in order to join 32 8 MB mpg files. This morning it appeared to be hung up on the first file so I quit the program. I then found that trying to do anything just brought up the spinning beach ball thingie, so I hit the off button and rebooted.

It just came up with the white screen with a black apple on it and one of those segmented spinning ring things, and has been doing that ever since. It's been sitting there for about 2 hours now with no change.

Any suggestions? I had to dig my old Evil Empire 800 out of the back room, and it's killing me! It's like using something out of the 19th century!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 11:07 PM

i dunno i'd take out the battery and totally reset it.

then reset the pram.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 12:26 AM

boot up with the osx cd, repair permissions

hold "t" on boot to enable target disk mode, plug into another mac via firewire. pull all your data you want to save off the ibook.

reinstall osx
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
boot up with the osx cd, repair permissions

hold "t" on boot to enable target disk mode, plug into another mac via firewire. pull all your data you want to save off the ibook.

reinstall osx
That's a bit drastic.

Boot the machine holding down command-v to see what it says. This will tell you WHERE it is stopping and possibly WHY it's not booting. This could be as simple as a full hard drive corrupting preference files or it could be as bad as bad blocks on the hard drive. In either of those two cases, an OS X reinstall isn't likely to help.

You should always have a backup of your stuff anyway. Repair permissions its vastly over-recommended. This isn't likely to make a bit of a difference.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules