Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Trouble installing internal CD-RW

Trouble installing internal CD-RW
Gabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 1999, 11:38 PM

I just purchased an internal CD-RW (Yamaha CRW6416s) drive. I'm running a 7600/120 mac - I've got everything hooked up but now it seems to be giving me hang-ups on startups and when running the Toast software for the drive. I've replaced my regular Apple CD drive with this drive and have kept the Apple's CD drive's scsi id # (3). Does anyone else have problems installing a 3rd party internal cd - anyone have any suggestions. I think that it must be SCSI related because of previous experiences. I took the termination off because it isn't my last device - but even with termination on it didn't boot up or run.
Thanks for your help - I have my big hard drive to backup this weekend and was hoping to use the drive. The installation was too easy (I just love my mac) but now I'm stuck.
Thanks

GABE

bryanb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 1999, 11:53 AM

be sure to have the Apple CD extention disabled. You won't need it with the 3rd party drive, and the Toast software will be redundant.

jhpedemonte
Oct 8, 1999, 11:38 AM

I also have the same problem with my internal 6416. Freezes within minutes of startup. I don't even have to do anything with the cd, though, for it to freeze. I've used CD Speedtools, Toast Reader, and Apple's cd extension to control the cd. I can read from it immediately at startup, but only for a while before the freeze.

Gabe, did you connect the drive straight into the internal SCSI ribbon, or do you have a SCSI-2 card? The Yamaha 6416 is a SCSI-2 drive but I simply connected it to the internal SCSI. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

jhpedemonte
Oct 12, 1999, 11:05 AM

Gabe:

Using Conflict Catcher, I found out that the reason it was crashing was due to a corrupt font suitcase. You may want to check this out. Also, I've heard that there is an update for MacOS 8.6 concerning fonts that my also take care of this problem. Check it out..

FormalGent
Oct 12, 1999, 10:17 PM

Just to help on one issue:
No semi-modern Mac has a SCSI bus, technically. They all have a SCSI-2, Fast SCSI-2, Fast & Wide SCSI -2, Ultra SCSI-3, etc. bus. SCSI has gone through more iterations than the iMac, and comes in just about as many flavors. The earlier PowerPC Macintosh all had SCSI - 2, and it wasn't until sometime around the days of the 8600 or so SCSI - 3 was added, if I am not mistaken. I hope the SCSI incompatibility issue being eliminated for consideration of possibly being responsible aids you in your efforts, especially as I am a 7500/195 (don't ask... sigh) owner with a lovely external CD-R that I hope to one day stick into a new machine.
FG

iNyk
Oct 13, 1999, 11:15 AM

Anyone know off the top of their head what flavour of SCSI is in the Rev. A G3 DT?

------------------
"No Brian! Those chicken wings are really spicy, don't eat those!

I never seen a man eat so many chicken wings..."

Haddock
Oct 16, 1999, 04:00 PM

I just bought an EXTERNAL 6416 Yamaha CDRW. It has a very bad scsi problem with macos 8.6.Toast 3.5.7 crashes when attempting to
access the cdrw, and the extension Toast reader crashes the finder just after the boot. This seems to be due to a conflict with Apple CD/DVD driver.
Try to remove it, or to replace it with an older Apple cdrom driver. Your problem is
not related to the installation of an internal
cdr.
My own solution is to run a macos 8.1 with exactly the same hardware (computer and scsi
dev.). That works very well.

alain

Gabe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 1999, 09:08 PM

Hi, me again...

I fixed my problem... I turned my internal CDRW drive into a EXTERNAL device. This seems to work without any problems. It turns out that my internal SCSI has a termination problem because of my 2nd Internal Hard Drive. But I just don't have the time to figure out the problem (it works fine the way it is).

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great suggestions and emails!! It sure is nice to have this available - within 1 hour of posting my first message I already had 2 people email me suggestions that had the same setup. Keep up the great work MACNN!!!

GABE

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules