Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook problems again, I need your suggestions!

Powerbook problems again, I need your suggestions!
Sakino
Senior User
May 21, 2005, 11:59 PM

I have had quite a history with apple over the past year and half now since they released the 15inch AL PB Rev A. I ordered the powerbook the first day it came out, and received a number of DOAs, 4 to be exact. Finally I got a working version around late December 2003, which is the current computer I am on now. I have sent this computer in a number of times to have it repaired. Within a couple of weeks of having the computer, the white spot problem showed up, I instantly sent it in to fix the white spot problem and a ticking noise coming from the computer. Unfortunately they forgot to fix the ticking noise and school started up again, so I needed a computer and waited it out. I ended up sending it in again for another white spot problem; they didn’t fix the ticking sound again because they couldn’t diagnose it. Last November, I again had to send it out because of a motherboard and ram failure. Now it looks like I am going to have to send the computer out AGAIN, this time because there are about 7-10 dead pixels developing across my screen. Also, I had some odd os failure last week resulting in me reinstalling everything just to have the machine work again. I think this failure has to do with the ticking noise coming from the harddrive.
If you are wondering, does he take care of his computer? The answer is yes. Since day one I have used a waterfield design bag, and casing for my pb. Nothing else has gone in the bag, except for some light papers from time to time. I do not throw the thing around, or touch the screen at all. I am very gentle with the computer and wise about computer upkeep as I work as a lab tech at school.
Why is it I am still having all these problems? Can you give me suggestions on a route I should take to stop this BS I am currently going through with this model? Apple seems to be of no help lately when it comes to having something done, and getting it fixed properly.

Thanks
Josh

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 02:28 AM

If you have Apple Care, time to give that a call and ask to speak with a supervisor with some real authority. Politely explain your experience with your powerbook and remind him of you read something about California's Lemon Law. <-- Google it yourself (May not be applicable depends on where you are...)

Have them send you a new powerbook and forget about the constantly failing machine. If CSR you speak with doesn't agree with you, keep asking for his/her boss, keep going up. If you get nowhere, write to your local TV station regarding your expereience with Apple. Send it to MacAddict, MacWorld, etc.

I, myself, am also sick with my Rev. A 15" 1.25pb... It was sent to the shop 3 times for white spot, 2 times for failing bluetooth... 2 battery exchange, 1 motherboard replacement.... I am just waiting for this machine to blow up on my face within my Apple Care Warranty....

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 04:15 AM

Sakino: Oh man, I remember reading about all the problems you had back then. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the PowerBook again.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 09:37 AM

Yeah I plan on calling them next week and discussing my problems. I really wish I had the phone number the the exec office, from when I was having problems with the first round of powerbooks I got. I some how lost it, but I plan on calling on Monday and be really nice and seeing what my options are.

pete
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:14 PM

Be friendly, try getting the executive customer service person you talked to before and if everything else fails, make a report to the Better Business Bureau. I always suggest the BBB as a last remedy since in my experience Apple is extremely keen on avoiding a bad BBB record.

Good luck! I had something similar happen a few years ago and it was very painful.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 02:06 PM

perhaps it's time to mail teh steve...
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 04:57 PM

Sakino whew, I feel your pain and hopefully after this go around your machine will function normal for you. When you are finally ready to call Apple Care and speak to a rep explain your problem as well as your problems. Everyone is right in the past when I have had problems with my Powerbook I find that it works for you better in the long run when you are polite and professional with service repair tech. Also, call as early as possible that way you are dealing with customer reps who are fresh and not wore down from a day of dealing with customer complaints. Even if you your customer rep is very helpful you should politely ask to speak with a manager or someone with more authority. I say this because there is no reason for you to have purchased a new machine and basically have used parts inside of it. Maybe if you are kind and clear enough in your explanation they may give you a brand new Powerbook, now this is not something Apple does frequently yet it has happen and your machine has been open one time to many...

Again hopefully everything goes well for you and please keep us in the loop....

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 11:48 PM

Well I am calling tomorrow morning, I been really busy.
Total list of problems I have had so far with Apple.
15" AL PB #1: White Spot + Other problems (DOA)
15" AL PB #2: White Spot + vid card problems (DOA)
15" AL PB #3: White Spot + HD problems (DOA)
15" AL PB #Current:

-Within 1 month sent it in for white spot problems, ticking noise. In the mean time they scratched the casing.
-Two months later sent it in for white spots again, ticking harddrive, scratch on casing. Some how they forgot to fix the scartch, and ticking hard drive.
-Within 2 weeks I sent it back to have the casing fixed.
-At about 1 year old the motherboard failed, I sent it in to get fixed.
-About year and half now i am calling in regards to a number of problems. A number of blackspots have showed up on the screen again. I had an odd OS failure about 2 weeks ago, requiring me to reinstall everything. This was after some heavy usage, I could not load the OS at all and it would just go to a black screen. I think this might be something due to my harddrive, that I think is the source of ticking that they have yet to fix. Since I have gotten tiger a number of options havnt been saving, and I have to continue to go change the settings when I use the computer. (I know this isn't hardware related, maybe it is?)

My options?

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 1, 2005, 11:59 PM

I have been looking into the BBB and lemon law. There is really no lemon law when it comes to computers yet. But they are working on passing laws for computers that are within a 24 month period of buying the computer. I clearly fall into that time period, as I have only had this computer since December 2003.

ctlq
Jun 2, 2005, 12:34 AM

if I were a tech and you sent me your laptop for a scratch on the case I'd make sure your laptop never worked again either.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ctlq
if I were a tech and you sent me your laptop for a scratch on the case I'd make sure your laptop never worked again either.
Thankfully you are not a tech
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ctlq
Well FYI the scratch was very definitive on the screen part. It was at least an inch long, and very deep. I for one didn’t buy an apple to have it look like ****.

iboy
Jun 2, 2005, 10:07 AM

That is true Sakino!
I made that bad experience with Apple to too... they changed my display 4 times during the last six month and even this one I have now has some quality defects and will be replaced as soon I have found time to send it in again. Apple is always replacing my display with repairend second-hand ones (???) but all of them had other defects (no sleep mode when closing the lid or defective hinges, ...) I noticed the day after I got it back :-(
I phoned already three times to Apple Europe and send a letter (second will follow next week) but no result til now!

That's a very, very, very bad behavior to treat customers... I will for sure think about that when we place our next order!
( Last edited by iboy; Jun 2, 2005 at 10:25 AM. )
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 10:59 PM

Okay it looks like I might be getting a new powerbook! Finally! But Apple will most likely replace mine with the current low end model out, and I am not to happy with that thought. I spent $3000.00 + on this powerbook when it came out, and I was wondering if it would be wrong for me to ask for the current 1.67 with a 128mb vid card in it to match the money i spent to some effect?
What are your thoughts?

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2005, 11:40 PM

I think it's fair..
Of course you'd want the exact same.. but hey.. your getting a brand new PB at no additional cost with speed bumps and bigger hard drive.

Maybe you should ask if there is an upgrade option? Pay a few hundred bucks to upgrade to the top of the line..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

iboy
Jun 8, 2005, 01:11 AM

Hej Sakino

What did you do to finaly get a replacement? I'm sending in repair-reports after repair-report and phoned already three times to Apple... but nothing happens :-(
Maybe I was too polite on the phone :-( ? Did you mention BBB to put a bit pressure on?
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules