Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > itunes cant make a MP3 CD from my AAC files

itunes cant make a MP3 CD from my AAC files
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 05:19 PM

hi. i recently took the plunged & encoded some of my music CDs to AAC to try out. when trying to make a mp3 CD to play in my car i get an "none of the items on this playlist can be burned to CD" error msg. when i made a new playlist full of MP3 & AAC tracks. only the mp3 tracks are burned into the CD. am i doing something wrong?

any help would be appreciated.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 06:04 PM

You have to de-DRM your ACC files first.

http://hymn-project.org/

-t

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 07:24 PM

(Note that he said "from CD", iTunes doesn't add DRM that way.)

iTunes doesn't burn AAC files to MP3 CD since they're different formats. Yes, ideally it should do the conversion so the user doesn't have to, but that's how it is. You can change the encoding settings to MP3 and re-rip your CDs (or re-encode your library from AAC -> MP3, but that's not recommended) and then you'll be able to burn MP3 CDs.

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
You have to de-DRM your ACC files first.

http://hymn-project.org/

-t
thanks. i tried the software out. it changed 3 .m4p into .m4a but still unable to burn into CDs. i think i might have to re-rip my CD albums into .mp3 instead of AAC this time around.

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jacke
(Note that he said "from CD", iTunes doesn't add DRM that way.)

iTunes doesn't burn AAC files to MP3 CD since they're different formats. Yes, ideally it should do the conversion so the user doesn't have to, but that's how it is. You can change the encoding settings to MP3 and re-rip your CDs (or re-encode your library from AAC -> MP3, but that's not recommended) and then you'll be able to burn MP3 CDs.

ah okie. thanks for the explanation. i guess its time to re-rip my AAC -> MP3 so i dont have this issue in the future.

thanks again.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RMXO
thanks. i tried the software out. it changed 3 .m4p into .m4a but still unable to burn into CDs. i think i might have to re-rip my CD albums into .mp3 instead of AAC this time around.
The m4p files are the ones that are giving you the problems... and you didn't rip those. m4p files are protected audio from the iTunes music store.

I suspect if you tried to burn the m4a files (ones you ripped yourself, NOT ones that have been somehow hacked from iTMS m4p to m4a files), all would be fine. Try a subset of files you know you ripped yourself. You are trying to mix protected and non-protected files, and iTunes is balking because there are weeds in the grass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules