Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who has the lines?

View Poll Results: Do you have fine horizontal lines on your high-res 15" or 17" PowerBook display?
Poll Options:
No lines here. 14 votes (42.42%)
I have lines, but they're faint and don't bother me too much. 11 votes (33.33%)
I have really obvious lines that are distracting and interfere with my work. 8 votes (24.24%)
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
Who has the lines?
Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 06:22 PM

Lots of people, myself included, have fine horizontal lines on the displays of our 15" or 17" DDR2 PowerBooks (the ones with the high-res screens). Another thread explains the problem in more detail.

Do you have the lines on your new 15" or 17" PowerBook? (Please, October 2005 PB owners only!)

cplusd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 06:41 PM

I can tolerate for a few minutes checking email and stuff but designing NO WAY...

IAmMeIAm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 07:05 PM

I've got 'em (15" October 05 model, regular version purchased in-store), and their obviousness is directly tied to whatever I'm looking at--I changed my wallpaper to the stock clownfish one, and have to look to see it there. But solid colors are textured, and video is distractingly off. I should not have to move a laptop more than arm's-length away to get watchable video out of it.

It'd be fine for, like, word-processing though. Black and white appear largely unaffected on my display.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 08:55 PM

Are you sure there are any on the 17 inch? I thought this was a 15 inch problem only. If so the poll is going to be skewed.

Tesseract  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 09:02 PM

It sounded to me like 17" owners were having the same problem.
Am I wrong?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 10:02 PM

Spent a bit of time in the Palo Alto store today. See them on the 15" there (just like on my own) but not on the 17".
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

VisualForces
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 10:21 PM

wow...that's odd...but good news really. I'd imagine the same manufacturer makes both panels...maybe this can be fixed afterall.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 11:23 PM

Got them here, but they don't bother me. i didn't notice them until people started bitching about then on this forum.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 11:43 PM

We just got ours today, and it's beautiful. No complaints here. It is our first Pb, so I have nothing to compir it to.....but I looked and looked, and it's all good.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 04:21 PM

i bought my new 17" today. no lines. the display is gorgeous.
hated having to shut it down and put it back into the box when my lunch break finished. i can't wait until i get home to sit down and install all my apps and get it set up.

i love it, i'm so happy

Moon Potato
Nov 4, 2005, 11:25 PM

new 15-incher here... the lines were fairly noticeable at first, but after calibrating the display and changing the gamma to 2.2, the lines are only noticeable when viewing the monitor from a very short distance (about half an arm's length).

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 05:05 AM

how do you "calibrate" the display and change the gamma setting?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 12:00 PM

system preferences > displays > color > calibrate

azbigfella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 04:43 AM

As I've described in the "New PB 15inch Display lines?" thread, my new G4 1.67 DL 15" PowerBook's display is perfect and beautiful -- and I only say that after doing some research and testing it to be sure. Initially I saw nothing wrong with it, but became concerned after reading many of these posts about how widespread of a problem this is (including some people making wide-ranging declarations about EVERY 15" PBook having these issues with lines), but the fact is my 15" PowerBook display looks as good or better than any LCD I've ever had!
AZB
( Last edited by azbigfella; Nov 11, 2005 at 01:45 AM. )
Performa 6300/133/64M/4G; G3/600 iMac Graphite 768M/60G; G4/800 eMac1G/80G; G5 2.0DP/4.5G/420G dual display: 20" and 23"HD; and G4/1.67 PBook15" hi-res 2G/80G; running Mac OS X (10.4.3); my Macs are like my children -- I love them all equally even though some people might think a couple of them are ugly and a little slow, but my new 15" G4 PBook (2G RAM) ROCKS!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules