Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Interior design software

Interior design software
cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2005, 10:14 AM

I'm looking to finish my basement and am looking for interior design software for someone who doesn't have experience in CAD programs. I googled for a Mac solution, but only found 1 that was an OS9 program. - "Design Your Own Home® 3D WalkAround" by Home Design Made Easy.

Any OS X programs that are good? Or have anyone ever used this OS 9 program?

If not, has anyone ever used a Windows application that they would recommend?

Thanks.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 11:48 AM

Sketchup:

http://www.sketchup.com/

It's very good, and very capable, but not cheap.

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2005, 12:15 PM

i know what your looking for. I too was looking to redesign rooms in my home. i searched long and hard and found some great programs, but all of them were complicated. and tedious to use.

a simple drag and drop, click and scroll type program doens't exist. if apple made it, it would be that simple....but unfortunately that's not the case.

i gave up.
if you succeed, let me know.

cjrivera  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Sketchup:

http://www.sketchup.com/

It's very good, and very capable, but not cheap.

Thanks. I'll give the demo a shot, but it looks kinda complicated. We'll see.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 02:29 AM

I was about to recommend sketchup. If you see the tutorials you will realize how simple is to work with.
The only shortcoming for interior design is that you have to other lights than sunlight, and although you can convey an idea very well, the output of this program is not photorealistic.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

EthoX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi, you may want to give this app a try... considering that your needs are really simple and it's price isn't bad either ($28.00bucks http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html)

Ciao - EthoX

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler
i know what your looking for. I too was looking to redesign rooms in my home. i searched long and hard and found some great programs, but all of them were complicated. and tedious to use.

a simple drag and drop, click and scroll type program doens't exist. if apple made it, it would be that simple....but unfortunately that's not the case.

i gave up.
if you succeed, let me know.
somehome I get the feeling if it was that simple, it would be iCAD. Ugh... Id rather see CAD Studio Pro. Apple would definately think of a cathcier name than that, but you get the point.

I appreciate simplcity, but not at the sacrifice of power. I find myself hearing this a lot, that people want an interior design CAD app that's simple and everything is complex. But really, how simple do want this to be? I just watched the SketchUp video, and DAMN that is effing simple! AND it balances that simplicity with power. If I were looking for an app to do this, I would totally buy it.

Hell, I would even consider getting this for pre-viz purposes in 3D animation/effects.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules