Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder crashes and restarts every 5 seconds!

Finder crashes and restarts every 5 seconds!
nitrone23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hi.

My problem is that the Finder crashes and restarts every 5 seconds!
Have tried almost everything now, getting desperate!

This is the log file in the console.

CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 17:59:58 Little-Nicky crashdump[397]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 17:59:58 Little-Nicky crashdump[397]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:04 Little-Nicky crashdump[399]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:04 Little-Nicky crashdump[399]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:09 Little-Nicky crashdump[401]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:10 Little-Nicky crashdump[401]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:15 Little-Nicky crashdump[404]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:16 Little-Nicky crashdump[404]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:21 Little-Nicky crashdump[406]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:22 Little-Nicky crashdump[406]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:27 Little-Nicky crashdump[408]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:27 Little-Nicky crashdump[408]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:33 Little-Nicky crashdump[412]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:33 Little-Nicky crashdump[412]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Mar 11 18:00:39 Little-Nicky crashdump[414]: Finder crashed
Mar 11 18:00:39 Little-Nicky crashdump[414]: crash report written to: /Users/ntrones/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

Any suggestions what to do?

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 01:31 PM

Install any new applications? What did you do before it started happening? (I won't be able to help you but this info may be useful to those who can)
This signature is obsolete.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 01:33 PM

It would be nice if you could post the contents of the crash log.

Besides that, did you try the standard troubleshooting procedures like trashing the preferences, moving all files off the Desktop, logging in with Shift key held down, disconnecting from the Internet etc.?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 07:59 AM

Having files on desktop is a vulnerability?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 08:26 AM

This has happened to me twice as well since upgrading to 10.4.5. For me, the Finder begins to crash once every second or so. It's impossible to do anything without a hard reset.

My crash log showed that the crash notification system was also crashing. Maybe the two apps were crashing each other. Last time it happened (yesterday), it started with a Safari crash, and then the crash reporter crashed, and then Finder went bat-guano crazy.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 03:32 PM

Hmm. This happened to me once upon a time (running 10.3.0). Apple had me do an archive & install. I don't know what the problem was but that fixed it.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2006, 05:40 PM

Post the crash log. It might help...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 05:49 AM

I'm almost 100% certain that it's caused by a corrupted font.

Try logging in as a different user - if that works OK then it's a font that's in /Users/yourusername/Library/Fonts, otherwise it's a font in /Library/Fonts or /System/Library/Fonts

Open FontBook (hint: use Spotlight to find it, if the Finder doesn't give you enough time). I think there's an option in there to find and repair corrupted fonts - otherwise try turning them off until you find the culprit, then trash it.

This is an incredibly annoying bug when it happens - I know, it happened to me.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 09:13 AM

Incidentally, someone posted a tip at MacOSXhints.com which was about the exact same issue (not the OP was it?). Basically it turned out to be a problem file on the desktop but there are a number of other possibilities listed in the comments too.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the link, JKT. Lately I've been using the desktop more for saving text clippings, so those could be the culprit. Clearly, it's still a serious OS X issue though, and I've filed a bug report on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules