Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Two Cinema displays from MacBook Pro ?

Two Cinema displays from MacBook Pro ?
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2006, 11:42 PM

Hey folks,

Since the MacBook Pro supports Dual-Link DVI, in theory it has the video processing grunt to support two Cinema 23" displays.

My understanding of the various technologies is that I need a DVI cable that will split the built in Dual-Link signal into two discreet DVI sockets, one for each monitor. It appears that NVidia and other graphics card manafacturers make such a cable. Has anyone tried to do this ? If so, which cable did you use, and where did you get it ?

Thanks.
Ben.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2006, 11:47 PM

I've seen it done, but with a Dell instead of a Mac. I'm interested to know if it works as easily with a Mac. I think the Dell's video card may have had something special to do it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2006, 09:04 PM

No. Wont work. The dual-link DVI is specifically for increased DVI bandwidth to support ultra-hires monitors (like the 30"). It does not have the circuitry required to drive two independent monitors.

The DVI "splitter" you've seen on certain nVidia are for workstation-class (like the Quadro) video cards that are designed to drive two independent displays from one port (for applications like driving 3 or 4 displays from one card). The gamer-class X1600 in the MBP doesn't support such a feature (nor do any other Mac video cards AFAIK).

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 09:32 PM

Your probably looking for someting like this..

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/12/m...d2go-reviewed/
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 03:19 AM

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen
LMAO... web price of 1,300

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2006, 11:20 AM

Well, the sidecar seems to use a PCCARD slot, so that's out for the MacBook's even if you wanted to burn the $1300.

What the Matrox DualHead2Go is doing with a VGA connection should be possible with DVI.

In theory having two monitors at 1920 x 1200 pretend to be one at 3840 x 1200 should be possible.
Maybe the problem is that the screen geometry ends up with 4,608,000 pixels, an extra 512k pixels over the standard Cinema 30" (2560 x 1600 = 4,096,000 pixels)

Oh well, I'm still hunting this one down.

Thanks for the ideas so far...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2006, 04:49 PM

Duallink DVI has the bandwidth for 3840x1200 at 82 Hz.

But since the pixel counts come out relatively close, why not get 1 30" instead of 2 23"?

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Duallink DVI has the bandwidth for 3840x1200 at 82 Hz.

But since the pixel counts come out relatively close, why not get 1 30" instead of 2 23"?
Hey Mark,

Two reasons;

1) I already have the two 23"s
2) I'm looking for something with width rather than height. It's for musical scores, and the 30" trades off the length for the height.

Ta !
Ben

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 12:59 AM

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
Close, but no potatos....

This device (which I looked at before) mirrors one display onto two monitors. Not the same as driving two monitors as a single spanned desktop.

Thanks though, and keep trying, please !

Ben.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 10:25 AM

Too bad the MacBookPro doesn't use a PCMCIA slot.. or else this would have a easy task...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 11:05 PM

how about if you buy that thing i linked too than doing a closed lid mirror dual display? the closed lid is so that the two externals dont do a small square mirror since the mbp has a smaller display than the two 23''displays that you already have. orrr, do you want a triple display setup??

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
how about if you buy that thing i linked too than doing a closed lid mirror dual display? the closed lid is so that the two externals dont do a small square mirror since the mbp has a smaller display than the two 23''displays that you already have. orrr, do you want a triple display setup??

Closed lid, dual monitor, spanned desktop. You can't mirror the internal display to the external and drive an additional external at the same time over the single video out port (so it seems).

I think I might have to abandon this project.

Bugger.

Ben.

Forum Links
Forum Rules