Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Radeon & DVD for B&W's

New Radeon & DVD for B&W's
RWJ
Dec 2, 2000, 09:06 PM

I have a B&W 350 with a stock daughtercard attached to the video card for the DVD player. If i upgrade to the Radeon, will I be able to use the old daughercard for DVD? Will I be forced to run the DVD only via software?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2000, 10:37 PM

As far as I know, the DVD decoder on the old Rage 128 cannot be connected to a Radeon. My guess is that you'll have to switch to Apple's software DVD player.

RWJ
Dec 4, 2000, 04:07 PM

How does software based DVD stack up against hardware based DVD? What advantages or disadvantages does each present?

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2000, 06:59 PM

I've not noticed any real problems in going from the hardware DVD player on my old G3 B/W to the software one on my Cube, other than its easier to make it region free. If anything, I get less out of sync glitches on the Cube. I suppose the better memory transfer rates on the machine outdo the hardware decompression of the old ATI card.
Aaron

HalfMoth42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2000, 08:37 PM

I check the Forums (of many sites) before I buy, so if I missed the warning, my bad. (If it was posted here since last week, then yeah, I did miss it.) The warning should read:

THE RADEON MAC EDITION AGP DOES *NOT* FIT IN THE B&W TOWER

Neither ATI's Radeon product page, its FAQ or specs, nor MacZone's (where I bought it) Radeon product page mention this incompatibility. Even the card's packaging merely states you need an AGP PowerMac running at least 8.6!

I have a B&W tower (Yosemite) -- this Radeon's obviously the AGP version, but that ain't fittin' in that slot. A call to ATI Tech Support's "Sammy" revealed that, other than perhaps the beige G3s, the Radeon Mac Edition AGP will only fit in the G4 tower.

If MacZone makes good on the refund, since they misrepresented the product, too, (tho there's a "No Refund" policy associated with this product), I'll post again here to let others know.

more than a little P.O.ed and disappointed,
--brian f.

------------------
--[ pleasant taste; some monsterism ]--

HalfMoth42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2000, 10:35 PM

erm, oops. Just had my ass handed to me...

"The egg's on my face, then... I'm not a Mac idiot, but here I've been under the misapprehension that fourth slot was AGP. You guys are absolutely right -- a simple check of the System Profiler shows only PCI. Dunno if I've had the machine so long I glazed over that fact, or one of a hundred other excuses I could limply fling out.

The joke's on me. Laugh it up. Now I have to call MacZone and bite it. Bad end to a bad year. Sheesh!"

--brian f.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules