Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radeon AGP? Not in B&W

Radeon AGP? Not in B&W
HalfMoth42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2000, 08:44 PM

I check the Forums (of many sites) before I buy, so if I missed the warning, my bad. (If it was posted here since last week, then yeah, I did miss it.) The warning should read:

THE RADEON MAC EDITION AGP DOES *NOT* FIT IN THE B&W TOWER

Neither ATI's Radeon product page, its FAQ or specs, nor MacZone's (where I bought it) Radeon product page mention this incompatibility. Even the card's packaging merely states you need an AGP PowerMac running at least 8.6!

I have a B&W tower (Yosemite) -- this Radeon's obviously the AGP version, but that ain't fittin' in that slot. A call to ATI Tech Support's "Sammy" revealed that, other than perhaps the beige G3s, the Radeon Mac Edition AGP will only fit in the G4 tower.

If MacZone makes good on the refund, since they misrepresented the product, too, (tho there's a "No Refund" policy associated with this product), I'll post again here to let others know.

more than a little P.O.ed and disappointed,
--brian f.

------------------
--[ pleasant taste; some monsterism ]--

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2000, 09:23 PM

Doesn't it go without saying that an AGP card requires and AGP slot? Only G4s have an AGP slot along with three PCI slots. B&W G3s have 4 PCI slots (3 standard 33Mhz and 1 66Mhz) and previous G3s have 3 PCI slots. You could have found this by either knowing your mac or reading your documentation that came with the machine.

The ATI site says the Radeon Mac Edition comes in both AGP and PCI versions. Which is true but the PCI version is not shipping yet but should any day now.

The MacZone speciffically states "Interface type: AGP 4x" on their website. So wouldn't you want to make sure you have that type of interface before shelling out close to $300? You could have checked your machines paper documentation, online at apple.com, asked the MacZone sales people, Apple, or even here on the forums.

So, I'm not saying its your fault...I'm saying if you don't know and you can't find it on the website, ask somewhere else before buying. MacZone isn't a great place for either prices, selection, or service...my suggestion is shopping at a better place such as Outpost.com which clearly states an AGP equiped mac is required.

[This message has been edited by spicyjeff (edited 12-04-2000).]

Kbee
Dec 4, 2000, 09:38 PM

I'm sorry, I'm going to side with spicy on this one. You should know the capabilities of your machine. It is your fault, you purchased the wrong card because you didn't do the research. Did you tell the people at MacZone what kind of machine you intended to use the card in? If not, then Mac Zone in no way misrepresented the product. Expect to be hit with a restocking fee.

Kbee.
I didn't even know what a nuclear pannerplant was!

Phaedrus
Dec 4, 2000, 10:26 PM

The box clearly states "AGP version". So, wouldn't that suggest to you that you need a mac with AGP support? Sound's like its your fault for not understanding your computer. If you're going to modify it, then its your responsibility to understand what your doing, otherwise take it in to Comp USA and pay someone $100/hr to slip a card in.

Seems even easier than filling out a butterfly-ballot.

HalfMoth42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2000, 10:29 PM

The egg's on my face, then... I'm not a Mac idiot, but here I've been under the misapprehension that fourth slot was AGP. You guys are absolutely right -- a simple check of the System Profiler shows only PCI. Dunno if I've had the machine so long I glazed over that fact, or one of a hundred other excuses I could limply fling out.

The joke's on me. Laugh it up. Now I have to call MacZone and bite it. Bad end to a bad year. Sheesh!

--brian f.

------------------

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2000, 12:10 PM

If MacZone hits you with a restocking fee, you might want to try selling it used. Seeing as the card is brand new, never used (just with an opened package) you should be able to get close to retail for it. And from what I hear Radeons are still in somewhat short supply.

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2000, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by HalfMoth42:
You guys are absolutely right -- a simple check of the System Profiler shows only PCI
For the record: AGP slots are listed as PCI slots in the Apple System Profiler. AGP slots were introduced in the 2nd generation G4 PowerMacs (aka Sawtooth).
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2000, 09:51 AM

Not to be anal, but Sawtooth and Yikes!-based G4s came out at the exact same time, so you can't exactly call Sawtooth "second generation."

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2000, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Evinyatar:
For the record: AGP slots are listed as PCI slots in the Apple System Profiler. AGP slots were introduced in the 2nd generation G4 PowerMacs (aka Sawtooth).
I'm not sure what Mac you are using and what version of system Profiler, but my G4/500 MP using Apple System Profiler v2.4.8 show a PCI tree in the Devices and volumes section and Slot A which is the AGP slot is clearly labeled "AGP".

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2000, 02:03 PM

Must only be with the new G4s... my Sawtooth 450 reports the AGP slot as a PCI:

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2000, 03:30 PM

I think it might depend more on the version of Apple System Profiler since the hardware in these machines is pretty much the same as far as the AGP/PCI bus goes.

Here is what I see in ASP:

Note: The PCI A (AGP) slot is occupied by a Radeon card and PCI B is occupied by a Wired4DVD decoder card which does not return a vendor name that is why is simply says "PCI slot." The other two PCI slots (C & D) are currently empty and that is why they do not show up.

[This message has been edited by spicyjeff (edited 12-13-2000).]

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2000, 04:35 PM

You're right... I was using ASP 2.4.4. I just downloaded 2.5f4 (latest dev seed) and it reports the slot to be AGP, like yours. I guess the MPs come with a newer version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules