Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini won't boot - goes into kernal panic

Mac mini won't boot - goes into kernal panic
mr breaker
Jun 2, 2009, 07:46 PM

Hi all,

I have an intel mac mini. I installed some software yesterday, and when after it restarted it went straight to a kernal panic. Bummer. Luckily, I have a recent backup, but I can't get the machine to boot from a CD, go into firewire target disk mode, or even into the open firmware dialog.

I took it to a local repair shop, and the guy said he could boot it off their network... which confirms it's a software issue. The only bad thing is they want to charge me $250 to reinstall a fresh version of OS X.

I'd like to do this myself. I have another mac running OS 10.5... is there anyway I can do a network boot off the other mac? I just need to be able to reinstall from the disc, or maybe restore from my backup.

Any ideas?

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2009, 08:39 PM

I presume your other Mac isn't OS X Server, so you won't have the nice front-end that comes with it. However, all the same tech is present in client as well. Here's an article explaining how to do it from OS X client. It's a little dated, but it should still work under 10.5.

Make any Mac a NetBoot Server | Mac Geekery

mr breaker  (op)
Jun 2, 2009, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. No, the other one is not Server. That article looks like it will do the trick, although it looks pretty involved.

Do you think there are any other alternatives? Or should I just bite the bullet and configure the Netboot server?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2009, 11:05 PM

Have you tried the DOCS - Delete-Option-Command-Shift - at startup to bypass the hard drive? Or, I bet you could probably put it in target disk mode (hold T at startup). Then your drive would mount on your other Mac and you could do a Restore from your backup or something similar.

Sorry you had that experience - it's not something that I've ever heard of occurring on OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mr breaker  (op)
Jun 2, 2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Have you tried the DOCS - Delete-Option-Command-Shift - at startup to bypass the hard drive? Or, I bet you could probably put it in target disk mode (hold T at startup). Then your drive would mount on your other Mac and you could do a Restore from your backup or something similar.

Sorry you had that experience - it's not something that I've ever heard of occurring on OS X.
Yeah, I tried both of those... no luck. I get the kernel panic before it gets to the point where those commands are processed. I might try to take it to the Apple store... but I'm guessing they would also charge me to reinstall a system on it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2009, 02:02 AM

I'm trying to think of a reason it would net boot, but not target disk boot, and for the life of me I'm stumped..
Especially given the fact that supposedly it will net boot..

Holding down N, T, or option should interrupt the boot process at nearly the same time, if not the same exact time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2009, 02:10 AM

Are you using a wired Apple-branded keyboard?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2009, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by mr breaker View Post
Yeah, I tried both of those... no luck. I get the kernel panic before it gets to the point where those commands are processed. I might try to take it to the Apple store... but I'm guessing they would also charge me to reinstall a system on it.
The firmware handles those commands before the OS has a chance to load and panic. If you hold the N key at startup do you get the netboot icon? If not, then it's got to be your keyboard at fault, as SH posits.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mr breaker  (op)
Jun 3, 2009, 09:14 AM

It's got me puzzled as well. I am using the first gen wired "slim" keyboard with number pad.

I just tried booting up holding "N" and I get the same kernel panic. I guess I'll have to try and find a different keyboard to test (my other machine is a laptop). The odd thing is I've never had any problems starting up with these boot options before.

Also, if it makes any difference, the message "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\" .\n ...../IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

is being displayed.

mr breaker  (op)
Jun 3, 2009, 10:42 PM

In the off chance this happens to someone else... I put my 10.5 install disc in, and turned the machine off. I took apart the mini and unseated the hard drive. As I suspected, without the hd, it booted right to the install disc.

I then was able to reseat the hard drive while the machine was booted to the cd, and then erased it. Now I am restoring from a time machine backup. Hopefully it's now resolved.

Thanks for the replies.
( Last edited by mr breaker; Jun 4, 2009 at 08:30 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2009, 01:38 AM

Congrats on fixing it, breaker.

brettski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2009, 07:08 PM

I am having the same type of problem with a Mac Mini core solo 1.5.

I have tried all of the usual and recommended fixes. I even tried Mr Breakers suggestion. Disconnecting the hard drive and booting from the install CD / DVD. When I did that it tried to boot and then I got the "No" symbol. These are the original installation CD's.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

brettski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2009, 07:12 PM

I have a 2006 Mac Mini Core solor 1.5 Mghz that has worked wonderfully. It was in sleep mode last week and never recovered. On reboot I get only the grey scrren. No spinning raindow ball, no flashing question mark/folder.

I do hear the startup sound but its very distorted.

I have tried all the suggested solutions including, restarting, restarting with a usb keyboard/ mouse, restarting in safe mode, rebooting from original install cd/dvd.

Now I have a disc stuck in the computer as well. I have not been able to remove it with any of the command keys or other combinations.

MY first suspicion is that the RAM has gone bad but usually you get the "sad mac" tone at startup.

My second suspicion is that the hard drive has failed. I do not hear any disk drive activity from either the hard drive at boot or the cd/dvd drive.

Any suggestions or courses of action to problem solve would be much appreciated.

I'm wondering if its possible attempt a reboot using a firewire drive?

Thanks
Brett

Forum Links
Forum Rules