Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > shut down/sleep problems (I want to take a bite out of my apple)

shut down/sleep problems (I want to take a bite out of my apple)
felix99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2010, 10:23 PM

Hello,
I have a 15" PowerBook G4. Two days ago I upgraded the RAM by one GB and yesterday, I upgraded the OS to 10.5.0. The computer was working fine (all my old stuff was still there and in order), until last night when it looked for updates. There were six updates, one of which was presumable to upgrade OS to 10.5.8 (as it says I am there now). I downloaded the updates, and when I went to shut down for the night, it said it would finish updating and then shut down. In the morning, I turned on the computer and it took almost five minutes to boot up (most of those minutes spent at the blue screen). Now, if the computer goes into screen saver, it freezes, and can only be shut down by holding down the power. I also can't restart the computer. I thought re-installing OS might work, but it can't, as it will not restart correctly. At the prompt to restart to start the installation, I click restart and the computer freezes (screen black). I can hear movement, but can't wake it, only holding down the power button.
So, how can I fix problem, or reinstall OS X to at least get back to where it was working?
I have already tried taking the battery out and holding the power button down, filevault is not running, I have not set up the time-machine yet. I am assuming my problems are connected (boot-up and shut-down/sleep problems.
Thanks,
felix99

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 11, 2010, 11:38 PM

So you are saying that it won't even boot from the Leopard OS install disc? Try putting back your old RAM to at least eliminate that as a possible cause.

Also are you saying that it updated everything okay but when you tried to shut down at night it started this problem? I'm surprised that Leopard didn't ask you restart the computer right after all the system updates.

Forum Links
Forum Rules