Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Database firm claims developers losing interest in Apple Watch

Database firm claims developers losing interest in Apple Watch
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 31, 2016, 07:02 AM

A data gathering firm is claiming that developers are losing interest in the Apple Watch. Instead, the data collation company has gleaned that developers are much more interested in developing apps for just the iOS, followed by tvOS, with developer interest in Apple Watch apps trailing. The firm's claim is based on its own metrics drawn from 100,000 developers that use its database technology within their mobile apps.

"On a weekly basis we're seeing very few Watch apps, compared to iOS apps," said Realm VP Tim Anglade. "For every 1,000 new iOS apps being built, there are 10 tvOS apps and maybe one Watch app." Anglade believes that the more recent launch of the fourth-generation of the Apple TV helps to explain why there is more interest in getting on to that platform at this time. Anglade admits that there was similar interest in the Apple Watch when it first launched, but this has since tapered off.

However, Anglade expects that some of the factors putting developers off developing for the Apple Watch could be resolved at the upcoming WWDC16 event. "Apple published a road map, to be able run independent apps [on the Apple Watch], and that's a big deal," Anglade says. He is hearing whispers that Apple could not only launch its next Apple Watch at WWDC16, but open up more APIs, so that developers can access sensors and connectivity that they cannot currently access.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 31, 2016 at 07:56 AM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
May 31, 2016, 01:53 PM

I have to say the same from a consumer standpoint. Maybe it's the price, but overall, I just don't have that pressing need for an Apple Watch...so why get one?

Even if I wore a standard watch, I don't know that the info provided by AW gives me a compelling reason to trade in...and again, the price seems a bit too much for something that's currently a tethered product to the more powerful & omnipresent iPhone I own.

Plus, I still don't like the overall bulky shape of the Apple Watch. Some of the Android flavors with curved or round faces are much more appealing. Therefore, I equate it to the original iPhone compared to the iPhone 4...wait for better looking designs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules