Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .app shows as folder

.app shows as folder
kirsch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2000, 02:12 AM

Does anyone know how to set the right bit to make an app that shows as folder behave as expected? The name already ends with .app and it's installed on a HFS+ partition.
-----------------------
Ing. Moises Kirsch

anonymous
Aug 25, 2000, 07:21 AM

What does the folder structure of the application look like?

While there is a bundle bit, Mac OS X doesn't need it to treat it as an application if it has the proper structure. You basically need a Contents folder inside the .app folder, and this folder should contain an Info.plist (or Info-macos.plist) file, a PkgInfo file, and at least a MacOS folder containing the actual application executable. If the folder that contains all this ends in .app, the Finder should recognize it as an application (I just tried it myself).

So that's the first thing to check. If, for some reason, the structure is correct and it's still not showing up right, you can open up a Terminal window, navigate to the folder the app is in (using "cd"), and type:

/System/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a B MyApp.app

Where "MyApp.app" is, of course, the name of your application. This will set the bundle bit. You may need to log out and back in before it will be recognized -- in DP4 the Finder doesn't recognize changes as well as it should.

X Freedom
Aug 25, 2000, 09:00 AM

Do you mean while your not running OS X on your machine?

Originally posted by kirsch:
Does anyone know how to set the right bit to make an app that shows as folder behave as expected? The name already ends with .app and it's installed on a HFS+ partition.

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

kirsch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2000, 11:52 AM

I found that the PkgInfo file was empty. Editing in pico and writing the type/creator (APPL????) fixed the problem! The app showed as a generic application and didn't work, a reinstall fixed the problem....
thanks for the help.
-----------------------
Ing. Moises Kirsch

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 25, 2000, 02:49 PM

There is a utility to fix this... it is on the MacOS 9 disk that came with my G4, and I would expect there is a Carbon version... it's called Package First Aid, and the icon looks a lot like Disk First Aid's. I bet you could d/l it from Apple's site.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2000, 03:24 AM

If the bundle structure is correct the bundle should be displayed as an application. The bundle flag doesn't need to be set.

Either the structure is incorrect or it doesn't agree with the property list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules