Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How NOT to sell a broken laptop on eBay

How NOT to sell a broken laptop on eBay
cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 03:40 PM

A buyer got ripped off by a seller named Amir on eBay when the seller sold him a broken and falsely advertised laptop. Needless to say the seller did not make amends with the buyer.

What Amir forgot was that if you are going to sell a broken laptop in a scam, erase the hard drive...

http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...13151855903113
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Salty
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 03:53 PM

Priceless.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 05:39 PM

Great Pwnage !

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 07:35 PM

Daaaaaamn! Amir got worked.

And what an odd collection of photos he had.

I wouldn't be surprised that if the NSA got a whiff of that dude's hard drive contents, they might just pay him a little visit to have a "discussion".

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 11:09 AM

Now THAT'S entertainment! It'd be great if enough people shot him just $1 each to make up for what he lost on the bum eBay deal.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

James L
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 11:33 AM

Frikkin Awesome!

Internet vigilante justice at its finest!!!

James L
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Now THAT'S entertainment! It'd be great if enough people shot him just $1 each to make up for what he lost on the bum eBay deal.
Actually, someone in the blog replies suggested that he resell the computer on ebay, with all the personal data on it. Maybe the original seller would have to bid on it and buy it back to prevent a whole bunch of other people from getting his info!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by James L
Frikkin Awesome!

Internet vigilante justice at its finest!!!

I dunno. MacNN Forums members getting police to do an undercover raid of a PowerBook scammer was pretty hot!

tooki

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I dunno. MacNN Forums members getting police to do an undercover raid of a PowerBook scammer was pretty hot!
I missed that, care to fill me in/point me to the appropriate thread if not too much trouble?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 03:54 PM

I love people getting back at Ebay scammers. I had a friend who bought a 12 inch PB from a guy who was obviously waiting for an MBP. When the ship time got pushed back so did the wait for the guy's 12 inch. And then the loser even "forgot" to give him the power adapter. Freaking lame.

James L
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 04:00 PM

James L
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 04:02 PM

tooki
You are correct sir!

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 04:20 PM

nope. Ppppppowerbook was good but the MacNN sting was even better. I searched and didnt see it, but basically soem F-Tard was "selling" Powerbooks and et cetera on somewhere or other, eBay perhaps, and being good little Mac users one forum member who happened to work at Nextel ran the cell # listed on the auction to get the address, another forum member who happened to live in that very far away city drove by the address and photo'd cars and license plates and occupants, somebody else ran the plates, then the local (small municipality PD so they actually care about that sort of thing) did a controlled delivery dressed as the FedEx guy and arrested the guy.

Of course thee original forum scamee flew from his hometown of wherever-ville cross-country to be there for the takedown.

I'm not doing the story justice but basically it was a bunch of people who've never met helping each other out based on being family of the Mac variety. Very cool, and it turned out the guy was a pretty big-time scammer too, owed lotsa people money.

-- oops, here's the thread. i used to have the videoof the Connie Chunk interview about it but I dont think I do anymore. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=134279
( Last edited by CMYKid; May 27, 2006 at 04:34 PM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 05:16 PM

That was GREAT!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 06:11 PM

tooki
link? if you're talking about the p-p-p-powerbook, that was SA...

edit: should have read CMYKid's post.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 07:41 PM

Yeah, the MacNN thing made major news because of how it all came together. Internet vigilanteism at its finest!

tooki

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 09:16 PM

Unfortunately, the guy was in New Orleans, so by now he might have way bigger problems than losing a $3000 laptop.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules