Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > burn a cd that will automatically open

burn a cd that will automatically open
gromit95
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 03:01 PM

Hello
I need help again

I want to burn a cd that will automatically open into a window and display the files.
This needs to work on both a mac and pc.
I have a g4 733 ant toast 5.0 os 9.2
Thanks fred

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 30, 2003, 10:39 AM

This is gonna be kinda tricky and long, here goes...

To make the Mac portion of the CD:
Put your blank CD-RW into your Mac and put all the files you want on the CD on there and such. Then, open the window you want to open automatially when the CD is inserted. Place the window where you want it to be when the CD is inserted (middle of screen, whatever.) Whatever size, placement the window is now is how it's gonna look when you put the CD in later. Then, don't close that window, and burn the CD-RW. After the CD is burned, open up Toast and choose File->Save as Disc Image. You're gonna make an image of the CD-RW you just made.

To make the PC portion of the CD:
Since you're still in Toast, choose the Other tab, and pick ISO9660 (hopefully you have Toast Titanium!) Then add the files you want on the PC side. Now, here's the trickiest part. You need to make a file called autorun.inf, and add some lines to that file. You'll want to add something like this:
Code:
[autorun] open="explorer folder"
I'm pretty sure you can use relative directories here. You'll never really know the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive, so you can't hardcode a path to it. Another note, this is case sensitive, even though DOS/Windows isn't. This was not a fun thing to learn the hard way! I'll check a CD I made and help you later about figuring out what exactly to put after open=.

To burn this sucker:
Burn what you've just done in the ISO9660 bit, but don't close the session. After that's burned, click the Other tab and choose Disc Image. Fine the disc image we made of the Mac CD and burn it. You can close the session this time if you like.

Brad

gromit95  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 11:14 AM

That doesn�t sound to bad .
I�ll give it a try this weekend
PS What I want to do is either have a window open or have a file run automatically. IE a pdf slide show or a html index page.
Thanks fred

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 11:42 AM

How to burn a cd with custom icon and auto launch
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showth...threadid=11582

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 30, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by gromit95:
That doesn�t sound to bad .
I�ll give it a try this weekend
PS What I want to do is either have a window open or have a file run automatically. IE a pdf slide show or a html index page.
Thanks fred

I think you can only run a program with autorun, I'm pretty sure it won't load a PDF or web site. Try it with a CD-RW though and see what happens.

gromit95  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2003, 05:30 PM

if I can get it to open to a window I'll be fine
Fred

Cipher13
Jun 1, 2003, 11:46 PM

Toast 3 or 4 used to have an "Automatically open this file..." option...

Forum Links
Forum Rules