Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newest Razor - KRZR

Newest Razor - KRZR
bobablob
Oct 3, 2006, 05:04 PM

I just picked one of these beauties up, expecting that it would interoperate perfectly with iSync, since I had heard such good things about the Razr family playing nice with OS X. Unfortunately, its not supported.

Is this typical for a new product? I'm not big on cell phone technology and rarely have had opportunity to use iSync.

Thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2006, 05:33 PM

Yes this is typical for a new phone. Give it time, either a new version of iSync or a 3rd party plugin for iSync will come out. (I had to get a 3rd party plugin for my v3x when I got it as it wasn't supported by iSync, I think it might be now though).

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2006, 05:55 PM

Got pictures? Who's your carrier?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 06:25 PM

i lost my phone im looking for it, but if i dont find it im getting this

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2006, 07:00 PM

iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

bobablob  (op)
Oct 3, 2006, 07:12 PM

Carrier is Verizon. This phone actually gets reception in all sorts of places I've never gotten so much as a bar at before.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:35 PM

Motorola Krazor?
Weird name.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 10:51 PM

Heh, looks sorta nice. They suck as bad as the RAZR?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by bobablob
I just picked one of these beauties up, expecting that it would interoperate perfectly with iSync...
Don't just assume. Check the list before you shop:

http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

As someone else said, the other RAZRs are supported. I bet this one will be soon.

Chris

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brien
Heh, looks sorta nice. They suck as bad as the RAZR?
Yeah, phones that have good reception really suck. Why on earth would anyone ever want a phone that you can actually, ya know, make phone calls with.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jyunderwood
Oct 4, 2006, 02:17 AM

The razr family playing nicely with isync? I have a CDMA carrier (Alltel) and so I had to get the v3c model. It has the crappiest syncing of a phone ever, they shouldn't even list it on the page it's so bad.

At least file transfers work with the alltel model.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2006, 08:16 AM

My RAZR gets signals in places that there AREN'T signals-at least for most other people. And it syncs fine with iSync for most things-though it's pretty picky about what it will and won't sync through that app. However, if you read this forum carefully, you'll see that lots of people have successfully transferred almost every kind of file to their RAZRs through Bluetooth. Some carriers (specifically Verizon) have a history of goobering up the phone's software so some functions don't work, like BT file transfers, but that seems to be something that's in the past now...

I would also point out that I discovered the RAZR worked with iSync by plugging it in-just like the V180 I replaced with it. If it's a seriously needed function, NEVER buy something without KNOWING that it's properly supported for what you want to do.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 10:58 AM

V3 for me.

I actually have two of them, they both are great talkers and great syncers.

KRZR should be a cool phone. I'd like to see some real-life� photos, thanks!
ice

7xs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2006, 10:53 PM

I just picked one of these beauties up, expecting that it would interoperate perfectly with iSync, since I had heard such good things about the Razr family playing nice with OS X. Unfortunately, its not supported.

Is this typical for a new product? I'm not big on cell phone technology and rarely have had opportunity to use iSync.

Thanks.

I threw together a fix for isync and KRZR K1m since I had a 150 contacts I did not want to type in

n the Finder, control-click on the iSync application and choose Show Package Contents.

Drill down to the following:
Contents -> Plugins -> ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice -> Contents -> Plugins -> PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin -> Contents -> Resources.

In that folder, open MetaClasses.plist in text edit or pico(make a backup first!)

add the following code. save and reopen isync.

<key>com.motorola.krzrK1mVerizon</key>
<dict>
<key>Identification</key>
<dict>
<key>com.apple.gmi+gmm</key>
<array>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2004"+K1m</string>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+K1m</string>
<string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+K1m</string>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2005"+KRZRK1m</string>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2004"+KRZRK1m</string>
<string>"Motorola CE, Copyright 2000"+KRZRK1m</string>
</array>
</dict>
<key>InheritsFrom</key>
<array>
<string>com.motorola.usb-bt.0x22B8/0x4902</string>
</array>
<key>Services</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>ServiceName</key>
<string>com.apple.model</string>
<key>ServiceProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>ModelIcon</key>
<string>MOTV3-black.tiff</string>
<key>ModelName</key>
<string>KRZR K1M</string>
</dict>
</dict>

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 11:00 AM

Is the OS the same horrible on as the RAZR?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

SLiMeX
Senior User
Oct 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

I came out of the ice age, and got my first cell phone three weeks ago - a Motorola SLVR L7. I love it, but I want a RIZR when they come out. I hope they chose Cingular as the carrier.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

bobablob  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 03:07 PM

The OS on the Krazr is the same as the RAZR as far as I can tell. And its not the best. But overall, this phone is the best cell phone I've ever owned and I wholeheartedly recommend one to anyone interested. I pull in a reception everywhere with Verizon, even in places I could not previously. I even get a signal in the subway (Chicago). Battery life is solid too.

bobablob  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 7xs
I threw together a fix for isync and KRZR K1m since I had a 150 contacts I did not want to type in

n the Finder, control-click on the iSync application and choose Show Package Contents.

Contents -> Plugins -> ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice -> Contents -> Plugins -> PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin -> Contents -> Resources.

In that folder, open MetaClasses.plist in text edit or pico(make a backup first!)

Unfortunately, I cannot get this fix to work. I have added the text into the appropriate file, right above the last /plist....but still no go once I save and run iSync. Thoughts? Thanks.

bobablob  (op)
Oct 8, 2006, 09:16 PM

On the plus side, standard Bluetooth features work just fine, which I guess makes sense I can transfer files, etcetera from the Krazr to my desktop. Still would like to get iSync up and running, but right now this is the best cell Phone I've ever used and I guess I can be patient.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2006, 02:41 AM

dude, let's see some pics, I asked ya 5 days ago!

pics of the phone and pics taken with the phone would make me happy.

ice

bobablob  (op)
Oct 9, 2006, 10:51 AM

I'll put up some pics later today

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2006, 11:27 AM

I'll put up some pics later today

YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?!

(please?)
ice

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?!
Made me laugh out loud

potzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobablob View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot get this fix to work. I have added the text into the appropriate file, right above the last /plist....but still no go once I save and run iSync. Thoughts? Thanks.
You need to add the following at the end of that block of text you pasted in or it won't work.
</array>
</dict>
Now, anyone know how to get the dang phone to pair with Address Book? I'm stumped.
( Last edited by potzer; Oct 19, 2006 at 11:13 PM. Reason: email notification)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2006, 03:24 AM

1300 views and not a single freaking PHOTO.

bobablob - make a quality post already!

edit: yes I've seen the phone already in adverts, online, etc. I just wanna see it in real life, from a dang 'nn user who knows how to upload a photo.
ice

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 10:22 AM

Looked at one in a phone shop today, it looks ok, I always thought the RAZR was too wide, and this fixes that. I can see the blue glass finish being a fingerprint and scratch magnet though, or maybe I've just got into that way of thinking from iPods and PSPs. I wouldn't get one myself though, I used to have a V620 and the address book and system weren't the best.

Edit: Found a little review and 'real' photos comparing with a RAZR on a phone furum. Google is your friend.
Link
( Last edited by ajprice; Oct 21, 2006 at 10:33 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 02:25 PM

if the sound of phone calls is better than my razr, i'm interested.

i've had about 6 mobile phones over the last 7 years, and the razr is my favorite/least fave.
i've made my own ringtones, thing looks great, i find the os simple to use...
but calls sound like sh*t.

the krazr sounds really good??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2006, 10:53 PM

That's odd-every Motorola phone I've ever had has sounded great, especially compared to the competition. Motorola has a very long history of getting audio right.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That's odd-every Motorola phone I've ever had has sounded great, especially compared to the competition. Motorola has a very long history of getting audio right.

having explored this at razr forums, and certainly discussed with other razr users i know, it is generally considered to have bad sound (for phone calls); my ringtones, fwiw, sound great.

i want CALLS to sound great!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2006, 03:41 PM

My RAZR sounds great. My wife's sounds great. My son's sounds great. His friend's RAZR sounds great too. I don't know why other people's should sound less than great... What network were the people who said it sounded bad using? I'm on Cingular and though I am still not extremely happy to say so, they are very good.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 07:38 AM

Hmm that isn't working for me...
Maybe because my phone isn't a version wireless one?

Originally Posted by 7xs View Post

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 09:12 AM

Hey this one here works really well... And it comes with a picture of the phone for iSync.

elbertc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by GlobalNomad View Post
Hey this one here works really well... And it comes with a picture of the phone for iSync.
GlobalNomad, your link worked like a charm. In front of me, I've got this new KRZR (I still don't understand what the hell Moto was thinking of when they named this). I couldn't figure out how to get iSync to recognize it. A quick copy-paste from the German download fixed all that. Google led me to this discussion and I thank you for the link.

Actually, it's my wife who owns this new phone. She just won it in a raffle a couple of hours ago. I'm not a fan of Motorola's user un-friendly interface (I"m a Treo650 user myself), but she found this new phone so attractive, she'll give it a whirl. As any good husband should, I got working on syncing the contacts from her old Nokia 6230 into AddressBook. that was quick and easy (and I think it was only recently that Apple added support for this old phone). however, syncing to the KRZR quite slow (seemed like half an hour for 934 contacts). Subsequent syncs were slow too, but the job gets done without hitch.

Thanks again.
( Last edited by elbertc; Oct 24, 2006 at 01:22 PM. )

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 09:18 PM

Glad I could help out elbertc.

I found it took about 10 mintues to sync my 100 contacts, it is very strange that it takes such a long time. But oh well.

I am moving over from one of those really old tiny star teck motorola ones (they don't have them in the states)...
This phone is alright, it gets pretty good signal.

kginger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:59 PM

that edit to the isync plist wreaked havok on me. it deleted all 200 contact from my phone and now does not work properly - contacts from my address book make work entries, and if I edit the contact in the phone it messes up the address book entry. I don't get any address book syncing. Beware! I suggest waiting for real support from Apple in an update.

wvullhorst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by kginger View Post
that edit to the isync plist wreaked havok on me. it deleted all 200 contact from my phone and now does not work properly - contacts from my address book make work entries, and if I edit the contact in the phone it messes up the address book entry. I don't get any address book syncing. Beware! I suggest waiting for real support from Apple in an update.
Same behaviour with my KRZR too.
I now use an "extended" version of the iSync configuration file that can be downloaded at

jeffcraven.com: Motorola KRZR K1 (GSM) and iSync

This one works perfectly for me.

Wolfgang

elbertc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by kginger View Post
That looks like a sync problem and not necessarily with the edited plist. It has happened to me with Nokias and Palms too, and those are with 'real' support from Apple.

Lesson learned, I always do a backup of the Address Book database (File > Back up Address Book...) before performing new syncs. I wouldn't blame the edited plist at all.

Dano Darcaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 12:00 AM

Hey guys-- if you've been having trouble getting it to work, you might not have a verizon phone. I have a sprint phone, and here's what I had to stick in the metaclasses file:

Code:
<string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+Motorola K1m-Sprint Phone</string>

It should be obvious where it goes... I got this fix from a post on howardforums.

You can figure out what string to put, in case the above doesn't work, by re-pairing your phone to your computer. Watch the console, and you'll notice some info that looks like this:

Code:
GMM: +GMM: Motorola K1m-Sprint Phone GMI: +GMI: Motorola CE, Copyright 2000

See how the above info is reformatted to fit in the metaclasses.plist file? So if you're using a provider other than Sprint or Verizon or whatever, you just substitute it in there.

Anyway, that's my 2c after some hunting around for answers. Hope it's helpful.

Dano

Dano Darcaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 10:56 PM

Hey gang-

Just want to keep this thread up to date. The system update to OS X 10.4.9 included a new version of iSync, which blew over our fix above.

So again, if you have a KRZR k1 for Sprint PCS (or theoretically any KRZR, you'll need to remodify the Metaclasses.plist file. What I did this time was download the file from here:

Inside Mr. KaryHead � Blog Archive � Alltel Motorola KRZR K1m and iSync

(he had made a brand-new version for 10.4.9)

Then, I had to specially modify THAT file for my sprint version of KRZR as follows:

1. Around line 37, add "<string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+Motorola K1m-Sprint Phone</string>"
2. For fun, I changed (about) line 31 from "<key>com.motorola.krzrk1mVerizon</key>" to "<key>com.motorola.krzrk1mSprint</key>"

That's it! My Sprint KRZR is now recognized once again in iSync... it works in OS X 10.4.10 too

Dano

Uta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2007, 10:39 PM

I have Verizon's MotoKRZR and trying to use it with my iBook (10.4.11),
plugged in via a USB cable, it shows up in the System's Profiler as "Motorola K1m/L7c" But when I open iSync and try to add device it says no device found. I have tried to use (modify my MetaClasses.plist file) but iSync still can not find my phone. Is the L7c the issue? Does anyone have this phone and have it working via usb, if so could you post your MetaClasses.plist file ? Thanks in advance!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2007, 10:55 PM

The KRZR is not a RAZR. It's a totally different phone.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2007, 05:10 PM

Screw iSync. It's way too fussy. I'm a huge fan of OnSync. I've used it with both my old V600 and T616 and it's way better than iSync.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Uta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 05:55 PM

On your advice I tried OnSync and it worked. My issue is that I don't use Mac Mail or a Microsoft mail program but Thunderbird, Mozilla... and OnSync doesn't seem to recognize Thunderbird. Anyone use Thunderbird with OnSync? Thanks.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2007, 02:42 PM

"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Forum Links
Forum Rules