Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTools

iTools
rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2000, 05:56 PM

I have been unable to get iTools to work. I can signup, create the accounts, even check my mac.com email with my email client but it seems that in both IE 4.5 and Communicator 4.7 that the iTools plugin will not load. Anyone else having troubles??

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2000, 07:24 PM

Are you running OS 9? I believe the plug-in is for the OS not a browser.

This is a rather good marketing ploy. I run OS 9 at work, but 8.5 at home. Guess I better shell out the $99 for the home, so I can use iDisk.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

rezEdit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2000, 07:47 PM

yes of course i am on os 9. i am not a retard, i read the system req.

the plugin is for your browser, thats why the installer places a file called "iTools Plug In" into every damn browser's plugins folder it finds.

i have found a message on Apple's tech exchange from someone who is having the same problem.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2000, 08:19 PM

I too was going to upgrade my iBook's 8.6 to 9.0 (hopefully using the upgrade offer) to use iTools, but yet again the UK gets dumped upon from a great height by Apple. USA and Canada only, despite the iTools system being just a portal that you can (theoretically) use from any ISP.
What did the UK government do to Apple to make them so pissed off with us ? We haven't even got Airport cards yet
Aaron

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2000, 08:58 PM

I have itools working. I've made it go on four computers, an iMac rev A/233, an iMac rev C/266, an iMac DV, and a G4/AGP.

Question: How do you get an iDisk, both my own and a public folder, to mount without having to do several steps with a browser. I've been tossing files back and forth with a friend and it works great but the process of mounting them is too tedious. Aliases don't work. They just lead to a idisk.mac.com password dialog that I don't have an answer to.

My idisk is called tadd
I have a couple of files on my public folder if someone wants to play.

I'm guessing that the system is slow because if the initial enthusiasm.

I was able to run the homepage creator (which is an on-line thing) once but didn't finish because I went off to create some content and it logged me out. The whole itools system got real busy after noon Pacific time as I suspect the masses started playing with it. Now it won't let me back into homepage at all. I suspect their servers got overloaded.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2000, 09:32 PM

Dennis (I think) on the Apple tech exchange suggested a fix. It may be that people having trouble with the plug-in may be missing or have deleted OS 9-standard Extentions that some part of the iTools system is counting on.

Anybody who is having a problem with this might try doing this with a clean OS9 system folder and then see if it works. That will at least make it clear that it's not the browser or other plug-ins that are the problem.

Please report back here if you debug the problem.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2000, 09:49 AM

Sorry, rezEDIT, I wasn't implying that you're learning disabled. Occasionally, I get so excited about using a new technology that I forget the simplest of things--like reading requirements. Guess I'm the only one.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

RockLord
Jan 6, 2000, 06:27 PM

In MHO iTools is a nice idea, it is just too bad they only implemeted them for OS9 users. I am a big time Mac fan, but i really hate any company that uses these kind of cheap tactics to get more money from me. Apple is starting to look and act more like the Evil Empire all the time. First they took away the save file funtionality of the old quicktime (PAY EXTRA FOR IT IN THE SO CALLED QUICKTIME PRO!!!), Then, when i go to their revamped site to try out these new iTools, i lose my Netscape Navigator because someone at Apple decided that version i was using is too out dated to be secure for ecommerce (like I give a flying you know what about ecommerce!!!!!)
So I fall for this , waste more time finding and installing Netscape 4.6 and guess what, it's a piece of excrement that barely works!
Geez thanks!!! More time wasted. Now Just try and use it too view a QT online, GOOD LUCK! Yeah, iTools, sure pal. More gitch and less functionality.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2000, 08:34 AM

e-mail mac.com for OS 8 users:

Zwilnik and all others,

as you write that it is provided by Apple just for US and Canada - do you mean all the iTools features, just iDisk or any other subset?

If somebody knows a way to get such an e-mail account to work with OS 8.x. let me know

[email protected].

I would love to have e-Mail account at mac.com (I do not care for the other iTools features at the moment, just the e-mail)!

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Walter.

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2000, 09:59 AM

It looks to me that the e-mail account would work from most e-mail programs on most platforms. They have it set up so you can't turn it on without itools but once it's on it should usable on just about any e-mail program.

It does look like iDisk requires MacOS9's Appleshare over TCP/IP features.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

Tom Reyes
Jan 7, 2000, 10:39 AM

It took me a while to realize what is needed to use iTools. I first installed it with Communicator 4.71 and got a message that the mime was incorrect or something. It also had the iTools plug in as "iTools Plug In" whereas the plug in was spelled "iTools Plug-in." So, I renamed it and got the same message. I eventually went down to Navigator 4.08 (and btw, it's no longer on Netscape's FTP server.) SO, you have to turn on your File Sharing stuff and I think that ShareWay IP. It sucks Apple didn't exlpain it further, as if everyone who has a dial up connection has their file sharing stuff turned on.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2000, 02:29 PM

Hello all,

Problem solved, my mac.com e-mail account is running fine under Mac OS 8.1 using faithful Eudora Light 3.1.3 as mail client.

By the way, it is a receive-only (POP3) account, so no sending (SMTP) is possible via mac.com.

At the moment I did not care about the other features of iTools.

As to people outside both US and Canada, one has just to enter a US state like CA or NY and a valid zip code like 90210 (California) or good old Manhattan zip code 10012 when registering.

Best regards,

Walter
[email protected]

Jeff Edsell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2000, 05:03 PM

Tadd,

For a quicker way to get to your iDisk:

After it appears on the desktop, make an alias or Add to Favorites. Then you won't even need to open a web browser to get to it.

Jeff Edsell

scott
Jan 10, 2000, 09:21 AM

Question: How do you get an iDisk, both my own and a public folder, to mount without having to do several steps with a browser. I've been tossing files back and forth with a friend and it works great but the process of mounting them is too tedious. Aliases don't work. They just lead to a idisk.mac.com password dialog that I don't have an answer to.

Enter the username and password you created when you made your iTools account online.

Apple decided that version i was using is too out dated to be secure for ecommerce (like I give a flying you know what about ecommerce!!!!!)

This isn't Apple's fault at all. They didn't create the error message. It's a well-documented Netscape bug:

"Since Jan. 1, millions of people using older versions of Netscape and Microsoft Web browsers may be having trouble accessing some personal finance and e-commerce sites. It isn't because of the dreaded Y2K bug. Instead, it's because electronic credentials embedded in browsers were set to expire on Dec. 31 at midnight."
http://www.herald.com:80/content/tue...ocs/055740.htm

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2000, 09:35 AM

mount iDisk without browser:

(you must be online, AppleShare enabled)

open the chooser, select AppleShare icon and click on the server address button, enter "idisk.mac.com" and enter your iTools name and password when prompted to do so.

bingo, iDisk is mounted.

BTW, one should have filesharing (and its associated inits) AND appleshare enabled to use iTools

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-10-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2000, 10:12 AM

iTools will run on nearly anything: http://www.acts.org/itoolstrick/

James Doyle
Jan 13, 2000, 01:09 AM

It's all very well to suggest that non-US/Canada residents falsify their address (yes I thought of it), but that is specifically contrary to the terms of usage in the agreement. That is why what Apple has done is such a rude act in the eyes of the international community. They actively sought attention for iTools by actually emailing invitations to addresses that clearly are on other continents, and yet you only find out after downloading the installer and proceeding, that it is for US/Canada users only.

And yes, I agree that it is a big assumption that everyone has Appleshare turned on. Most savvy stand-alone machine users would have it off.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2000, 01:15 AM

email Apple at [email protected] and explain your position regarding this matter... it is rather insensitive of Apple to have done this.

TomeOne
Jan 17, 2000, 08:15 AM

I remember signing up for iTools, and it wouldn't work (browser couldn't use the plug-in). After many frustrating minutes later I found out you need APPLESHARE enabled, an iDisk is a Appleshare volume, probably that's why it doesn't let you in without having Appleshare enabled (I enabled file sharing just in case too, haven't tested it without yet)

Tina
Jan 18, 2000, 07:28 PM

iTools on older MacOS?

Yes, there is a patch that makes it possible to use the iTools Installer 1.0.1 on MacOS 8.X.

Take a look at http://homepage.mac.com/misve/

themacwonder
Jan 19, 2000, 11:07 PM

Does anyone have a copy of iTools_installer1.01?
I would like a copy to use with the patch for 8.6.
thanks

Oliver
Jan 19, 2000, 11:42 PM

Hi, pretty interesting stuff. One BIG question though. I am using 8.6, but my OS 9 upgrade( I recently bought a DV)is on it's way from Apple. Question: should I choose my
first choice e-mail addy now or wait till I get OS9? I mean, I don't want Apple to delete my first choice should they find out I used this "patch". Do you guys foresee any problems with this? Good stuff guys. Regards.
Oliver

Tina
Jan 20, 2000, 03:19 AM

To Olivier in first place:

Register your iTools account (and your mac.com address) as soon as possible. When registered it doesn't matter in what way and with what OS you are connecting to iTools.

There should be no problems with this what so ever.

Tina

Tina
Jan 20, 2000, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by themacwonder:
Does anyone have a copy of iTools_installer1.01?
I would like a copy to use with the patch for 8.6.
thanks
There's a new patch for the iTools 1.0.2 installer at http://homepage.mac.com/misve/

Tina

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2000, 04:59 PM

How does one SEND mail using @mac.com. I tried using my ISP SMTP settings but that didn't seem to work. And of course leaving the SMTP settings blank doesn't do it either.

I'm using Eudora pro 4.2.2 if that matters.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

themacwonder
Jan 20, 2000, 10:54 PM

Thank you sooooo much, Tina

Tina
Jan 21, 2000, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by madgreek:
How does one SEND mail using @mac.com. I tried using my ISP SMTP settings but that didn't seem to work. And of course leaving the SMTP settings blank doesn't do it either.

I'm using Eudora pro 4.2.2 if that matters.
First of all; I guess that you created a new account setting or profile (or whatever it is named in Eudora).

The absolutely best solution when doing this is to copy a working account setting and just change the field "email address" (or "email respond address") to your mac.com address. This means that you actually use your old account, but the reciever will see your mac.com address as the sender.

Second; pretty many ISPs have done some tricks to block spammers to use their services. On common action is to "POP-before-you-post". That means that you have to collect mailings from your account before you can send from it (especially when you are using a "non-standard" email respond address). The "POP-before-you-post" action usually must be done in a period of 5 minutes.

Hope this will help,

Tina

MikeW
Jan 30, 2000, 12:40 AM

Make sure you run the install while it's on the desktop. I confirmed that was my issue when I had a strange out of memory message come up when doing iDisk.. I ran the installer again from the desktop,instead of a subfolder and it worked fine.
Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules