Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So I'm getting a G5...

View Poll Results: Which display should I get
Poll Options:
The 17' will do just fine! 2 votes (11.11%)
Go for the 20'! You'll be happy you did later! 16 votes (88.89%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
So I'm getting a G5...
teknik
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 05:33 PM

Well, for my graduation present my parents are willing to buy me a G5+Apple Display for school in the Fall. Yes, I know updates are imminent, but my parents want to give me something on the day of my grad party, instead of waiting a few weeks. They claim it will add a 'memorable moment' Anyways I have a few questions regarding a display. My folks are willing to get the 17' monitor for me, but is will this be adequate for my needs in the future (Im going to an Art college, plus this computer needs to last atleast 3/4+ years) Im using the best of my ability to convince them that the 20' would suit my needs better, and I even offered to pay the difference in price between the two monitors.

Is it worth it? The $600 difference is quite substantial, but it's also worth the money. What would you guys do in my situation?

My order is as dollows:

Code:
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz Z09Y 5-7 bus.days Remove $2,389.00 $2,389.00 Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 065-4774 Bluetooth Module 065-4292 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4168 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256 065-4356 Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-4777 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm 065-4376 Accessory kit 065-4775 ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 065-4449 Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English 065-4161 56k V.92 internal modem 065-4166 Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel) M7649ZM/B Same bus.day Remove $599.00 $599.00

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 17, 2004, 05:52 PM

This isnt even a debate.
20" is ridiculously more useable than the 17".
Ive owned both, I went to a four year design school using presumably the same software you'll be using.
Do whatever it takes to get the 20", if you get the the 17" it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth in an otherwise sweet situation.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Wes
Apr 17, 2004, 07:06 PM

I too, have owned both the 17" and 20" Apple Displays, and would highly recommend going for the 20". Not only have I found it much easier to "multitask", but the screen itself seems to be higher quality (contrast/brightness).

The 17" would be a great screen, but the 20" really does blow it out of the water.

iCol
Senior User
Apr 17, 2004, 07:08 PM

I own the 17", I love it.

But would love a 20". However, I don't think I NEED it.

If you can convince your folks, go for it. But you could do alot with that $600, including getting a second computer, even possibly a PC, do make sure you are set for any situation your course throws at you.

col
F is for Fooyork.

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by iCol:
I own the 17", I love it.

But would love a 20". However, I don't think I NEED it.

If you can convince your folks, go for it. But you could do alot with that $600, including getting a second computer, even possibly a PC, do make sure you are set for any situation your course throws at you.

col
Thanks for your insight! I already have a loaded 2.4 P4 self-built system and a 800mhz G4 iBook, so I'm pretty much covered there. Its just that I'm so sick of using a PC as my main computer, Windows is just getting in my way in too many instances. Its funny how I'm so much more productive on a 800mhz G4 than a 2.4ghz P4!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 09:18 PM

The 17" is adequate, the 20" is luxurious.

Though consider this - you could add a lot of RAM for the $600 difference, and that may end up being more important than the display.

Personally, I might think about this - take the money you would have spent on the 20" Apple and get two non-Apple 17" displays (say, $400-$450 each; still cheaper than one Apple 20") and spend the left over $$ on RAM.

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 18, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
The 17" is adequate, the 20" is luxurious.

Though consider this - you could add a lot of RAM for the $600 difference, and that may end up being more important than the display.

Personally, I might think about this - take the money you would have spent on the 20" Apple and get two non-Apple 17" displays (say, $400-$450 each; still cheaper than one Apple 20") and spend the left over $$ on RAM.
Yeah, you could even get two 19" flat CRTs for REAL cheap. I have friends who do that in a design envrionment.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

teknik  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2004, 01:08 AM

CRT's are really out of the question, the place I will be living in is absolutely miniscule, and my new desk with have to make the most out of it.

On the topic of other brand monitors, I'm trying to veer away from them, I know some are better and cheaper, but I've wanted an Apple display since the old 15' days, and now I'm finally under the circumstances to get one of my own! Needless to say, I'm very excited!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 12:32 PM

Apple monitors are very, very good. Better than most, but not the best. In terms of pixel response time, pixel-per-dollar ratio and other features (inputs, calibration options), there are some better displays out there.

However, if you're hell bent on getting an Apple display, then I'd suggest the 20".
A single 17" can get small quickly if you like to have multiple apps open at once.

However, two non-Apple 17" or one non-Apple 20" (1600x1200) could be less expensive, give better pixel response time, more pixels, and other features...

Since space is at a premium for you - if you take your PC with you, you'll need a display for that, too. And getting a KVI switch on to an Apple ADC display is an expensive project. Thus it might make more sense (space and dollar wise) to consider a non-Apple display with dual inputs - DVI for the Mac, VGA for the PC.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 12:42 PM

Have them give you the display now and then buy the computer right before you leave. Seriously. You will regret having jumped the gun if you get it now.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 01:31 PM

Spring for the 20" (if you're gonna be happy with it), it'll be worth it. When I got my G5, I was faced with the similar choice of 20 vs. 23. It seems like an outrageous amount of money to spend for 3" of screen, but it is deffinantly worth it, especially for photoshop or such. 17" is fine for email & surfing, okay for some games, adequate for iMovie. However, you'll appreciate the extra screen turf if you're doing multiple apps (less expose use), or running apps that like a lot of room (photoshop).

Yah, you'll need to spring for ram sooner than later. But consider your options. 17" monitor + 1 gig memory (from crucial, not from the over priced Apple store) is about the same as a 20" cinema display. Fine, but if you grow tired of the 17' and want a 20", you've got to eat the expense of you 17" monitor. $600 for 17", turn around and sell it used when the new monitors come out for $300 (or whatever), then spend whatever the new 20" costs. Think I'd just spring for the 20". Unless, you are seriously planning on upgrading to a 23" or the rumored 30" soon, then I'd go with the 17" and unload it when you can afford the big boy.

Is it just me, or did I just write a confused mess of a reply? Ah well...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules