Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What race are you?

View Poll Results: Census data
Poll Options:
White 89 votes (63.57%)
Black 10 votes (7.14%)
Hispanic 19 votes (13.57%)
Asian 12 votes (8.57%)
Native American 5 votes (3.57%)
Middle Eastern 5 votes (3.57%)
American (from US) 34 votes (24.29%)
North American (not from US) 11 votes (7.86%)
European 31 votes (22.14%)
Asian 8 votes (5.71%)
Australian/New Zealander 7 votes (5.00%)
Other part of the world (please specify) 10 votes (7.14%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll
What race are you? (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2005, 06:51 PM

U.S. American of mostly European descent. My primary ancestors mostly came from Britain (including England and Wales, but not excluding either Ireland or Scottland), but there is also some Continental heritage, though I don't know exactly how much. And of course I'm part Cherokee as well-as much as 1/16th (which equates to one great-grandparent, but it's more complex than that-two greats that were half Cherokee).

I voted "American" because 1) I'm relatively pink, not white-though right now some parts of me are a bit browner than they are in the winter, 2) The Caucusus Mountains are NOT home to any light-skinned European group, so "caucasian" is fallacious, and 3) as with most "Americans" whose families have been here for more than just a few generations, my family tree includes both a significant mix of ethnicities and genetic sources, and some significant non-European sources as well. The term "Heinz 57" works here-though I have a good idea of where most of my heritage came from, I like to think that I got the best the world has to offer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Just curious, how would those words be pronounced? with the A-Z alphabet, not Russian characters.
Pronounciations:
черная сотня - chyórnaya sótnya (´ indicates stress)
Житомир - Zhítomir (long i sounds)

Bacground:
In 1905 a group known as Союз русского народа (Sayúz rúskovo naróda - The Union of the Russian People), aka Черная сотня (The Black Hundreds) was founded. It was based on a devotion to the tsar, the Russian Orthodox Church, and Russia. They were a strongly anti-semitic group actively supporting pogroms and perpetrating various attacks on Jews throughout Russia. One of those attacks just happened to be in Житомир, where my great-grandfather was a 6 year old Jewish boy.

On 24 April 1905 черносотенцы (chyónosotentsy - black-hundredists) attacked Jews in Białystok, Poland and Житомир, where my great-grandfather lived. In Житомир the police worked to prevent Jews from defending themselves. The attacks continues for two days until a group of Jews broke into the governor's office and basically took him hostage until the attacks ended, which they did almost immediately.

Six months later was what is known as the 'blackest week in Russian Jewish history', 18-25 October 1905. During this week the Черная сотня along with other anti-Semitic groups carried out attacks throughout Russia killing hundreds, wounding thousands, and destroying over 40,000 homes and shops. That year 200,000 Jews fled the country for the West and Eretz Israel.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
German/Russian/Spanish/Potugese/Mongolian/English/Irish/North African. My family is crazy we never know what anyone will look like, my brother has black hair and is short where as I'm blonde blue eyed and 6 foot. Though if you're jewish you might understand better if I said im 50/50 sfardi/ashkenazi
I briefly met two beautiful Sephardim (sisters) at this year's Israel Independence Day Festival in Los Angeles. The thought briefly came to mind, "I wonder what the progeny of such a union would come out like." Got their email addresses - only Hashem knows what the future may hold.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 10, 2005 at 07:26 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Pronounciations:
черная сотня - chyórnaya sótnya (´ indicates stress)
Житомир - Zhítomir (long i sounds)

Bacground:
In 1905 a group known as Союз русского народа (Sayúz rúskovo naróda - The Union of the Russian People), aka Черная сотня (The Black Hundreds) was founded. It was based on a devotion to the tsar, the Russian Orthodox Church, and Russia. They were a strongly anti-semitic group actively supporting pogroms and perpetrating various attacks on Jews throughout Russia. One of those attacks just happened to be in Житомир, where my great-grandfather was a 6 year old Jewish boy.

On 24 April 1905 черносотенцы (chyónosotentsy - black-hundredists) attacked Jews in Białystok, Poland and Житомир, where my great-grandfather lived. In Житомир the police worked to prevent Jews from defending themselves. The attacks continues for two days until a group of Jews broke into the governor's office and basically took him hostage until the attacks ended, which they did almost immediately.

Six months later was what is known as the 'blackest week in Russian Jewish history', 18-25 October 1905. During this week the Черная сотня along with other anti-Semitic groups carried out attacks throughout Russia killing hundreds, wounding thousands, and destroying over 40,000 homes and shops. That year 200,000 Jews fled the country for the West and Eretz Israel.
Thanks for the info.

History was my best subject last year... Even though I have the worst memory in the world.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 08:43 PM

1/2 Norwich
1/2 West London
1/2 Sussex

Its crazy, no surprise I'm messed up in the head.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by badidea
You either forgot to vote or the picture you posted of yourself wasn't you!!!
OK, I've voted.

I'm black and from the US.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 10:55 PM

Where is jew?

I'm half honky, half jew of russian decent.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
1/2 Norwich
1/2 West London
1/2 Sussex

Its crazy, no surprise I'm messed up in the head.
That's because your 1 and a half people!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Just what exactly is "white"?
I don't know.. I would have voted 'white' if there wasn't an Australia/NZ catergory.. although how I see that as being any different from other white people is beyond me. but hey, like someone else said, asian is on there twice, so who knows. Hehe this is the lounge.. all fun and games.

Originally Posted by storer
White Australian, here. I am peeved that New Zealand got teamed with us... bahhhh! JJ
Yeah I'm peeved too.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I'm human. You know the human race. Christ, didn't you learn anything in biology?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 09:41 AM

Homo Sapien, with Sicilian ancestry.

Now get your f'kin shinebox.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Where is jew?
That's not a race. It's a religion.

Then again, most of these options aren't races...

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 11, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoshu

Eh, I know people that are jewish, that aren't religious.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I think that's true, one way or another for many people, especially those in North America. I mean I consider myself Hispanic because both sides of my family came from Spain hundreds of years ago. But my great grandmothers on my dad's side weren't. One was Native American and one was a blonde, blue-eyed French-Canadian woman.

Blonde and blue eyed french Canadian is prob a Metis Native
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Out of curiosity, what exactly is "hispanic"? In Europe that word doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

I'm of south-slavic origin by the way.
In Canada it means some one from Middle America, mostly associated with Mexicans. In the US it means a resource drain working illegally and some one you can pay a lot less to and treat like ****

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Eh, I know people that are jewish, that aren't religious.
So? I'm catholic and not religious!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 01:18 PM

White Australian, here. I am peeved that New Zealand got teamed with us... bahhhh! JJ

im happy that Canadians and Americans didnt get lumped together

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2005, 01:51 PM

If that were true there wouldn't be things like Tay-Sachs that pretty much only affects Ashkenazi Jews.

Jews are a genetically distinct portion of the human population with their own distinguishing physical characteristics. As much a race as any other. Well, it might be more accurate to say that there are multiple Jewish races: Sephardi, Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, &c.

But just because there is a Jewish religion that anyone, regardless of their genetics, can belong to doesn't also mean there can't also be a Jewish race(s). In fact the religion is what gave rise to the races because Jews have for thousands of years been forces into their own separate and insular communities resulting in genetic divergence from the non-Jewish populations.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 02:11 PM

( Last edited by von Wrangell; Jun 11, 2005 at 02:24 PM. )

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2005, 02:18 PM

My race = human.
Skin color is irrelevant. We are all the same on the inside, just different appearance on the outside.
:)

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 02:54 PM

Having once heard a lecture from Mary-Claire King (a world famous geneticist) on the non-measurability of race, I suggest that many web sites contain information on the subject. A typical example is http://www.africanbynature.com/newsl...eissocial.html
She states that there is NO accepted scientific definition and that color arose several different times in human evolution at different places, so that is not a valid indicator. For those who believe that Jews are different, I suggest that many converted to Christianity in the last couple of centuries and even British Royalty and Jesus claim direct descent from King David. sam

iBabo
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
I'm Caucasian. This summer I'm taking a vacation to the mother-land of Caucasia. Its gonna be awesome.
im armenian.. 100% armenian. although no one from my family has lived in armenia for over 200 years. but i was born in France, so by nationality im french. also, just thought id point out that the term caucasian comes from the caucasus region, and the caucasus mountain range, which is where armenia is located.
smile like you mean it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2005, 03:30 PM

I always felt that my "race" was "human," but based on the options provided, I chose the best fit for me. My nationality is U.S. American (as opposed to simply "North American," which describes Canadians and Mexicans as well).

I have visited all three countries in North America, something that not that many people have done, apparently. I've also liveded in Panamá and Honduras, and have visited the Cayman Islands. Not exactly a world traveler, but more well-traveled than a lot of people.

In all my travels, I've seen a lot of people who looked different from me. Of course that means that I looked different from THEM. Not a single one has looked less human than me, and I hope I haven't looked less human to them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Blonde and blue eyed french Canadian is prob a Metis Native
What makes you say that?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Not a single one has looked less human than me, and I hope I haven't looked less human to them.
That is beautiful.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 05:49 PM

We should have topics on hair color, eye color, height, weight... And they would be just as relevent.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 06:32 PM

I just clicked Hispanic because that's the lump that the U.S. made for us. The bad thing is that even if you had made the option South/Central American, that would have referred to a population of native-caucasian-asian-black mutts. Most people are mutts south of the U.S..

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 07:57 PM

I'm "hispanic", as I am Cuban-American. However, it should be noted that "hispanic" is not a race, maybe an "ethnic group" of such, but definitely not a race. My grandparents were mostly spanish, who came and settled in Cuba, though my grandfather fought against the spaniards in the war for Cuban Independence. Most Cubans, in fact, are from Spanish decent, or black (due to the slave trade). The natives of Cuba were almost totally wiped out after the arrival of the spanish on Cuba, unfortunately. There are even some Asian Cubans, from Asians who came to find work in Cuba and stayed. It is this inter-racial mix that defines Cuban culture.

Edit: Therefore, there are "White" Cubans, Black Cubans, and Asian Cubans, among other combinations.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Jun 11, 2005 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added more info.)

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 08:13 PM

I'm a reddish-blonde, green eyed caucasian currently living near Toronto, whose roots go back hundreds of years in Newfoundland. My ancestors arrived there from the British Isles in the 1600's.

What is "American (not from the US)" supposed to be, if not hispanic or "native"? Canadian?
Absolutely. Randman should have spelled it out for us.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 08:15 PM

It's a race and a religion.

I'm not religious either, but if you take a look at me, I definitally look like a big 'ol Jew. I can spot a jew 75% of the time. I have Jewdar.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by t6hawk
My race = human.
Skin color is irrelevant. We are all the same on the inside, just different appearance on the outside.
Chinese people have much smaller feet.

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 09:49 PM

Technically, I'm a black american. I'll leave it at that...

The Jewish question, however, is not a simple matter of a single race... historically, the "original" Jews were from the middle east (current day Arabic regions and north/north-west Africa), and would likely be considered Arabic (as far as "race" goes). European Jews are largely the result of religious conversion and/or inter-marriage with middle eastern Jews.

There is a lot of "racial" variation in the Jewish community, and being Jewish really revolves around cultural and religious traditions more than genetics; the "Jewish Race" issue was largely sparked by christian persecution, and particularly Nazism.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 11, 2005, 10:09 PM

Half Hispanic (mix of Spanish and native Central American), and Half Irish with an English name. Must be a tiny bit of English in the family tree.

I think my heritage well explains my love of beer.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 10:40 PM

I will also add to the sentiment that I feel foremost an intelligent being and human, beyond race and culture. However, I think these provide a great opportunity for us to learn more about our species and to share in the unique aspects of each culture and group.

Jose Martí, Cuba's "founding father", if you will-- a poet, lawyer, writer and revolutionary leader (against spanish control) took the position that sharing in and learning about different peoples and cultures adds to our understanding of humanity.

Yes, we are all basically "the same", because we are all sentient beings, specifially human. But to learn about the unique cultural differences between us I think (as Jose Martí) enriches us. e should embrace our differences, rather than disregard or reject them.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
What makes you say that?

Oh it just ends up being a good guess, the last few blond quebecurs ive meet where metis, might be Metis myself if the QB Government would release my grandpas birth records which they wont because he was adobted.

Nothing bad was ment by it.

vexborg
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 06:42 AM

European (not really a race), but with 75% Scandinavian and 25% Spanish blood rolling in my veins...

The 25% Spanish only come through when you look at my hairyness.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal
I'm curious, from my post what would the folks on MacNN think I am?
i also know from that picture you posted awhile back.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 12:14 PM

For those interested in real science and the subject of race:

tree
http://ycc.biosci.arizona.edu/nomenc...stem/fig1.html

explanation of tree
http://www.halcyondays.com/dna/haplo...ssignments.htm

rough map
http://www.dnaheritage.com/masterclass2.asp

sam

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2005, 12:19 PM

I'm 100% italian

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Just what exactly is "white"?
And more importantly,

Samuel L Jackson: "Do they speak English in white!??"
Genius. You know who.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2005, 05:28 PM

Hey I'm a white New Zealander and I'm peeved I got lumped in with Australians

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 08:24 PM

Is white supremist Nazi skinhead considered a race? If so, would it be considered the MASTER race?

This once lively thread immediately ground to a halt and stayed halted for FIVE HOURS!

Hahahaha! You guys, I swear!

It's like a steaming brown one is spotted floating in the pool.

( Last edited by Eynstyn; Jun 13, 2005 at 01:24 AM. )
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Jews are a genetically distinct portion of the human population with their own distinguishing physical characteristics.
Bullsh1t. Where did you pick that up, - some Nazi propaganda meterial?

Where is the genetical distinction? What "physical characteristics"?

Pluuhheazz. Judaism is a religion, and as far as "races" go there isn't a single group of people on this planet who don't share a multitude of genetic traits with other (seemingly unrelated) groups, so that at closer (genetic) examination, no real distinction can be made AT ALL!

Hell, we as humans only have a 3% genetic difference to Bonobos.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 04:05 AM

i was born here in los angeles, but my parents are armenian....makes me armenian/american
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 04:23 AM

I'm as white as they come. Take a bunch of Scottish, Irish, English, German, Danish, and who knows what other genes, mix em up and you have me. Blah.

However I'm a redhead which is kind of like a sub-race in itself. 1 percent of the world's population and falling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules