Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. Muslims desecrate American flag

U.S. Muslims desecrate American flag (Page 2)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bubblewrap
hollybook = Holy Book.

Whatever.
I can play the same game.

Are you sure Canada isn't pissing people off?
Ever been to the Mosquito Coast?

And cut the NAZI ********.

Remember Islam/islamic countries loves homosexuals.

I have several Islamic friends who where the most supportive of me when I came out and told people I was bi, good people are good people regardless of there faith, nationality, ethnic background. Cut the Anti Canada crap, I'll cut the Nazi Crap.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 09:13 AM

ANd another thing, Canadians hate America so much, you sure don't mind working for American manufacturing. (auto industry, vegetable processing, appliance manufacturing)

I'm curious as to how many Canadians work for American manufacturers.
That would actually make Canada part of the "hate the consumer" problem.

And you cut the anti-American crap.
( Last edited by bubblewrap; Jun 10, 2005 at 09:43 AM. )
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
regardless of there faith, nationality, ethnic background. Cut the Anti Canada crap, I'll cut the Nazi Crap.
You started the infantile jabs so stop whining about getting return fire.

It's their not there.

suuuuurrre they were supportive. I have pictures from REAL muslems to prove my point and you have a baseless made up statement that we are supposed to believe.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 10, 2005, 10:06 AM

I know this was said earlier, but really now. If the liberals are all for Islam, then do they also hate gays?

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:13 AM

Why do people bash 'liberals'? We live in a liberal society. Republicans are liberal. Democrats are liberal. People talking about American 'freedom'. You know what liberal means? It means free.

No wonder americans have this vast world wide stereotype for being completely stupid.

PS. Get over it. It's only a flag. Seriously. No excuse for the large amount of racism I see going on here.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 10:17 AM

You live in the UK.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:18 AM

And?

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 10:27 AM

It's not your country's flag so you can't possibly understand.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 10:27 AM

"We live in a liberal society. Republicans are liberal. Democrats are liberal. People talking about American 'freedom'. You know what liberal means? It means free."

You don't live in the USA. You wrote "WE"...

Actually, most Republicans are conservative & moderate, and many Democrats are as well. It's how Bush got elected. The majority are as such, not liberal. The liberals of today are not who you are describing.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
The interesting thing, is that no onlookers or Americans went crazy because of the flag desecration by the enemy.
Other then "the interesting thing", I would hope it be "the natural thing" to not get tizzied by such an act. Not so.

It's nothing more than a piece of cloth imprinted with a symbol.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:38 AM

But WE still live in a liberal society. That means the UK, the USA and most of the western world. What you are talking about isn't true liberalism. All this 'pop' politics is jut about creating sides. What you are talking about is not liberalism. You are talking about slight left-wing, and slight right-wing varients within liberalsim. Liberalism is an ethos that values individual liberty more than anything else. Isn't that what america is supposed to be all about, regardless of party politics?

And about it not being my flag, so I wouldn't understand. I'm not proud of my flag at all. It's a symbol used more for hatred than it is for something positive. I have no respect for any flag. I only have respect for people who treat others as they expect to be treated (often called the golden rule of morality). America hasn't got quite as much blood on their hands as the British, I'd be the first to admit (though they are catching up it seems), but I wouldn't be any more proud of your red white and blue than I am of mine. Don't be proud of nations or symbols; be proud of people, if pride is deserved.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesky
Other then "the interesting thing", I would hope it be "the natural thing" to not get tizzied by such an act. Not so.

This guy said most of what I said much more quickly and effectively. Thanks.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 10:44 AM

So why should "they" get whipped up into a murderous frenzy over ALLEGATIONS that someone MIGHT have flushed some meaningless pieces of paper down a commode?

Are "they" being overreactive? Hateful? Idiotic?

Or are they excused because they seem oppressed?

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 10:46 AM

'They' should just get over it as much as 'you' should get over a flag being 'disrespected'. I'm not making out anyone to be heros or villains here. I'm not excusing anyone, never assume.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 11:02 AM

So you had nothing to add.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 11:04 AM

No, I'm saying you're all in the wrong for making a fuss out of nothing and just making excuses for hatred.

But I guess thats just what people are good at.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 11:10 AM

Our flag is sacred to us. That is a fact. It isn't just a piece of cloth with a symbol imprinted on it. It actually has no symbo imprinted on it. Shows how much you know of it. It is created with different collored cloth and stars, representing the story of our country. It's first day of freedom from being opressed. The flag that stood through the night. Through the fight. It still waved at the dawns early light.

It represents Americans, and 'THEY" know this, hence their mistreatment over the many years meant to anger us. But, they don't understand us very well. Sure it makes us upset, but we allow it to be desecrated because it is the very symbol which represents our FREEDOMS. The irony is so thick it's funny.

I'm over it by the way. How can you stay upset with a bunch of monkies stomping on our flag? They look like a bunch of foolish children. Has anyone of you viewed the video?

I'd like to see the reactions though, of those same people as someone stepped on the Koran and then really flushed it down a commode. That would be interesting.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 11:13 AM

New Product from Rrelco.. the flushable Koran! Yes, you can flush it over and over again!
What do you get?

I'm glad you asked!
You will receive your very own Koran, a port-a-toilet, and some ransid piss water to flush!
That's not all, we'll not only send you 1 Koran, not 2!!! but 6 Korans! Enough for the entire family to FLUSH.

What would you pay for this?

$50?
$60?

Well, it's only $9.99, How can we price them so low?

Because we have procurred extra Korans from Gitmo at an unbelievably pre-flushed price of $1.00 each.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 11:23 AM

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Our flag is sacred to us. That is a fact. It isn't just a piece of cloth with a symbol imprinted on it. It actually has no symbo imprinted on it. Shows how much you know of it. It is created with different collored cloth and stars, representing the story of our country. It's first day of freedom from being opressed. The flag that stood through the night. Through the fight. It still waved at the dawns early light.
Oh, well that's different. Then I guess it's not a symbol after all.

Different-colored cloth and stars go a long way, apparently.

JERRYJERRYJERRY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
There are days when I wonder, to be honest.
The Ten Commandments (KJV)
Exodus 20:1-17

1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
The flag is not the Lord. Show HIM the reverence not a flag.
What the world needs now is love, sweet love. But that doesn't mean you should shtupp everyone you love.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 11:45 AM

ANd another thing, Canadians hate America so much, you sure don't mind working for American manufacturing. (auto industry, vegetable processing, appliance manufacturing)

I'm curious as to how many Canadians work for American manufacturers.
That would actually make Canada part of the "hate the consumer" problem.

And you cut the anti-American crap.

you mean the American based Chinese owned companies? Prob as many as the ones working for Canadian based Chinese owned companies. Whats your point? Are you bitter that your companies are exporting all your jobs around the world?

I would love to cut the anti bush crap but the problem is bush is still in office, and for the Anti American crap, I really would love to but there are just to many anti canadian posts being made.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs
No, I'm saying you're all in the wrong for making a fuss out of nothing and just making excuses for hatred.

But I guess thats just what people are good at.

The point that you have totally missed is the hypocracy of it all.

I have no right to be offended, but they can go on murderous tirades over a worthless book.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by JERRYJERRYJERRY
The flag is not the Lord. Show HIM the reverence not a flag.
Dude; I wasn't saying I see it as a religious symbol. I don't. However, many Americans do treat the flag with an almost religious fervor, to the point where I'm sometimes forced to wonder if nationalism is the new religion. Seriously. There are more than a few Americans, even among the deeply religious, who view and treat the flag with even more reverence than their own sacred texts.
( Last edited by Millennium; Jun 10, 2005 at 04:49 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 12:29 PM

Yes, the flag is a piece of cloth with some stars and stripes on it. It's what the flag represents that's important of course, not the piece of cloth itself.

The koran is also nothing but some pieces of paper with some ink on it, and silly messages.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 01:15 PM

Instead of spending billions and sacrificing millions going to war, let's all (all sides) just piss on the "other side's" symbols in perpetuity. We could even have a special olympics with games where the arc and distance of the pee-age counts, how saturated the symbol gets within a certain time period, how deeply offended the other side gets, etc. Urologists would be standing by in case of accidents or for strategic advice.

I'd like to handle the t-shirt and big sponge pointing finger sales.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 01:23 PM

Instead of spending billions and sacrificing millions going to war, let's all (all sides) just piss on the "other side's" symbols in perpetuity. We could even have a special olympics with games where the arc and distance of the pee-age counts, how saturated the symbol gets within a certain time period, how deeply offended the other side gets, etc. Urologists would be standing by in case of accidents or for strategic advice.

I'd like to handle the t-shirt and big sponge pointing finger sales.
Actually, you're on to something here.

Why should the USA send any people out to war, when we can do it much more economically, without putting anybody into harms way.

Your suggestion is a good one. Let the enemy burn all the American flags they wish. That's what they do on a daily basis anyhow in those crappy countries.

The USA will then proceed to print up hundreds of millions of korans and all good Americans will pee on them.

The enemy will get all worked up, and in their primitive rage and frenzy, they'll eventually all end up killing each other, since they'll be rioting 24-7.

So, I kind of like your plan.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 01:59 PM

The USA will then proceed to print up hundreds of millions of korans and all good Americans will pee on them.
Amendment XXVIII

Section 1. Let it be resolved thusly that All Good Americans shall pee on Bad Symbols, and the rights to whiz on same shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age, gender, race, incontinence or general bladder distress.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation and non-imported bottled water.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 02:39 AM

this thread is making me want to go find a US flag and burn it, should I video tape it for you guys to see?

budster101
Baninated
Jun 11, 2005, 10:24 AM

Sure, only if you wrap yourself in it first.

This your sig? Can't be animated if it is....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 10:29 AM

we cant have animated sigs :'(

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 11, 2005, 03:01 PM

this thread is making me want to go find a US flag and burn it, should I video tape it for you guys to see?
You do, and I'll wipe my ass with an America-lite (that's Canada for you thick headed folk) flag. No video though.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Fix your own country before you go worrying about us O.K.

Are you one of those people who donate money but not your time. You like to help others but not get your hands dirty.

Marv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2005, 03:58 PM

The first admandment applies to all I suppose.
The first amendment applies to US citizens. It is not international law.

As for your remarks about Islam, you are correct that your speech is protected.

However, casting hate upon all who are Muslims is wrong. That is bigotry.

It is one thing to stand for injustice, but another to punish everyone for the deeds of a few.

Marv

budster101
Baninated
Jun 11, 2005, 04:13 PM

Educated-sounding response: (read pointy head)

If Islam teaches hatred, then how can the hatred of the teachings of Islam be bigotry, when the source of the hatred is bigotry in and of itself?

Street-thug response:

Thuh bastuds hate us so we's hate-m back, yo!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
You do, and I'll wipe my ass with an America-lite (that's Canada for you thick headed folk) flag. No video though.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? Fix your own country before you go worrying about us O.K.

Are you one of those people who donate money but not your time. You like to help others but not get your hands dirty.
When assholes start making comments about people who happen to be my friends, your dam right im going to stick my nose into it. Not all Muslims are out to burn a flag, you cant base a entire people based on a group of idiots like the ones burning the US flag.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Educated-sounding response: (read pointy head)

If Islam teaches hatred, then how can the hatred of the teachings of Islam be bigotry, when the source of the hatred is bigotry in and of itself?

Street-thug response:

Thuh bastuds hate us so we's hate-m back, yo!

Islam doesn’t teach hate, extremist twist Islam and teach hate. Just like extremist Christians and so on...

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 12:50 PM

When assholes start making comments about people who happen to be my friends, your dam right im going to stick my nose into it. Not all Muslims are out to burn a flag, you cant base a entire people based on a group of idiots like the ones burning the US flag.
Right back at'ch buddy.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 01:09 PM

Islam doesn’t teach hate, extremist twist Islam and teach hate. Just like extremist Christians and so on...
Mainstream islam is indeed extremist, and Islam does indeed teach hate. How can so many imams, ayathollas and mullahs all across the globe interpert islam wrong, while you get it right (aren't you the clever one). I do not believe you, and you are no expert on Islam. I'll take the word of the mullahs, ayathollas, imams and other religious representatives of islam, over your sorry excuses. I'll take the word of hundreds of millions of muslims who admire Bin Laden, over yours.

Hopefully, the "peaceful" minority will win over the extremist, majority scumbags in their own religion. Time will tell, though I kind of doubt it, based upon past events and what we've seen so far.

"Extremist" christians do not concern me or bother me in the least. They are not out to kill me, and we are not waging any war against them.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 01:21 PM

The Extremist "Christian" abortion clinic bomber numbers are also VERY SMALL.

Such incidents have happened in very small numbers.

However, Islamic extremism is a global problem. There are things that happen DAILY by these groups.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jun 12, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

However, Islamic extremism is a global problem. There are things that happen DAILY by these groups.
More like HOURLY.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
The Extremist "Christian" abortion clinic bomber numbers are also VERY SMALL.

Such incidents have happened in very small numbers.

ignore the world for a minute and look at just your backyard as in North America. What problems do u see every day here.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:49 AM

Mainstream islam is indeed extremist, and Islam does indeed teach hate. How can so many imams, ayathollas and mullahs all across the globe interpert islam wrong, while you get it right (aren't you the clever one). I do not believe you, and you are no expert on Islam. I'll take the word of the mullahs, ayathollas, imams and other religious representatives of islam, over your sorry excuses. I'll take the word of hundreds of millions of muslims who admire Bin Laden, over yours.

Hopefully, the "peaceful" minority will win over the extremist, majority scumbags in their own religion. Time will tell, though I kind of doubt it, based upon past events and what we've seen so far.

"Extremist" christians do not concern me or bother me in the least. They are not out to kill me, and we are not waging any war against them.

The message of Islam is for the entire human race. According to Islam, Allah is the God of the entire world and Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is a messenger for the whole of mankind.

According to Islam, all men are equal, whatever be their color, language, race or nationality. Islam addresses itself to the conscience of humanity and banishes all false barriers of race, status and wealth. There can be no denying the fact that such barriers have always existed, and do exist even today in this so-called enlightened age. Islam, however, removes all these impediments and proclaims the idea of the whole of humanity being one family of God.

Islam is international in its outlook and approach. It does not admit barriers and distinctions based on color, clan, blood or territory such as were prevalent before the advent of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). These are rampant in different forms, even in this modern age.

Islam is a way of life that transcends race and ethnicity. The Glorious Qur’an repeatedly reminds us of our common origin:

(O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).) (Al-Hujrat: 13)

The eradication of race consciousness is one of the outstanding moral achievements of Islam. In the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue. It is conceivable that the spirit of Islam might be the timely reinforcement, which would decide this issue in favor of tolerance and peace, the historian A.J. Toynbee wrote in his book Civilization on Trial.

Islam unites the entire human race under one banner. To a world torn by national rivalries and feuds, it presents a message of life and hope, and of a glorious future.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:50 AM

As a Muslim, you should be cheerful and pleasant

There are people who think that “a perfect Muslim” is simply one who is correct in the observance of the salah (ritual Prayer), the fasting, the zakah (payment of a certain portion of one’s wealth to the poor), and the Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah). This indeed is not the case. If the ritual observances do not help the person to be humble, virtuous and truly God-fearing, then he or she is not a real Muslim. A Muslim should be good and just in dealing with others, no matter their religion, and take special care to keep away from all the shameful and sinful things Allah (God) has forbidden.

We can summarize the teachings of Islam about the Muslim character succinctly in this form:

Be truthful in everything, don’t lie.

Be sincere and straightforward, don’t be hypocritical.

Be honest, don’t be corrupt.

Be humble, don’t be boastful.

Be moderate, don’t be excessive.

Be reserved, don’t be garrulous.

Be soft-spoken, don’t be loud.

Be refined and gentle in speech, don’t cure and use foul language.

Be loving and solicitous to others, don’t be unmindful of them.

Be considerate and compassionate, don’t be harsh.

Be polite and respectful to people, don’t be insulting or disrespectful.

Be generous and charitable, don’t be selfish and miserly.

Be good natured and forgiving, don’t be bitter and resentful.

Share and be content with what Allah has given you, don’t be greedy.

Be cheerful and pleasant, don’t be irritable and morose.

Muslims should be loving to each other

Be chaste and pure, don’t be lustful.

Be alert and aware of the world around you, don’t be absent-minded.

Be dignified and decent, don’t be graceless.

Be optimistic and hopeful, don’t be cynical or pessimistic.

Be confident and have deep faith, don’t be doubtful and wavering.

Be spiritually oriented and not materialistic.

Be confident of the mercy of Allah, don’t be despairing and lose heart.

Be diligent and vigilant of your duties, don’t be negligent.

Be thankful to Allah and constantly pray to Him, don’t be forgetful of His innumerable blessings.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:58 AM

http://taarafu.islamonline.net/Engli...rticle22.shtml

Go to this page too, then perhaps you can stop being a typical American and look outside the box and see that your reading into stereotypes and propaganda. You cant look at Iraq as a example because Christians are the ones caring the guns controlling the Muslim country, when you look at it in that context you realize that Iraq is just another bah nm im wasting my time typing this. Be ignorant of the world, im proud to be Canadian, where color, race and religion doesn’t matter and we all live in peace and harmony here. All the power to you..

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 06:34 AM

How can so many imams, ayathollas and mullahs all across the globe interpert islam wrong, while you get it right (aren't you the clever one).
It's not all that different from how the Catholic Church was corrupted in the Middle Ages, and how the Protestants were similarly corrupted in the European religious wars. Religions seem to go through this phase after about 1000-1500 years; Christianity and Judaism did it too. Even Buddhism -probably the last religion anyone would suspect of such a thing- went through a phase like this. Islam is going through its own dark age now, right about on schedule (a bit late, even), but this seems to be a natural process. Perhaps it could be likened to a kind of adolescence?

None of this excuses the actions of the extremists, nor in any way diminishes their horror. However, it can serve to help explain what we are up against, and allows us a basis for comparison with other religions which have already gone through this phase. How did they recover? Might the same things which applied then also apply to Islam?

I suspect that a kind of schism is occurring in Islam, mostly along geographic lines, which explains the whole question about whether "mainstream Islam" is or is not extremist. The answer: it depends on where you go. Certainly in the US or Europe, the mainstream Islam practiced in the regions could not be called extremist. However, this becomes much harder to say as one approaches the Middle East: the mainstream in those regions is certainly harsher. Does it ever truly reach a point where the mainstream is truly extremist? That's debatable, but it's true that Islam is a very different religion depending on where one looks.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
It's not all that different from how the Catholic Church was corrupted in the Middle Ages, and how the Protestants were similarly corrupted in the European religious wars. Religions seem to go through this phase after about 1000-1500 years; Christianity and Judaism did it too. Even Buddhism -probably the last religion anyone would suspect of such a thing- went through a phase like this. Islam is going through its own dark age now, right about on schedule (a bit late, even), but this seems to be a natural process. Perhaps it could be likened to a kind of adolescence?

None of this excuses the actions of the extremists, nor in any way diminishes their horror. However, it can serve to help explain what we are up against, and allows us a basis for comparison with other religions which have already gone through this phase. How did they recover? Might the same things which applied then also apply to Islam?

I suspect that a kind of schism is occurring in Islam, mostly along geographic lines, which explains the whole question about whether "mainstream Islam" is or is not extremist. The answer: it depends on where you go. Certainly in the US or Europe, the mainstream Islam practiced in the regions could not be called extremist. However, this becomes much harder to say as one approaches the Middle East: the mainstream in those regions is certainly harsher. Does it ever truly reach a point where the mainstream is truly extremist? That's debatable, but it's true that Islam is a very different religion depending on where one looks.
A very good post. One might also argue in civilized countries or stable ones you have stable religion, extremists have a much hard time growing, in unstable countries its much easier for extremes to get a foot. You don’t have extremist in North America, or most of Europe or Australia as the mainstream and most Muslims on these countries frown on what’s going on in places like Iraq and Iran. Just like in Africa you have extremist Christians that are just as murderous as the extremist Muslims in the Middle East. Stable countries equal stable populations. I think that answers it best.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 08:14 AM

Athens, you forgot the real teachings behind satan's unholy false prophet mohammad.

During this haaj cult gathereing you go and kiss the magic meteor and throw rocks at the big brick.

You failed to post that those who aren't born arabic must pay extortion money to keep from being killed.

I've read the worthless lies of satan from cover to cover and found nothing of any redeeming value.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 08:32 AM

A very good post. One might also argue in civilized countries or stable ones you have stable religion, extremists have a much hard time growing, in unstable countries its much easier for extremes to get a foot. You don’t have extremist in North America, or most of Europe or Australia as the mainstream and most Muslims on these countries frown on what’s going on in places like Iraq and Iran. Just like in Africa you have extremist Christians that are just as murderous as the extremist Muslims in the Middle East. Stable countries equal stable populations. I think that answers it best.
I think extremists are always there, and in number.

They are part of the fringe groups waiting for the right conditions to be louder and more public, making adherents from the discontent of the times.

Racism has not been obliterated; it is just less public. All you need is a context of instability and all Hell brake lose. This is what dissent does in varying social conditions; ideas that do not make it to the general populations publicly until people get a reason to use it.

Boomstick previous post is a good example. This type of speech is lurking and waiting for the right conditions to come out. Extremist do not have to wear a white tunic and be members of the KKK (as an example, but the neo-nazis etc. all fall in the same category imho); basically they share ideas and get public when there are people to listen to them and rationalize what is said as truth. On the other hand, Islamist extremists do know the ropes and will play on people's sensibility to create group effects and make it look as if there are lots of adherents.

There is no doubt in my mind that masses of people cheering despots have this thought in mind: "Oh my God! I never thoought there could be so many of them!!! I better not show off or my life is over!"

Lots of people are applauding and have no idea why; yet, they do.

Some "fun" reading on this topic:Invasion from Mars. Although the paper presented here is challenging Cantril's position, there is a lot to learn from it and this source's opinion as well.

There are other studies more pertinent to my point, but I unfortunately do not have my books here. If I can track them back, I'll make sure to post it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoomStick
Athens, you forgot the real teachings behind satan's unholy false prophet mohammad.

During this haaj cult gathereing you go and kiss the magic meteor and throw rocks at the big brick.

You failed to post that those who aren't born arabic must pay extortion money to keep from being killed.

I've read the worthless lies of satan from cover to cover and found nothing of any redeeming value.
what are you talking about?

budster101
Baninated
Jun 13, 2005, 09:20 AM

Imagine me pissing on the Koran right now. aaaaahhhhhhhhh. <shake> </shake>

http://www.grsites.com/sounds/187919...r/water003.wav

Forum Links
Forum Rules