Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > How well does Sim City 4 perform on the latest generation of iMacs?

How well does Sim City 4 perform on the latest generation of iMacs?
DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 05:24 PM

I'm considering a purchase of a new 20" iMac, and I've read some disappointing things about Sim City 4's performance on various hardware.

That being said, none of these comments have been from users running it on the latest generation of iMacs. I'd like to know how well it runs at medium to high detail levels, as turning everything to "low" doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

Thank you.

Wes
Dec 24, 2005, 02:10 AM

It runs "ok" on my first-gen dual 2.0 G5 with Radeon 9800 Pro.

I run at 1680x1050 (same res as the 20" iMac I believe) and smaller cities run fine. But once there gets to be a lot going on (map more then half full and such) it slows down a fair amount. Its not horrible, and still playable but it does detract a bit.

That said I don't have the rush hour expansion pack and haven't updated it since WoW came out so newer patchs and/or rush hour might have sped it up some. (And removed some of the bugs).

In conclusion, I can safely say it runs resoundly "decent".

DoctorGonzo  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2005, 02:33 AM

Thanks for the report.

I used to play it on my ex's 1.4Ghz P3 with a 16MB TNT2 card and 512MB of RAM so I know precisely what "decent" means with large cities. If I can get that, I'll be happy. The game is a monster with what it has to keep track of and compute.

I've read conflicting reports about a left-turn lane bug in the Mac port that messes up the traffic flow, but I suppose I can live with that if it really does exist.

You really should get Rush Hour as it improves the basic game mechanics by leaps and bounds. It fixes so much of the management issues present in the stock SC4 that I fell in love with the game all over again when it originally came out for the PC.

Wes
Dec 24, 2005, 12:46 PM

I thought about buying rush-hour, and was pretty sure I would....until WoW came out

im_noahselby
Senior User
Dec 26, 2005, 05:07 AM

I was really dissapointed with Sim City 4. Considering how much better it ran on a lesser equipped PC, I was really surprised with this games performance on my PowerBook. It is playable, but the slowdown is noticeable and does detract from the gameplay, at least it did in my experience.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules