Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > High School

High School
thirtyfootsmurf
Nov 25, 2000, 05:57 PM

Is there anyone here still in (or who just got out of) high school?? Under the age of 18????
I seem to be the only one! There has to be more!!!

------------------
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

kaceygones
Senior User
Nov 25, 2000, 06:31 PM

Sorry, I graduated a long time ago, but I do have two kids in tenth grade. Only my daughter is a Mac user, but her IIci is too old to get on the internet. My mentally-handicapped stepson thinks PCs are better (hence the handicap.)

Good Luck finding someone.
kacey

Come to www.cognition.f2s.com/ikonboard/inkonboard.cgi
There are a couple of younger Mac users there.
It's been telling me all day there is a connection problem, but keep trying it's a good site.

NastyP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2000, 07:10 PM

i am still in high school, so you aren't the only one.

Nasty P.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2000, 07:43 PM

Not by a long shot.

Blizz.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

cashsixty8
Banned
Nov 25, 2000, 08:09 PM

You already know this, but I'm going to reiterate it. High School SUCKS while you're in it, but it kicks ass after you leave. How so? Well..um... it sucks because of the teachers, the strict schedule, the teachers, the homework, etc...stuff like that. But once you leave you realize it was mostly ******** , and that you should have tried to get away with more things. I got away with EVERYTHING in high school, and the complete lack of responisiblity kicked ass!

Anyway, I graduated in 99, and 3 days after I left the school got torn down. WAHOO!

Ca$h

DocWest
Senior User
Nov 25, 2000, 10:26 PM

Yep, you're right Ca$h.

To all the people who are still in high school: ENJOY IT!

macmonkey
Nov 25, 2000, 10:54 PM

I'm still stuck here, but I think I fall into the 'taking it too seriously' crowd. I do only have three real classes out of seven for my senior year, so it's kicking butt so far.

I'm still trying to get together about $19,000 a year for the next four years so I can afford to go to Depauw University, it'll be an awesome school (they invented the electronic whiteboard there), but it'll be a pain to pay for it.

Worst thing about senior year is that they're renovating this year, the school is like a war zone. It got cold early this year, and the school was without heat for nearly a month. We all had to wear heavy coats and stuff to stay alive. I'm amazed we didn't resort to cannibalism since they took away the candy and drink machines.

jamesbondsv
Nov 25, 2000, 10:57 PM

I turn 16 on December 6.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2000, 11:31 PM

Yeah well, my final year is really choking me...it's those damn math courses. English I can do, but math....math is just beyond me. And we're right into massive ISU time here, so to describe life as a little hectic would be an understatement. Add to that the current labour woes between the teachers and the province, and you may also deduce that I did not have my volleyball season either, in my final year of HS. Little bitter about that. At least we got an external coach for baskteball, so I'm glad to be doing something...ANYTHING...but volleyball is really my sport. I just go along for the ride in basketball. So, in answer to the observations above, I would have to say that this isn't the best year of my life so far. If you were to ask me which one was, I would naturally say last year - Grade 12. So I guess it's human nature to look back and think that we all really had it better then, huh?

Not that I'm sure I won't be doing it in another year when I'm stressing out about University.

Blizzard.

Cipher13
Nov 26, 2000, 01:19 AM

To be honest, I'd say the majority of this forums members are under 30, and a lot of those under 18.
I know of 7 or 8 members who are under 15.
Of course I won't say who they are.

Cipher13

cashsixty8
Banned
Nov 26, 2000, 05:03 AM

You had GUYS volleyball?!?!?!

HAhAHAhAHhahAhHAhA

Sorry. We just never had that, and at first I thought it was really weird, but I guess guys do play it. Especially on the beach. Then you can play volleyball in slow mo with a bunch of girls, and then whip out a pack of juicy fruit and let it 'bend' when you put some in your mouth, then start singing:

"Juicy Fruit, its gonna move ya! Its got the taste, it gets right to ya! Juicy fruit, the taste the taste the taste thats gonna Mooo OOove YAAA!!!"

Ca$h

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2000, 08:03 PM

Heheheheh. I hate Juicy Fruit. I hate singing too. And dancing. And we wonder why I don't have a girlfriend right now....

You mean Americans don't have guys volleyball? Is this limited to the midwestern states, or a widespread epidemic? Guys volleyball just always seemed so....NATURAL...to me. Picture girls playing volleyball, but have them be taller, jump higher, and hit harder, and you'd have guys volleyball. I'm a massive supporter of our girls team too, but sadly, due to physiological limitations they can't jump as high, so the games tend to be a lot slower than guys games. Anyway, I love the game, and most especially of all, the hitting. I'd like to say I play beach volleyball a lot, but I live no where near a beach, and our summer tend to be pretty damn short up here too. I'll look into playing it with girls though =)

Blizz.

The Wolfe
Nov 26, 2000, 10:26 PM

Men's Vollyball is completely unheard of in the Eastern US. Boys Squash was something of a new sport at my highschool, and the girls started their own Hockey team...

I always enjoyed girls Volleyball.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2000, 11:13 PM

Math was fun back in high school. I don't know why so many people complain about it.

jholmes
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 12:55 AM

No Men's V-ball in Texas. It's strictly for girls or killing time during winter gym class. It's high school football. Damn near a religion down here.

Ahh High school. Enjoy it while you can gang. Life gets screwy once you hit the door. Of course it appears to have gotten a little more complicated since I went during the Carter Administration - Gas was 39� a gallon, You could pick up a '69 Z-28 for $1200, we'd never heard of herpes much less AIDS and the drinking age was 18. Life was good
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

kaceygones
Senior User
Nov 27, 2000, 01:04 AM

Yes, enjoy it. You don't realize how good you have it right now.
I went to high school during the Reagan Administration - Gas was 55� a gallon, my Dad bought me a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlas Supreme for $500 (from my Uncle), still hadn't heard of any STDs and the drinking age was 19. But, as far as I'm concerned. LIFE WAS GREAT!!!

kacey

cashsixty8
Banned
Nov 27, 2000, 02:10 AM

A 69 Z28 for 1200?! Um.... yeah.

Ca$h

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2000, 03:01 AM

I'm still in middle school. Seventh grade, to be exact.

Read the "Specs" thread in this forum. It will enlighten you as to what my "specifications" are.

suprz
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 08:36 AM

if i knew then what i know now.....i think i read a quote somewhere, can't remember by whom, it read "youth is wasted on the young"

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Nov 27, 2000, 11:36 AM

I'm still in middle school. Seventh grade, to be exact.
Whoa.... hold up. You guys at MacNN made a seventh grader a Forum Moderator??? Whats with that?

I'm a sophmore btw.

------------------
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2000, 12:16 PM

You high school types; do you post here from school? What kind of internet access do you have at school? Is your internet activity monitored or restricted?

Also, do any of you have macs in your high school?

jholmes
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 12:40 PM

Hey ease up Smurf.
The sean does a good job and knows the Mac. What does it matter if he's five years from seeing "R" rated movies?

I've seen a 12 year old Canadian kid who is doing some really impressive graphic design and flash work. For major corporations. One of the impressive things about this medium is that it's what you know that counts, not who or what you are.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

denim
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by thirtyfootsmurf:
Whoa.... hold up. You guys at MacNN made a seventh grader a Forum Moderator??? Whats with that?
Why not, if he can do the job?

I graduated from high school in 1982. I went to no dances/proms, didn't date at all. I only associated with the other computer types. Don't be like me!! Have some fun with people. Go out on dates. Get laid.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Nov 27, 2000, 04:46 PM

Hey, whoa, sorry for touching an open nerve there. I do realize he does a good job, I was just surprised.

Yes, my school does have a lot of Macs. Our Digital Imaging lab consists of about 28-32 8600/300's, beige g3/266's, and 5500/225's. I wil try to get a photo of it on either my web page or here. The Video Productions room just got about 4 g4 500 MP's as their rendering and video editing computers.

To denim: I am going out on dates but not getting laid. I am part of the computer crown but also the 'half and half' group.

------------------

Mr.Fear
Nov 27, 2000, 05:03 PM

"I am going out on dates but not getting laid. I am part of the computer crown but also the 'half and half' group."

I had more than a few dates back in high school... The babes really dug my Flock of Seagulls hairstyle.

Mr.F

macmonkey
Nov 27, 2000, 05:10 PM

My school has a T1 line, but half the friggin internet is blocked. I have found ways around it, and I'm working with Brad on a thing where our MacMonkey server acts as a proxy, so we can go anywhere, and the school only tracks it as MacMonkey traffic, that makes it pretty untraceable, too!

I post here and other places while at school.

Getting laid in high school seems highly overrated to me. I've got a girlfriend, and we fsck about twice a week, I honestly don't think its that great. She has no idea what she's doing, while I go around reading all these books about how to enjoy sex, she's the only one benefitting, it sucks major arse. If you're going to have sex, just go to parties, and get them really drunk. That's the way!

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2000, 05:42 PM

A bit late with this but,

My former high school in Southern California has won the National Men's Volleyball championship a few times. Sinjin Smith went there. He's considered by some to be the greatest volleyball player ever. He helped bring the US a couple of gold medals and was instrumental in gaining national attention for beach volleyball (which he dominated for a while). Dan Farmer was a year behind me and also played volleyball there. We won the national championship with him and a couple of other great players. He was also UCLA's star wide receiver the last couple of years. He hurt his knee this year and the Steelers cut him. For those of you who think men's volleyball players are pansies, I dare you to play a basketball game with any of them. They would dunk all over you so hard that you would be reduced to a crying baby. I've seen one of them do a 360 dunk. The same guy also started at safety and could hit with the best of them.

[This message has been edited by Arty50 (edited 11-27-2000).]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2000, 06:31 PM

Im 17 and a senior in High School, and hot damn I can't wait to get the hell out.

------------------
--->
--->[email protected]
--->

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2000, 08:04 PM

Thanks.

I also do serious graphics design and HTML. Are you sure that Canadian kid wasn't me? After all, it is work for a Canadian corporation.

dinero68
Banned
Nov 27, 2000, 08:46 PM

Hrm. If you need help getting around stuff like that, I know how.

Ca$h

PS: email me if you want... I also have some lovely 'mac' programs to have fun with. hehEhHEheHeheheh.

denim
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2000, 02:55 PM

I'm not trying to say that the goal in high school is to get laid. What I'm trying to say is that the goal in high school is, other than the standard stuff IMHO, to learn things socially that will help you later.

I did nothing social in high school other than take part in a drama group. No dates. The girl I was interested in wasn't interested in me and it didn't occur to me to find someone else.

OTOH, I encountered her in college and didn't really notice.

MacMonkey: if she's not too good, she needs to learn. Teach her. Everyone's got to start somewhere, yes?

[This message has been edited by denim (edited 11-28-2000).]
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

The Dude
Banned
Nov 28, 2000, 08:14 PM

Well I must say that for the small amout of time I have spent in high school, I have hated it. I hate the student population, I hate the teachers (well some of them) and I hate the high level of narcissism that is prevelant in it. It's pathetic. The only reason I am staying is because it is a renown school that is college prepatory.

------------------
"I drank what?"

-Socrates

macmonkey
Nov 28, 2000, 11:27 PM

I know, I know, we're still together after two years, so I don't think its that bad. I just wanted to let some of these guys on here realize that high school girls know as little as, and often less than guys do about sex, it's socially acceptable for us to look into it, but not for them.

Dagen
Nov 28, 2000, 11:31 PM

Hey, I'm new here (I registered a while ago, but only started posting regularly now) and I'm only a junior in High School.

Anyway, our school computer situation is horrible. We have all PCs-not just any PCs, mind you, old PCs-and we have internet access (served through a Mac, oddly enough) but they have the evil N2H2 Bess on them. Bess blocks my frikkin' email and I emailed them to ask why (at home, obviously ) and they said 'schools could get viruses'. Yeah, they could get a virus if I had a cold, but they don't screen their students

Anyway, making it worse is that the computers have Fortress installed on them. The idea is, PCs are already pretty unusable, so we'll put a program that keeps kids from even typing! Just kidding, of course. Fortress makes it more difficult to do 'unauthorized' things like playing games, running hazardous materials, reformatting a hard disk. I say 'more' difficult because getting around it is trivial.

Anyway, besides that one Mac server, the only Macs in our school are in the Multimedia, Art, and Music departments, because I guess they all threatened to strike if they took their Macs away from them. The school's stipulation was that they would have to have one PC in every department. The music teachers shove them into a corner and leave them in a crashed state. Sort of like Best Buy in reverse Oh well, at least Mac use among students is a bit on the uprise at home.

[This message has been edited by Dagen (edited 11-28-2000).]

elzinat
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2000, 06:27 AM

i go to high school occasionally.
little private high school. lots of macs. lots and lots of macs. in fact, every computer is a mac except in the library where there are a bunch of pcs because some of the library reference/database/whatever software doesn't exist for the mac. and I think some of our servers are other things. (I don't know servers much, and we never get near them anyway.) the school has low-bandwidth DSL. gets kinda slooooow sometimes. there are no blocks on what we can do but sometimes the tech integrators spy on us (display sharing sh!t, quite sinister I think), and if they see anyone playing games, etc. they remotely crash the computer. it's the kind of thing which neither party (the transgressor or the spy) is very comfortable talking about. we know they do it, they know we know, nobody says anything... <shrugs>

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

[This message has been edited by elzinat (edited 12-02-2000).]

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2000, 09:08 AM

Hey Sean, I agree with others - enjoy school while you can. I was in a big rush (started College when I was 15), so I dropped out when I was 19 because I needed to live my 'juvenile' life that I passed up because I was too busy with school. Worst part is, I'm less than 2 semesters from my degree..

If I could do it all over again, I'd slow it down.....way down. I'm happy with my job, family, etc., but there's a void in my life that will likely never be filled because of the choices I made.

//e

Forum Links
Forum Rules