Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 700 MHz G3s

700 MHz G3s
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2000, 11:47 PM

The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2000, 11:58 PM

Funky.

Anyone else read the latest MOSR ? 1.5 GHz G3's by then end of next year? We wish.

------------------
Be Happy.

[This message has been edited by mac freak (edited 12-04-2000).]
Be happy.

Cipher13
Dec 5, 2000, 01:19 AM

Even if it were true, that puts Apple in one hell of an awkward position. I mean - 1.5GHz G3's and 900MHz G4's?
If they got into that position, what would they do?
Dual 900 G4's in the high end models, and single 1.5 G3's in the 'lower' end ones?
They're screwed if that happens...

Cipher13

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 02:39 AM

That would be nice. Don't the G3s have ZIF upgradability?

I have a question. Since the G4s are G3-based + Altivec, isn't there some way for it to be as speedy as G3s in terms of MHz?

Simon C. Leemann
Dec 5, 2000, 02:47 AM

Yeah, and as I recall, the G3 can't do SMP which should be a key feature of OS X. Would that mean Mac users needing to have G3s at terrific speeds (thinking of Intel, very hot, lots of power, big, expensive, etc.) just to compete with a normal PowerMac with 4 G4s at moderate speeds?

scl

elzinat
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 05:50 AM

what we need is to get the patents for the Altivec away from Motorola, and into the hands of IBM, who has the good chip fab and has the really fast G3s (they are very cool, btw), faster G4s than Moto, and G5s in dev.
Moto won't let Apple use Altivec w/ the IBM G4s, and won't let IBM buy rights to use Altivec.
I heard (from a human friend) that there exists a rumor to the effect that Apple is trying to buy all PowerPC stuff from Moto And IBM, and do all chip dev in-house. i am dubious.

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

macmonkey
Dec 5, 2000, 07:26 AM

It's true that 700mhz G3's do exist, I got a chance to talk to a guy from IBM at a conference. He said if Motorola would just step aside they could produce them in mass quantities.

Also a G3 can do SMP, www.totalimpact.com, and the G3 is more clockable because it has a different pipeline which is easier to ramp up to higher speeds. The G3 and G4 are much more different than just Altivec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules