Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone tried Arcsoft Photostudio X

Anyone tried Arcsoft Photostudio X
calle73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2002, 05:24 AM

Hi there!!!
I'm looking for a good basic image editor and I wonder if anyone tried Arcsoft Photostudio X???
And if so, did u like it???

Thanks in advance
calle

Celera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2002, 06:47 AM

I saw a presentation. It looks quite basic although it should be quite easy to use. How about the Gimp? I've never used it but I heard its a good photoshop substitute and its free.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 10:06 AM

Apple is now offering PhotoStudio X free to .Mac users. How does it compare to Photo Elements from Adobe?

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 10:23 AM

I've just been trying it out very briefly. I can't compare to Photoshop Elements as I've never used it, but it seems like a nice easy-to-use Photoshop clone (obviously, a very basic PS clone). It supports layers etc and has a reasonable selection of filters and the like. Interface wise it is very similar, but it is very obviously a Carbon app and a Windows port (yucky yellow folder icons etc, much like Adobe apps these days).

What I would like to know is how good is the Panorama Maker software that .Mac users can get a discount for... damn demo is Windows only.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 03:31 PM

... damn demo is Windows only.
I found a Mac demo at their site but it's not OS X native, only Classic. That sucks. Since you can get Photoshop Elements for about $42 thru the MacInTouch web site and Amazon.com, I'd certainly go with a proven product. I'm a Photoshop user and PE has about 90% of the capabilities, more than I ever use even in Photoshop.

Just my 2� worth. Hope this has been of some help. Good luck.

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 04:49 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but i did DL it and install it. Interface is a bizarre combo of Platinum and Aqua. Sure doesn't make me want to play with it. But hey, it's free for me so I'll give it a shot.

-- Jason

Fothb
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 05:08 PM

I've installed it. If I was going to spend the $80 to register it, I'd definitely go with the $99 PhotoShop Elements instead, but for a .Mac freebie, this is quite a deal! My favorite feature is the Effects Browser that gives you 1-click access to every effect you can apply to an image without worrying about digging around through multi-leveled menus to get at what you want.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Dec 19, 2003, 10:29 PM

It seems to need some serious work in the UI department.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 03:59 PM

Have to admit, I've been using it a bit lately ... and I basically like it. Its definitely worth FREE. Between it, GraphicConverter, and a handful of other freeware graphics apps (Pic2Icon, MorphX, GifFun) I feel like a have a pretty decent set of graphics tools to work with w/o having to pony up for a "Pro Level" app.

elmer
Jan 6, 2004, 05:17 PM

I have PSE 2.0. I tried the free .Mac PhotoStudioX and it is slow as hell on my RevA 12" PB. For a demo try using the clone tool. Or the facility for browsing images. Unbelievably slow. Useless. The Gimp is also free and it is faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules