Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > access to AppStore/Development w/o signal

access to AppStore/Development w/o signal
Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2008, 10:09 AM

I am considering buying an iPhone tonight in the Czech Republic. Indications are I will be able to buy it unlocked.

Assuming it is LOCKED to the Czech carrier, and I go to the USA, I will not want to pay roaming for either calls or EDGE data. Will I be apple to access the AppStore from a WiFi hot spot? I would like to be able to do development work on it without needing to pay roaming charges.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 10:13 AM

Yes, you can turn off the cell radios and only use WiFi.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 07:17 PM

Yes, you can access the app store over wifi... you can't even download large apps over cellular data.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 03:07 AM

Two steps:
• Airplane mode ON
• WiFi ON

That way you only connect to WiFi acces points. Your GSM, EDGE, and 3G radios will be off and you won't be charged roaming fees.

Data-wise you can do pretty much everything through wireless and w/o cellular data. The other way is more of a problem. You cannot for example buy music from the iTS over 3G.

Forum Links
Forum Rules