Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Missing atheist sign found.

Missing atheist sign found. (Page 2)
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bingo. Atheism requires one to shut his/her mind and accept only the current level of understanding science had given us. There is so much more we have yet to comprehend.

What happens at the point of infinite gravity at the center of a Super Massive black hole? What lies far beyond the sub-atomic level? What's out there past 15b light/yrs?

I enjoy science and reason as much as the next guy but saying that what we have discovered so far is definitive enough to make a rational judgement about the meaning of our lives is disingenuous.
I'm assuming you don't have a religion. Because believing in one religion means you accept that your God is the true God, and have "enough to make a rational judgement about the meaning of our lives", and you shut your mind to other religions or believes.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Then stop caring how others exercise their faith and belief, peeb. Their myths are just as important as yours.

FWIW, read a recently published paper on quantum mechanics? According to those theories, "God" not only exists, but all gods, entities, and supernatural phenomena exist on infinite levels in infinite probabilities. Everything has to be out there, because all 10 dimensions encompass all eventualities.

So, yes, atheism is wrong, all religions are right, and there's no reason to argue about it anymore.
What? All religions are right? But doesn't that mean atheism is right too since there are infinite levels in infinite probabilities, mean the probably of no God exist in on of these infinite levels.

Doesn't that also mean that all religions are wrong, since there isn't one true God, but an infinite number of Gods.

We happen to live in the dimension that God does not exist. To free yourself from this Godless world, kill yourself and you'll be ascending to the level where your God exist.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 07:58 PM

In summarizing quantum mechanics:

We live in a dimension where God does not exist nor have any influence over our lives.

Believing in one true God is idiotic, because there there infinite levels of infinite probabilities. No religion is correct.

Buddhism is the closest to the truth as you die and ascend to a different level, reincarnated in another life. Infinite levels of infinite probabilities.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 08:08 PM

So if Atheism is a belief system, then it too is a religion, right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 08:09 PM

That's why being anticlerical is the way to go. :-) That there be a God (or Gods) is irrelevant. That a few people indoctrinate masses for their own profit in the names of said hypothetical God(s) is criminal.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
So if Atheism is a belief system, then it too is a religion, right?
I don't know.

Is not believing in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny a religion too?

Easter Bunny non-believers religion. Who here is part of that religion? Who here believes in the Easter Bunny.

I guess in one of the infinite level of infinite probabilities, the Easter Bunny exist too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yes.
Dude, you are a good example of a fundamentalist Atheist. Congrats.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 08:19 PM

Oh, and the flying spaghetti monster exist too according the Quantum Mechanics.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Dude, you are a good example of a fundamentalist Atheist. Congrats.
Far from it. I'm only atheist because it is the most probable version of reality based on the current evidence (or lack of it), just like I'm an aclausist because based on the current evidence Santa isn't very likely either.

I'm happy to change my views as new evidence comes in. Which is what sets a scientific mind apart from a religious one.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 10:02 PM

Far from it. I'm only atheist because it is the most probable version of reality based on the current evidence (or lack of it), just like I'm an aclausist because based on the current evidence Santa isn't very likely either.

I'm happy to change my views as new evidence comes in. Which is what sets a scientific mind apart from a religious one.
There you go again, bringing logic and reason into this discussion.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2008, 11:39 PM

...soooo it's a belief born from a lack of proof? That makes it better all of a sudden?
Do you believe that there's life on other planets?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I'm assuming you don't have a religion. Because believing in one religion means you accept that your God is the true God, and have "enough to make a rational judgement about the meaning of our lives", and you shut your mind to other religions or believes.
Nope, wrong, try again.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2008, 11:43 PM

Yes I do, I believe the probability of life existing elsewhere is pretty damn good.

It may not be true but I believe it regardless of the lack of evidence.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 11:43 PM

We live in a dimension where God does not exist nor have any influence over our lives.
No proof for that assertion. You're drawing assumptions based on (very) incomplete data.
Believing in one true God is idiotic, because there there infinite levels of infinite probabilities. No religion is correct.
Or they're all correct, and you choose the one that's right for you.
Buddhism is the closest to the truth as you die and ascend to a different level, reincarnated in another life. Infinite levels of infinite probabilities.
Which requires just as much faith as any other belief system.

Really, you can do better than this.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 11:47 PM

You've already drawn conclusions, and that makes you a poor scientist. Even if evidence were found you'd make excuses and try to discredit it, because it isn't what you want.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
There you go again, bringing logic and reason into this discussion.
Hmmm, I've made the best points in this discussion, by far. Give me some unbiased accolades too.

Oh, wait...
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2008, 11:50 PM

Yes I do, I believe the probability of life existing elsewhere is pretty damn good.

It may not be true but I believe it regardless of the lack of evidence.
This is pretty much *my* opinion on the existence of a "supreme being". I think there's a chance that one might exist, but I allow for the equal possibility that one doesn't exist.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2008, 11:55 PM

My motto about the universe is that the unexpected probably should be expected.

I think to have your mind made up about existence at this stage of the game is a bit premature. We have yet to travel to even our closest star, nevermind the countless trillions that lie eons away from us.

What's out there? Certainly not 'nothing,' and that I'm sure of.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 12:00 AM

No proof for that assertion. You're drawing assumptions based on (very) incomplete data.
irony!!!

This is also pretty much my belief, that all beliefs are correct. That does, of course, include Science, Atheism and Gaiaism. Unfortunately, if *all* beliefs are correct, Christianity must be at least partially incorrect since Christianity does not accept that any other beliefs could be correct.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
irony!!!
I've backed up my assertions. /shrug

This is also pretty much my belief, that all beliefs are correct. That does, of course, include Science, Atheism and Gaiaism. Unfortunately, if *all* beliefs are correct, Christianity must be at least partially incorrect since Christianity does not accept that any other beliefs could be correct.
Not all Christian jurisdictions are the same. Some accept other beliefs, they simply don't subscribe to them.
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It was placed beside a display celebrating a holiday that a majority of the country enjoys and participates in every year, which is why virtually anyone who's sick and tired of a bunch of Debbie Downers wetting themselves and making a big fuss over Christmas displays like 2 year old children every single friggen year are the likely culprits.
Corrected.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 02:49 AM

I disbelieve every major religion on earth, but just because man's construct of a higher power or underlying truth to this existence may be simplified, doesn't mean it's not on the right track.
No, but there's nothing to suggest it is. Do you believe in everything based on the logic, "Some people mistakenly believe in this, so it's probably true for other reasons?"

Say what you want, Atheism is still a belief that cannot be proved.
No, atheism is lack of belief. It's similar to how I disbelieve that guy on late-night TV in the question-mark suit who guarantees I can get rich from government grants if I buy his book. According to your logic, he must be right, since what we occupy is only one millionth of reality and quantum mechanics say his promises will come true or something like that. I guess I better go buy that guy's book.

I find it useful to take the meta out of metaphysics. People who will be so wishy-washy and tell me I'm being "cocky" by disbelieving in God would never give Late Night Question Mark Guy their money, but it's the exact same thing. I accept that it's very faintly possible that there will turn out to be a god or that it will turn out everybody else in the world is an actor and I'm in some kind of real-life Truman Show, but let's be honest — you aren't seriously entertaining the idea of a vast global conspiracy just like I'm not seriously entertaining the idea of God.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
No, atheism is lack of belief.
Mule fritters.

Atheism is a choice that's made without having all the facts, like any other faith-based system.

Circles and circles, round and round. How many times does this point need to be made?
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 03:08 AM

Hmmm, I've made the best points in this discussion, by far. Give me some unbiased accolades too.

Oh, wait...
Kanye? Is that you?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 03:10 AM

You've already drawn conclusions, and that makes you a poor scientist. Even if evidence were found you'd make excuses and try to discredit it, because it isn't what you want.

Extremely poor attempt at putting words into my mouth there when I just said the complete opposite.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 03:27 AM

Extremely poor attempt at putting words into my mouth there when I just said the complete opposite.
Your previous actions speak louder than words.

But hey, don't feel bad, I understand that you have quite an emotional investment in your beliefs. Most people do and it's perfectly normal. It's cute how, for years now, you've made bold little signatures expressing your views. Also, who can forget the thinly-veiled abuse towards Theists. It's been a hoot, I tell ya.

So, no, I don't think you'd reverse on a dime if direct evidence of "God" is found.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 03:28 AM

Kanye? Is that you?
Unbiased. However, there's been none of that in this thread, or any other like it in over 5 years.
- Thomas Paine

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 03:31 AM

Wow. Clearly you know me better than myself.

Piece of advice? Don't try and play internet psychologist. You are only embarrassing yourself.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:17 AM

Wow. Clearly you know me better than myself.

Piece of advice? Don't try and play internet psychologist. You are only embarrassing yourself.
For years now you've been banging your tambourine.

"Krishna, Krishna, there's no Krishna."

Doesn't take any special training to figure you out, you're easy.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:17 AM

Nope, wrong, try again.
Dude, I wasn't even talking to you. I was talking to sek929.

Seriously man. Get your facts straight.

Oh wait. You don't rely on facts. My bad.

Tell me, who's your God?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:21 AM

Dude, I wasn't even talking to you. I was talking to sek929.

Seriously man. Get your facts straight.

Oh wait. You don't rely on facts. My bad.
Just correcting you, wouldn't want to make such a silly mistake, right? Hell, you've been painting all religions with such a broad brush for so long, it's obvious that you were confused.

Oops, missed your edit:

Tell me, who's your God?
I have all of them, or one, it's all the same.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:21 AM

Which requires just as much faith as any other belief system.

Really, you can do better than this.
No proof of that assertion? Seriously? You are religious right? You need proof for your assertion?

I guess you believe in the Easter Bunny too. Because all beliefs are true according to quantum mechanics.

My belief is correct as you put it. My belief is that your God does not exist.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2008, 04:25 AM

i find it interesting how much the faithful insist atheists are just like them.

Misery loves company long time.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:26 AM

Just correcting you, wouldn't want to make such a silly mistake, right? Hell, you've been painting all religions with such a broad brush for so long, it's obvious that you were confused.

Oops, missed your edit:

I have all of them, or one, it's all the same.
How could you correct me with inaccurate answers.

I say 1+1 = 2.

You correct me by saying 1+1 = 5

Oh right. It's quantum mechanics. 1+1 = 5 in some levels of infinite possibilities.

However, in our world, 1+1 = 2.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:28 AM

No proof of that assertion? Seriously? You are religious right? You need proof for your assertion?

I guess you believe in the Easter Bunny too. Because all beliefs are true according to quantum mechanics.

My belief is correct as you put it. My belief is that your God does not exist.
Sure, the Easter Bunny is fine. Somewhere, in some time, it's worshiped as a god. It bangs a little drum and runs on heavenly batteries. Not that I'm ready to build a shrine, unless you count the stuffed rabbit in my study.

No, I'm not particularly religious.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:29 AM

Shaddim, you are one confused man.

You said Atheism is a belief.

You said all beliefs are correct.

Then you said Atheism is wrong.

WTF? Where's your logic?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
i find it interesting how much the faithful insist atheists are just like them.

Misery loves company long time.
No, just revealing the truth to my atheist brethren. They're not that different from your average Southern Baptist.
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:31 AM

One does have to acknowledge the irony that some atheists are often the preachiest bunch, and many have got a huge head start over most everyone else on self-righteousness to boot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:32 AM

How could you correct me with inaccurate answers.

I say 1+1 = 2.

You correct me by saying 1+1 = 5

Oh right. It's quantum mechanics. 1+1 = 5 in some levels of infinite possibilities.

However, in our world, 1+1 = 2.
Hmmm, I can't do anything to improve your reading comprehension.

Guys, nice collaboration, this is fun.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:33 AM

Shaddim,

By the way:

infinite possibilities != all possibilities

If infinite possibilities == all possibilities,

then it means I'm f*cking God.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:36 AM

Shaddim, you are one confused man.

You said Atheism is a belief.

You said all beliefs are correct.

Then you said Atheism is wrong.

WTF? Where's your logic?
Atheists are religious, they have a belief. However, theirs is the only belief that is plainly wrong. It's the doctrine of divine exclusion in a universe with infinite probability. Now that's illogical.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:37 AM

Shaddim,

By the way:

infinite possibilities != all possibilities

If infinite possibilities == all possibilities,

then it means I'm f*cking God.
Well, I hope God's using protection.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:42 AM

Atheists are religious, they have a belief. However, theirs is the only belief that is plainly wrong. It's the doctrine of divine exclusion in a universe with infinite probability. Now that's illogical.
Yes, and I'm God.

Since I'm a God, I do not worship other Gods.

I'm not an Atheist. I just don't worship other Gods or false prophets.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:44 AM

Well, I hope God's using protection.
And why would God need protection? Fear of getting pregnant?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:48 AM

Yes, and I'm God.

Since I'm a God, I do not worship other Gods.

I'm not an Atheist. I just don't worship other Gods or false prophets.
good, glad to see you're got that all sorted... out.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:49 AM

And why would God need protection? Fear of getting pregnant?
Possible, or maybe you could.
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:55 AM

good, glad to see you're got that all sorted... out.
Glad you see it that way.

Now worship me cause I'm God. That's my belief and thus it's a correct belief according to quantum mechanics.

Worship me like you worship all your other Gods including Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. According to you, they are all your God(s) and they are all the same.

I'm just as powerful as the other God(s), since we are all the same.

Any belief that I've created will become the true. Because according to quantum mechanics all beliefs are possible.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
One does have to acknowledge the irony that some atheists are often the preachiest bunch, and many have got a huge head start over most everyone else on self-righteousness to boot.
Yeah, they prattle on and on about something that "doesn't exist". It plainly doesn't matter to them.
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 04:57 AM

Atheists are religious, they have a belief.
I would certainly agree some atheists are religious, not all. Like others have said though, and to be fair, it's disingenuous to say they all have the same belief system.

It's the noisy (minority?) that are religious, -and not just religious, but NUTTY religious. Clearly, they have that same burning need to preach their beliefs (nay, gospel truth and ONE true path!) to everyone else and, wear it around on their sleeve, think their views make them special, and exhibit that same phony persecution-syndrome when told to STFU in so many words by weary people tired of their stunts.

As evidenced by the very story this thread is about. Putting up a preachy, annoying sign like that near someone else's holiday display is about as asinine a self-righteous dick move as anything any other religious nuts get up to that annoys everybody else.

Same intolerant, self-righteous clowns, different religion.

It's interesting to me, in that as a sort of third-party observer of both sides, it's crystal clear to me why each hate the other so much: people often hate most the mirror image of themselves in others.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 05:01 AM

Possible, or maybe you could.
Yes, that's also a possibility.

I f*ck God and had a child called Jesus Christ.

Forum Links
Forum Rules