Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AOL suspended a few of my AIM accounts

AOL suspended a few of my AIM accounts
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 03:07 AM

Has this happened to anyone else? Since 1999 I have had about 20 screen names, and a good numer of the accounts have been recently blocked. I can't figure out why, and even more specifically why some and not the others? I am assuming breech of terms of service- except that one of my canceled accounts was a frequently used one that I believe I used legitttimate info when signing up (maybe I didn't). Anyone know what the deal is?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 04:09 AM

why do you have 20 SNs?

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 04:21 AM

Dunno, they can kick you off any time they want to. Perhaps someone else had access to the passwords and was causing problems.

Hate to do it, shameless plug, but www.jabber.org. I know Adium and Fire can use the jabber service, AFAIR Proteus can too. I used to have lots of AIM addresses for different people, moved to Jabber, somehow the people I was avoiding all the time with the many AIM addresses aren't switching to jabber, while people who are concerned about privacy/opensource/openstandard/new technology (who tend to be more intellegent) are switching. Connection to the server is encrypted, can't wait for GPG/PGP integration.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
why do you have 20 SNs?
In 98/99 Pokemon were very cool, so I had a few screen names based on my favorite characters (take for example my MacNN handle- Miniryu is the Japanese name for Dratini, who was my favorite at the time). So Needless to say I ditched those names, picked a new one, dicovered that ex-girlfriends and other enemies I have made stalk you and read your profile/away messages using unknow extra screen names they registered. So then I had to have my own screen name or two that none of my friends or enemies knew about. Then I have a couple of screwy identities that I used to go into public chat rooms with because I did not want to compromise my real identity (or use a screen name that has already been published on my website). Finally, it became cool to have screen names that incorporate your real name in them (such as "Ryan is cool" or Hey its "Tammy") so being the trend slave that I am I had to get me one of those as well. All in all, I don't remember how many names I have had, but I have the log on information for about 20 of them. I am not the only one either- the younger the person, the more SNs you can expect them to have. Believe me AOL believes they have more users than they actually do. They junior high kids I work with talk about how they switch handles every few weeks.

Oh, and Jabber- I tried to use it last night. Its far more troulbe than its worth. I was finally able to get an account up and logged on (using Adium). Then I had no friends on Jabber to talk with- I tried to chat with people from AIM and Yahoo, but nowhere did I find any documentation on how to chat with people using different networks. If it is all run from independant free servers, I can't imagine being albe to loeave your IM client online all day like I do. I can't imaging it catching on unless the process of registration is made simpler.
Too bad, because I got really excited when I read yukon's post.

My website

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 6, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
In 98/99 Pokemon were very cool, so I had a few screen names based on my favorite characters (take for example my MacNN handle- Miniryu is the Japanese name for Dratini, who was my favorite at the time). So Needless to say I ditched those names, picked a new one, dicovered that ex-girlfriends and other enemies I have made stalk you and read your profile/away messages using unknow extra screen names they registered. So then I had to have my own screen name or two that none of my friends or enemies knew about. Then I have a couple of screwy identities that I used to go into public chat rooms with because I did not want to compromise my real identity (or use a screen name that has already been published on my website). Finally, it became cool to have screen names that incorporate your real name in them (such as "Ryan is cool" or Hey its "Tammy") so being the trend slave that I am I had to get me one of those as well. All in all, I don't remember how many names I have had, but I have the log on information for about 20 of them. I am not the only one either- the younger the person, the more SNs you can expect them to have. Believe me AOL believes they have more users than they actually do. They junior high kids I work with talk about how they switch handles every few weeks.

Oh, and Jabber- I tried to use it last night. Its far more troulbe than its worth. I was finally able to get an account up and logged on (using Adium). Then I had no friends on Jabber to talk with- I tried to chat with people from AIM and Yahoo, but nowhere did I find any documentation on how to chat with people using different networks. If it is all run from independant free servers, I can't imagine being albe to loeave your IM client online all day like I do. I can't imaging it catching on unless the process of registration is made simpler.
Why do you have enemies?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2004, 07:10 PM

They junior high kids I work with talk about how they switch handles every few weeks.
That's how you refer to fellow students, I suppose.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2004, 07:11 PM

Finally, it became cool to have screen names that incorporate your real name in them (such as "Ryan is cool" or Hey its "Tammy") so being the trend slave that I am I had to get me one of those as well.
Don't confuse "common" with "cool".

Some things can be both (like the iPod), but they are two distinct, not necessarily related - in many cases mutually exclusive - terms.

-s*

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 07:13 PM

Wait, Pokeman was never, I mean never, ever cool! That's your problem!

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 07:58 PM

Don't worry, you can stay excited ;-). It's really quite simple, and once done, your messages won't be sent through AOL's servers (read: no megacorporations logging your chats), and you'll feel and be percieved as being a lot smarter ;-)

Jabber works on multiple servers, it's made to be like an email address, think instant email. jabber.org is the main free server, most people register there. So, you'd be [email protected]. If you have a friend, and say their address is [email protected], then you can converse with them without any problems, the servers do the work. www.jabber.org has a web registration thing on their site which I used, as well certain jabber clients are able to register (GAIM can, AFAIK it was added to Adium just a while ago). Here's a list of some open jabber servers and what they support http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php . Hell, you can set up your own server, support what you want to, make it only for your friends, and have it entirely private and encrypted, though it's not that easy to do that yet ;-)

You actually CAN chat with people on different networks, though the server has to support it, called a "gateway", all you need is an actual MSN/Yahoo/AIM account for it to use. Currently Adium doesn't support this....but this is a huge reason to move to Jabber, though not in and of itself - the protocol is developing. I haven't seen a bloody change in AIM for the almost decade I've been on it, I'm told there some encryption (the server sees through it of course) added and there's a file transfer functionality that never works properly, but that's about it. Jabber is in very active development as well as being totally usable now, so there are lots of proposals and people working to improve it, for example using GPG encryption on each message (working, though not in GAIM yet or adium) and many other features (things like an email gateway, RSS feeds, IP6, all available now).

Adium uses LibGAIM, a derivitive of GAIM (soon to be the core of GAIM hopefully), so it's protocol-level jabber support came free (lots of work on libgaim though) so Adium's Jabber support will increase gradually - for example, the new registration thing, available in the preferences under "accounts", click the plus, select jabber, and click the "register" button, though that's the Adium guys working to increase the ability of the GUI to work with what libgaim can do. Sorry, I don't know how other programs do, all I know for sure is that Fire had Jabber support before Adium but I personally prefer Adium. ISTR 10.3 having some kind of Jabber support, in iChat, not sure how that went.... gaim.sf.net for windows and linux users, though the linux users have other options too since anyone can implement the jabber protocol.

Anyway, since Adium, GAIM, probably Fire, etc support AIM/MSN/Yahoo/GaduGadu/Jabber/Rendezvous/Sametime/Groupwise/Napster as multiprotocol programs, you don't actually have to leave those networks, I'm still on AIM and whatever else, people can contact me, I just mention once in a while to them "Hey, check out jabber.org so I don't have to bother with AIM anymore."
[img]broken link[/img]

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
Don't worry, you can stay excited ;-). It's really quite simple, and once done, your messages won't be sent through AOL's servers (read: no megacorporations logging your chats), and you'll feel and be percieved as being a lot smarter ;-)

Jabber works on multiple servers, it's made to be like an email address, think instant email. jabber.org is the main free server, most people register there. So, you'd be [email protected]. If you have a friend, and say their address is [email protected], then you can converse with them without any problems, the servers do the work. www.jabber.org has a web registration thing on their site which I used, as well certain jabber clients are able to register (GAIM can, AFAIK it was added to Adium just a while ago). Here's a list of some open jabber servers and what they support http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php . Hell, you can set up your own server, support what you want to, make it only for your friends, and have it entirely private and encrypted, though it's not that easy to do that yet ;-)
This is what I did- it is not nearly as simple as AOLs registration I need something dummied down for my friends, they won't do anything that is not quick and easy.

You actually CAN chat with people on different networks, all you need is an actual MSN/Yahoo/AIM account for it to use.
See, the documentation I read made it sound like I only needed a Jabber handle/account to interact with people on AIM, MSN and Yahoo. If I have to use my AIM/Yahoo accounts then I might as well stick with Adium, where I can use multiple accounts from each service simultaneously.

I haven't seen a bloody change in AIM for the almost decade I've been on it, I'm told there some encryption (the server sees through it of course) added and there's a file transfer functionality that never works properly, but that's about it.
Whoa! Lets be fair now, AIM has all of the major functions that most chatters wants- profiles, away messages, text customization, buddy icons, file transfr (it actually does work well- if both people are on a network the file is sent directly instead of through an external server), direct connection, and the ability to see if the other person is typing (actually this one isn't that important). Webcamera support is another thing it does which is becoiming increasingly important. For a service to compete, it has to have all of these basises covered (or have major company like M$ pushing it at its customers). Most people don't know anything about RSS.

Anyway, since Adium, GAIM, probably Fire, etc support AIM/MSN/Yahoo/GaduGadu/Jabber/Rendezvous/Sametime/Groupwise/Napster as multiprotocol programs, you don't actually have to leave those networks, I'm still on AIM and whatever else, people can contact me, I just mention once in a while to them "Hey, check out jabber.org so I don't have to bother with AIM anymore."
My AIM buddylist is maxed out right now, it would be an uphill battle for me to do the same.

To everyone else: Believe me, if your girlfriend at the time was a hot asian girl who loves Pokemon (along with her friends) you would think it was cool too. I'm not in junior high, thank you.

My website

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:45 PM

Has this happened to anyone else? Since 1999 I have had about 20 screen names, and a good numer of the accounts have been recently blocked. I can't figure out why, and even more specifically why some and not the others? I am assuming breech of terms of service- except that one of my canceled accounts was a frequently used one that I believe I used legitttimate info when signing up (maybe I didn't). Anyone know what the deal is?
How come you didn't call AOL and ask them why?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:48 PM

This is what I did- it is not nearly as simple as AOLs registration I need something dummied down for my friends, they won't do anything that is not quick and easy.
Well, they have a webform like AOL that wasn't difficult (two text fields and a submit button AFAIR, I remember having trouble getting my current AIM address years ago), and clients have the ability as they must for servers that don't have the webform or even http web presence...I don't see the problem with the "register" button when entering an account.

the documentation I read made it sound like I only needed a Jabber handle/account to interact with people on AIM, MSN and Yahoo. If I have to use my AIM/Yahoo accounts then I might as well stick with Adium, where I can use multiple accounts from each service simultaneously.
Yeah, you need an account, you didn't think AOL/MS/Yahoo would just allow anonymous jabber users unlimited access to their services and registered users through a client they didn't control, did you? ;-).

Also, of course stick with Adium, that's what I'm on right now, but i'm also on jabber...i'm also on AIM and Yahoo and ICQ at the moment, in the same application. This feature is an end strategy, conglomerate all the protocols in one program, the best should win out, or at least there won't be a dependance on any specific one. Jabber being able to translate and be a gateway to other protocols without the application needing to handle it, that's awesome. I use jabber because I prefer it (and it is in my strongest opinion, better), so I recommend it. If AOL goes bankrupt and the servers are auctioned off, I won't need to notice, other people who rely on a single service would - Jabber is nice because Jabber can't go bankrupt (jabber.org conceivably could shut down, there's lots of other jabber servers, I almost started my own a couple months ago).

AIM has all of the major functions that most chatters wants
I'm not most chatters. I want strong encryption, encryption that isn't transparent to any corporation. I want the benefits that Jabber has over AIM, benefits that Adium can add as soon as they're available without any reverse-engineering. Webcamera support, I don't need, I don't even know if it's in Jabber, though anyone could add it if they wished...I know there's a GAIM fork that does video called Gaim-VV, I'm afraid I don't know how that works (my webcamera is in the closet, never plugged it in, got it free). Jabber is moving forward, while the other networks stagnated, the only thing I remember was when Yahoo implemented the webcam thing and I just HAD to run Yahoo Messanger in VPC for a family member because they wouldn't put the functionality int the Mac client.

Most people don't know anything about RSS.
Alright, RSS is a simple protocol that simplifies information gathering on the internet, saving time and is much more efficient. It's an open standard, which, like Jabber, is a very good thing. I'm not using it heavily yet, just waiting for better OS X implementations, Safari will have it in 10.4. Can't wait to set up a http://del.icio.us bookmark page ;-)

My AIM buddylist is maxed out right now, it would be an uphill battle for me to do the same.
No need to force anyone to switch, in times where Trillian/GAIM/Adium/Fire/Kopete do any protocol you could want (an uphill battle since companies like to break these program's access), you simply don't need to. But you can use Jabber, you can tell people about Jabber, free for anyone to use, provide, implement, or improve. Or you can show them the multiprotocol programs, talking on Jabber is no different than the other networks then. The only thing I force is that I don't have a "passport", if anyone wants to talk to me, it's Jabber/AIM/Yahoo/ICQ/IRC/www/email and whatever else I'm already on....just like I don't send out .doc files, maybe I can't change the world but I can try to not make it worse ;-)

a hot asian girl who loves Pokemon...
Pokemon was awesome, a lighthearted RPG that was portable and unique. This was before the US release, before I saw the cartoon and they targeted it at 5 year old kids. Once I beat the game a few times and perfected a "team" (and the battery-backed ram erased a couple times), I lost all interest...I could probably name all the original pokemon if I thought about it for a while ;-D
( Last edited by yukon; Dec 7, 2004 at 02:02 AM. )

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
How come you didn't call AOL and ask them why?
I'm not an AOL subscriber, just an internet shmo who registered for AIM screen names. Also, I registered many of those names under false zip codes and addresses (not to mention changed my real name) so I technically did violate the tos agreement. But how would they know? I used real zips? Since they nixed the names at once, I was just wondering if there was a sudden move all of a sudden to reclaim some of the screen names that are no longer in use.

My website

namannik
Senior User
Dec 7, 2004, 03:46 AM

My friend has had one screen name for years, and it suddenly quit working the other day. What is AOL doing?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Why do you have enemies?
What do you mean? You don't?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 04:21 AM

At least I'm not evangelizing Jabber again-
AOL Locks Out IM Users
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1738245,00.asp

of course, this wouldn't happen if.... ;-D
[img]broken link[/img]

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Wait, Pokeman was never, I mean never, ever cool! That's your problem!
The GameBoy game that started it was fun.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
At least I'm not evangelizing Jabber again-
AOL Locks Out IM Users
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1738245,00.asp

of course, this wouldn't happen if.... ;-D
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanx.

My website

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
What do you mean? You don't?
No. I guess I am just too nice to people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules