Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does iTunes Match actually work well for anyone else?

Does iTunes Match actually work well for anyone else?
Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2012, 09:37 PM

I paid for it ironically because I wanted to make sure that some of my older rips would be updated to whatever was in the iTunes store. In most cases it actually uploaded corrupt versions to the cloud and redownloaded those. And ever since turning it on it seems like most tracks in my iTunes Library have no artwork. Also when I update anything in iTunes it seems to either take forever or just plain not allow me to access new music recently added to iTunes without having to manually tell it to add it to the cloud.

Ugh, on paper it seems sooooo useful but in practice it's damned infuriating.

(Ironically as I finished typing this it finally pulled in all of my play lists. Also I've discovered that apparently if you leave your phone on the albums page for a while it'll start to download the correct artwork or something. The whole system still feels very beta ... a 30 dollar beta.)

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:16 AM

I use it. Works fine for me. One gripe I do have is that it doesn't stream on iOS devices (except AppleTV)... I chalk that up to possibly being a data usage issue. Either way I think it's backwards in that it should download to your Mac and stream on your mobile device. Oh well. Maybe it'll change one day... I just like the peace of mind that all my music is backed up in the cloud. It proved to work correctly when I did a "clean" install of Mountain Lion.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 06:21 AM

Works intermittently for me. I have 18000+ songs in my library, and there are certain albums that show up in my library, on my iPhone and iPad, that it just won't play. Very frustrating.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2012, 10:51 AM

Works well for me, the only problem I come across ever so often is on my other computers having to sign out and sign in to the store again. As for devices everything is working. iPhone and AppleTV has access to everything nicely.

Do have a problem with the Ford Sync in my car though. With 80GB of music not accessible from my phone even though its not really on my phone, the indexing fails with sync now making it half as useful. Cant tell it to play single tracks any more.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quick threadjack.

You liking the Ford Sync?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 10:34 AM

Ford Sync is a typical Microsoft product. Its crap, its pure junk. I hate it. I am thinking of selling the car to purchase a car that I can remove the deck and put a proper third party deck into it, it is that bad. Some times I want to go inside grab my shot gun and blast a hole through the god damn dash board, right between the nobs I hate it that much.

So no don't like Ford Sync.

It takes over the voice and functions of the device plugged into it. It has limited ability to index and when indexing is full, my 30GB iPod managed this, voice commands for playing songs no longer work. Its slow too. And Microsoft in all its wisdom didn't think commands carefully. Help and Cell for example are close enough the stupid thing gets them confused. Not like how Apple went with Mobile over Cell to avoid that. The mic is placed in a bad spot in the car as well. The car itself is good enough (its pretty good for a Ford) but I wouldn't buy it for the Sync system. My old 3rd party deck in my 24 year old Prelude does a better job of voice commands and phone calls because it uses the phones voice system instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with its own system on top of the phones system.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2012, 08:59 PM

Stop being coy. Tell me what you really think.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2012, 09:22 PM

It has worked flawlessly for me. Of course, if your mobile connection is bad, it takes a few seconds until Music.app has buffered enough of the music file, but that's not iTunes Match's fault.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It has worked flawlessly for me. Of course, if your mobile connection is bad, it takes a few seconds until Music.app has buffered enough of the music file, but that's not iTunes Match's fault.
+1 to that. I have terrible service at work so I just download what I want to listen to on my commute.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2012, 11:48 AM

According to Cult of Mac's "Mega guide to iOS 6" iTunes match will now stream on iOS devices! Finally...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 11:00 AM

What do you mean by stream to iOS devices?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Quick threadjack.
You liking the Ford Sync?
It's borderline worthless. The touch screens are incredibly unresponsive compared to any modern smartphone. The interface is buggy and very quirky. A couple examples - when connecting my wife's iPhone via bluetooth, sometimes it will display song title/artist, sometimes it will stick on the "Bluetooth Audio Detected" screen, sometimes it will display little squares for every character in the song title/artist text, and sometimes it won't work at all. Indexing a USB-connected device doesn't seem to work, this question was posed on the Edge forums as well - my iPod Touch perpetually indexes. There's often a delay of a second or two after hitting the screen before the touch is recognized. In typical Microsoft fashion, they give you 3 or 4 different ways to accomplish any task, including ways that are unintuitive.

It's like Ford said, "Hey, out of all of the major players in the huge touchscreen interface market today, let's pick whoever's doing the worst and put them in a position to totally ruin our newfound quality." Well, I guess they could have gone with Blackberry.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
What do you mean by stream to iOS devices?
Before you could access your entire iTunes library but you had to download the song(s). Now you can supposedly just stream without downloading.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2012, 02:31 PM

And it's not supposed.. It's confirmed because I'm streaming songs right now. Just did the update.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's borderline worthless. The touch screens are incredibly unresponsive compared to any modern smartphone. The interface is buggy and very quirky. A couple examples - when connecting my wife's iPhone via bluetooth, sometimes it will display song title/artist, sometimes it will stick on the "Bluetooth Audio Detected" screen, sometimes it will display little squares for every character in the song title/artist text, and sometimes it won't work at all. Indexing a USB-connected device doesn't seem to work, this question was posed on the Edge forums as well - my iPod Touch perpetually indexes. There's often a delay of a second or two after hitting the screen before the touch is recognized. In typical Microsoft fashion, they give you 3 or 4 different ways to accomplish any task, including ways that are unintuitive.
It's like Ford said, "Hey, out of all of the major players in the huge touchscreen interface market today, let's pick whoever's doing the worst and put them in a position to totally ruin our newfound quality." Well, I guess they could have gone with Blackberry.
Hollyshit you and I agree on something. The world is ending I tell ya.

PS I posted in the iPhone forum a how to for Bluetooth MAP - Syncs text message system with the iOS 6 update. Might be interested if you have not figured it out already. Though Im no Sync 3.1 not MFT so it still could end up being a bag of hurt for ya.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
And it's not supposed.. It's confirmed because I'm streaming songs right now. Just did the update.
Funny because most of the time my phone was streaming not downloading music. If I had no internet it didn't play except for those that I pressed on the download button on. Its always "streamed" from day one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules