Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Aus. Online Store - damn you!

Aus. Online Store - damn you!
Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2002, 09:56 AM

I'm expecting my .mac voucher very soon (they did say mid-november) - so I thought I'd suss out my order before it comes.
What did I plan on getting? an iSub and one of those groovy little PowerMates

Well.... the Australian Apple Online Store - does not sell either!!
No, the US one does, but the Aus one doesn't. The closest I can get is the full SoundSticks package - which is just stupid.
And I know you can get stand alone iSubs here - my local dealer stocks them - but the voucher can only be used at the Online store.

Anybody have any ideas on how to pressure the online store here to stock these seemingly no brainer products?

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 05:00 PM

Hey,

That situation really bites! I don't know why Apple would offer things in the US store, but not offer it in those of other nations? Wouldn't selling the same stuff everywhere make it easier for them to keep track of? Besides, it's all online!

I'm not sure if Apple would custom order a few items, but if you could find a whole group of individuals interested in the items you want, maybe they would ship out a big box of them. Perhaps they just think there's no interest. Perhaps you could call the Apple Store and ask them (unless you already did). Maybe they do offer the items, but do not have them on their website at the moment?

Is it possible for you to purchase something from the online Apple Store using the voucher (like the soundsticks), then sell/exchange it for the iSub and PowerMate at your local vendor? Or auction it of on eBay or sell it to a friend?

Is there any way to purchase from the US Apple Store and have the items shipped to AUS? I guess the S&H would negate the voucher.

Well, sorry I have no solutions, but just wanted to let you know I share your pain and disgust! Good luck finding a solution!

Nathan Adams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2002, 09:12 PM

I don't think there's anyway to do a custom order - since there are no contact details at all for the store - not even a feedback email - which is just insane.
And unable to go through say the US store - each store specifically says they do not ship international, and the voucher does specify local online store.

The Aus store is missing ALOT of products. In fact, we're missing a couple of catergories! (like the miscellaneous accesories). They stock a bare minimum of printers and scanners. it's really rediculous. And you're exactly right - it's an online store, this shouldn't be a problem!

I think I might go to my AppleCentre in the city and see if they can wing anything for me... probably my only hope.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2002, 12:09 AM

Perhaps you could somehow print the voucher (if possible in some way) and take it to your local AppleCentre? Maybe if you tell them your situation they will allow you to use it this situation. They would technically be taking business from the Apple Store and making a few sales at the expense of a smaller profit margin. I know of some major electronics retailers here in the States that allow people to bring in competitors' coupons and match the discounts. Or at least, they could discount half the value of the voucher in return for your business? Maybe it's worth a try - only your pride's at stake! Besides, serves the Apple Store right to lose sales if they give vouchers that can only be used for 10% of the products out there. Good luck!

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2002, 06:36 AM

i read (on the Apple.com discussion board) that NextBytle would honor the Aus voucher. they're worth a try, too.

Nathan Adams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2002, 01:20 PM

molala - that's exactly what I like to hear! Since NextByte is the AppleCentre I get everything through
(although they don't have any powermates... they do have iSubs though - so that's cool)

cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules