Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered a 1.5 17" pb...need help plz

Just ordered a 1.5 17" pb...need help plz
StevenWRX
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 03:35 PM

Hello,

I just ordered a 17" pb last nite and im having second thoughts.. i have finally saved up enough money to purchase one but now i am having second thoughts about it.. i realized today that im spending nearly 3,000 bucks on a laptop. i dont do any work intensive computing, only email, chat, net surfing, etc.. I did check out the 15" but im worried about "white spots" and the price is only a few hundred bucks difference and the 12" screen is just too small.

I am basically asking for some feedback or reassurance to keep the 17".

Should I cancel the order?
Should I keep the order?

Maybe this makes no sense, but what do you guys think?

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

hurry up and cancel it. i have a 17 1.33 myself and i had no regrets at any point when deciding to buy it. so if youre unsure then get the smaller and more portable 15. if you want portabilitiy, then dont get the 17

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 03:51 PM

well i priced the same spec 15" and its 200 bucks cheaper.. plus there is the great chance of getting white spots..

im starting to think of my purchase as a 2000 dollar computer and a ncie 17" flat panel display.. with portability if need be.

portability isnt an issue by the way, i plan on 90% use on my desk and 10% traveling..

as of right now, im 90% confident i will keep the order.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 03:54 PM

Whitespot issue has been resolved with the Rev B 15" Alu, if I were you I'd go with a previous generation 15" superdrive seeing how they go for $2000 now. Awesome bang for buck for a portable, or even the 1ghz 15" previous gen that sells for 1600 on Apples site. If your not going to do anything processor intensive maybe even a 14" iBook would be a good choice. Lots of choices you should've considered before placing your order. I know I was reluctant at first when spending $2000 on a laptop but I needed it for school, wanted a PB and now I couldn't be happier. The 17" is an awesome computer, and is virtually a portable desktop now, it'll handle tons of stuff for then next few years, think short and hard on this one. You'll be happy with whatever you buy.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

beanman
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 04:24 PM

17" might seem like it's over kill, but as you use it, you'll find that portability will outweigh any desktop that you could get. I made a major upgrade from a beige G3 to my 17". I use it for email, web design, chatting, surfing, photo editing, audio editing, and other various things. Just having the laptop ability has actually led to more uses than what I had planned for it. Get a really good bag to port it around in, my first suggestion.

I have been happy with it from day one. I'll make my next upgrade when they offer 17" G5's.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 04:25 PM

OMG wow! you guys wont believe what just happened..

Well i picked up the phone to cancel the order to think this over a little more and to further consider the 15", the rep asked me if their was anything they can do to keep my order and i told them it was just a tad too pricey.. sooo he knocked off $150 bucks off my 17"!!!!!!

Sooooo it looks like i will be a 17" PB owner soon! w00t!

Apple ROX!

Thank you guys!!!!

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 04:33 PM

there ya go

beanman
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 04:34 PM

Too cool. Way to go, man!

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
Hello,

I just ordered a 17" pb last nite and im having second thoughts.. i have finally saved up enough money to purchase one but now i am having second thoughts about it.. i realized today that im spending nearly 3,000 bucks on a laptop. i dont do any work intensive computing, only email, chat, net surfing, etc.. I did check out the 15" but im worried about "white spots" and the price is only a few hundred bucks difference and the 12" screen is just too small.

I am basically asking for some feedback or reassurance to keep the 17".

Should I cancel the order?
Should I keep the order?

Maybe this makes no sense, but what do you guys think?
Well firstly I wouldn't worry too much about the "white spots" supposedly Apple fixed them on all Models after Dec 2003. So that shouldn't be a problem. If you can cancel/change it I would get the 15 if you feel the 17 is not what you want/need.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

euchomai
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 04:50 PM

I travel all the time, most of the month I am on the road... Be it in car or airplane, I've never had a problem with portability. Actually, I like it so much better than the 12". The 17" fits across your lap perfectly, it doesn't get too hot to leave on your lap and the screen is perfect too. 17" powerbook isn't even that heavy, its lighter than the old powerbook I lugged around years ago!

If you can afford the 17", get the 17". I know the dude got it with $150 off, but the line if you can afford it is for everyone reading this thread!!!

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 05:17 PM

You'll love the 17. Beautiful screen and thinner, and it really is more portable than you might think, partly because the thing is so thin. Enjoy!

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 05:28 PM

wow thanks for all the responses.. it should ship by the 13th..
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 07:37 PM

i was one of the firsts to get the new 15" when they first came out - nothing but problems, so i upgraded to a 17" and only wondered why i didn't get the 17" in the first place. having 17" of screen is just so much better, i'd doubt i'd ever be able to go back down to a 15" screen. and one other thing i find better about the 17" is the slot drive is better because it uses a plastic trimming all around, instead of just AL which got deformed on my 15" after a few uses.

now just get yourself an iCurve and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and your set.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 10:13 PM

talk about luck! i would have recommended scaling down but that price break should be enough to 'buy out' any buyer's remorse (price-issue wise that is). wish i had that kind of luck

glhart
May 10, 2004, 11:53 PM

I have used a 12", 15", and 17" (rev B), which is what I have now. For any sort of extended work, I prefer the 17", even though it's harder to lug around. The screen is nicer (especially than the 12"), and it's just easier to sit with the machine for hours and work on it. My own experience is that having less space on the screen really takes a toll on your productivity. I also like the fact that the pixels seem a bit bigger on the 17". If you travel a lot, and have to move the machine all the time, then a small size becomes important, and the 12" would probably be better. But for extended periods of work sitting at a desk, in a library, or wherever, I find the 17" much preferable.

JCT
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 10:11 AM

Ah yes, it was a thread just like this one that got me to cancel my 15" order and go for the 17" .

Not that I'm complaining, mind you....

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 12:45 PM

man oh man i am getting so nervous...

i keep reading about bad/dead/stuck pixels and that just worries me to death. i know about apples policy and i am praying for a 17" screen without defects. my 12" screen was perfect.. i hope i am blessed once again...

pray
pray
pray

fingers crossed...

-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

Forum Links
Forum Rules