Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger won't recognize password

Tiger won't recognize password
harmony58
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 10:17 AM

[FONT=Verdana]Morning,[/FONT]

I just installed Tiger on my mom's iMac, but it is not recognizing the password I set. I must have somehow mistyped it, but all the mispellings I can think of aren't working.

I can't seem to over ride the problem and I apparently can't even just reinstall tiger.

Is there a workaround to this problem? As usual the Help section is of limited help.

Thanks,
Kate

andreadeca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hi Kate,

why can't you just reinstall tiger? Did you do an erase-install or did you do an upgrade?

If you did erase-install, you can just do it over again by booting from the dvd/cd drive.

If you did update, you need to get that password running.

I think (but need some help here) you can probably boot in single-user mode and change your password with passwd from the root account. But it's a long shot. Try the UNIX section for help on this issue.

ciao,
Andrea

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 10:30 AM

Are you talking about the Master Password or the user password? If it's the Master, you'll have to reinstall and start over. If you are talking about the user password, you reset it using the Master Password.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 11:04 AM

Interesting. Typing 'reset password' brought up a few topics, esp one titled "My password was not accepted", which tells you how to reset the password if forgotten.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

harmony58  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 03:04 PM

Thanks to everyone. I don't know why Tiger wouldn't reinstall, but it turned out I had inadvertently typed in a capital letter and hadn't been warned that the password was case sensitive. So many things are not. Your replies were very helpful and got me to thinking.
Live and learn as always.

Kate

Forum Links
Forum Rules