Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Really Is Good...

Tiger Really Is Good...
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 10:35 PM

OK, I recently forgot my Power Adapter at a friend's house, so I was using my iMac Rev D which can only run Panther. And I gota say... might have been the fact that AVI files wouldn't run properly on the slow proc, or that I didn't have all of my files... but even that, just working without spotlight, and a few newer features in Tiger... I really felt like my productivity dropped. Kind of like when I'd go from a Panther machine to a Jaguar machine and try and use Exposé.
It's nice to know that Apple really does innovate enough to make buying new copies of the OS worth it for more than security fixes. And compared to what Windows users are getting with VISTA I feel really privileged to be a Mac user. Also makes me glad that I recently switched a friend to an iBook

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 10:36 PM

ManOfSteal [heart] Tiger.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 11:10 PM

TheSpaz [hate] Tiger.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
TheSpaz [hate] Tiger.
That's too bad...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 02:41 AM

( Last edited by CharlesS; Aug 4, 2005 at 02:42 AM. Reason: never mind, it was stupid)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
TheSpaz [hate] Tiger.
To each his own, its the old one size does not fit everyone.

There are still people using OS9 and there's nothing wrong with that, as it fits their needs.

Mike

soUwannaBeacrackHead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 08:13 AM

TheSpaz [hate] Tiger.
maybe tiger bite Spaz in booty someday, hehehe

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
OK, I recently forgot my Power Adapter at a friend's house, so I was using my iMac Rev D which can only run Panther. ...)
Why do you say a Rev D iMac can only run Panther?

I have an iMac DV SE which runs Tiger fine. Isn't your iMac at least as capable as a 400mhz G3?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69

I have an iMac DV SE which runs Tiger fine. Isn't your iMac at least as capable as a 400mhz G3?
Built in Firewire missing perhaps?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 4, 2005, 05:25 PM

I haven't used Panther anywhere again since Tiger came out, and I've recently noticed that I am using a lot of new features - or the need to use them has come up - just as a coincidence. As examples: spotlight search inside files, Automator 'combine PDFs' (amazing that one ... no idea how I could have done it before), Preview annotations on PDFs, Dictionary and roll-over cmd-ctrl-d, burn folders (genius for bulk burning).

It has been amazingly timely for me as I've just wanted to use many of these features for the first time, i.e. I had never wanted to burn multiple CDs with the same content before, and it would have taken -way- longer in Panther; and I had never wanted to combine scanned pages (.tiff) into a single PDF before, which I would not have been able to do under Panther without Acrobat and/or some better command line skills?

I really like the major new features, but I also like how they improve and add so many 'little' things with each upgrade that you forget that (and how) you ever lived without them .

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 05:51 PM

“Building Better Worlds”

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 4, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69

There is an entire thread here, you'd have to do a search, explaining why Apple does not include certain machines in their Tiger requirements.
My answer is that the iMac Rev D is only capable of 333mhz and was built on the same architecture as the original iMac. Even if you could upgrade to Tiger the iMac only comes with a 6 GB HD which leaves you little space to store documents, pictures, etc. and the video card is at 6 mb so don't expect much from graphics. I am not amazed that Panther runs on that iMac but it must be via xPostFacto.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
There is an entire thread here, you'd have to do a search, explaining why Apple does not include certain machines in their Tiger requirements.
My answer is that the iMac Rev D is only capable of 333mhz and was built on the same architecture as the original iMac. Even if you could upgrade to Tiger the iMac only comes with a 6 GB HD which leaves you little space to store documents, pictures, etc. and the video card is at 6 mb so don't expect much from graphics. I am not amazed that Panther runs on that iMac but it must be via xPostFacto.
Is there a Rev D that was less than 400mhz? Mine is a 400 DVSE.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2005, 06:12 PM

The easiest way to tell is if it has FireWire on the motherboard. If it has that, it's supported by tiger.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Kind of like when I'd go from a Panther machine to a Jaguar machine and try and use Exposé.
If there's only one feature that I don't ever want to miss it is Exposé. Nothing comes close to that. Period.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 07:28 PM

DVSE aren't "Rev D" imacs.'

And yes, the first slot loading imac is an exception to the rule
Aloha

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Link
DVSE aren't "Rev D" imacs.'

And yes, the first slot loading imac is an exception to the rule
Looks like you're right. The 400 came later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules