Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll: How many MBP's have annoying whine?

View Poll Results: How many MBP's have any annoying whine?
Poll Options:
Can't hear it even if I was in the library. NO WHINE 12 votes (36.36%)
Some whine but it doesn't bother me. 16 votes (48.48%)
Whine's like a !#%^#, I can't take it and it's going back. 5 votes (15.15%)
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: How many MBP's have annoying whine?
petertruong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 12:40 AM

Just wondering how many MBP's have the whine compared to those that are silent. Thanks

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by petertruong
Just wondering how many MBP's have the whine compared to those that are silent. Thanks
For once, I finally have a perfect computer. It's freakin awesome!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

petertruong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 03:15 AM

Awesome man, congratulations. I'm waiting for the local Applestore to have a 1.83 ghz in stock. I'm lucky because there are like 5 within roughly 20 miles from me, good ol' southern california! Hopefully one of them will call me soon, they seem to have a lot of the 2.0's. For those of you with an annoying whine, what do you guys plan or have done? Return, exchange, or repair?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2006, 04:32 AM

Is there anyone for whom the mirror widget trick has NOT worked? It's such a simple thing to do that I can't see why anyone would return a MBP due to whine...
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 11:13 AM

Perhaps because it increases the battery drain? Besides, there seems to be multiple reasons for the whine. Some of it is inevitable with any analog electrical component. Some of it seems to be a malfunctioning DC board. Some of it is for sure the screen inverter and people have had these successfully replaced if you check the Apple discussion boards. The unlucky ones have all of the above, the lucky ones have none of the above, and others seem to be in between. Hopefully these glitches will iron themselves out, but until then I can easily see why some people would return their machines and others would be happy -- some of the computers are quieter than others even when running the same apps. Out of several I saw yesterday at the local Apple store, there was a lot of variation, ranging from a near dentist's drill kind of sound that I've never heard before on a laptop, to the ideal of fan and hard drive only.

If you ask me, Apple got a little ahead of themselves with the brighter screen and the MagSafe DC board and haven't sufficiently stepped up the quality control to compensate.

Note to everyone checking out MacBook noises -- the processor is in the back center, not to one side, and the logic board stops about four inches shy of the left side of the computer. The left hand board with the MagSafe and the left-hand-ports takes care of DC power and I think it is this board that probably makes noises -- not the processor itself (even if the amount of power the processor uses may affect the noise from time to time).

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 01:37 PM

I don't have any whine, but I do have the weird "mooing" that occasionally accompanies a fan turning on.

Sounds like a cross between a cow and a VHS rewinding or something. It usually only lasts for a short while but is rather loud when it is present.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 01:39 PM

edited because this keeps getting posted

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 01:40 PM

*doublemint fun*

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by hakstooy
I don't have any whine, but I do have the weird "mooing" that occasionally accompanies a fan turning on.

Sounds like a cross between a cow and a VHS rewinding or something. It usually only lasts for a short while but is rather loud when it is present.
Mooing? Kind of like those Fisher Price barn doors?

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 12:16 AM

Mine's perfect except for one stuck pixel. I'm afraid of what other kinds of problems might be introduced by trying to get it fixed, so I'm just pretending it's a speck of dust.

petertruong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 03:24 AM

Just got my MBP 1.83 ghz from the store, seems like they got quite a few in. I've got whine, sounds like morse code, I'll probably take it back and do an exchange if permitted. The whine is worse on battery than on the AC adaptor. I also get that "moo" noise, kind of sounds like a whirring of the hard drive partially spinning up but then changing it's mind. Computer seems to run quite coold, as cool as my old Powerbook g4 1.67ghz , screen is awesome, computer is awesome except for the whine. We'll see what happens.

cgijon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 06:39 PM

I think the "whining" that you people are talking about is the FAN(s) going into TURBO mode. Check the other posts & you will see that this is probably the cause of the very few people that are complaining. The machine is simply cooling itself off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules