Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Comparison between 1,83 and 2Ghz MBP + 13,3" on the way ?

Comparison between 1,83 and 2Ghz MBP + 13,3" on the way ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a new MBP but the price difference between the 2 models is pretty important. I understand there is a 256 MB video card on the most expensive one and a 100 GB HD (and 170 Mhz more). My question is : is there a noticable speed difference between the 2 ? I haven't seen a bench comparison yet.

Do you think Apple will come with the exact same model (illuminated keyboard, isight, ...) in a 13,3 format ? I could be more interested in such a model.

Thanks
S k y p a t

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 06:08 PM

I am wondering the same thing, but between the 2.0 and the 2.16.

There is a thread on the Apple discussion forum about this and it looks like I might have hosed my self power wise by not knowing that the 2.16 upgrade was available as I was out of the country during the time they needed to hear back from me.

Here is the thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....7710&tstart=75

I have the 2.0 and it is pretty quick, I have it maxed out too, 2GB, 7200 rpm.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 06:13 AM

IMHO, spending an additional $300 for 8% more CPU clock makes no sense unless you are insanely rich and it doesn't matter anyway.

The additional 128MB VRAM is different from the HDD upgrade in the sense that you can only order it once and never change it in the future since the GPU and its memory is soldered to the board. You could replace the HDD or add RAM, but you can never change the VRAM.

That said, I ordered the 2.0GHz version with 256MB VRAM, 7200rpm HDD and 2GB RAM.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 07:31 AM

about the 13.3 in macbookpro....

i really doubt that it will have a backlit keyboard... only because the 12in pb did not. i am 100% sure that at least two of the laptops will NOT have isight (because of the number of parents that would not buy a computer with camera for their child, and because they want something to try to push to schools), i dont know if that will the small screen models or the non "pro" models.

i dont know much about the video memory but i dont think that the larger hard drive alone is a reason to go with the more expensive model, that upgrade can be had for $90-$200 depending on whether you have student discount, and what the faster speed HD.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria

i really doubt that it will have a backlit keyboard... only because the 12in pb did not. i am 100% sure that at least two of the laptops will NOT have isight (because of the number of parents that would not buy a computer with camera for their child, and because they want something to try to push to schools), i dont know if that will the small screen models or the non "pro" models.

i dont know much about the video memory but i dont think that the larger hard drive alone is a reason to go with the more expensive model, that upgrade can be had for $90-$200 depending on whether you have student discount, and what the faster speed HD.
I think that the MBP 12" may have a backlit keyboard, as it is the trend to improve on existing designs as you move foreward. I also think that the MBPs will all have iSight, just because they are high-end, not for kids. The replacements for the iBooks (Macbook sans the PRO?) may not have iSight (less cost).

Originally Posted by Skypat
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a new MBP but the price difference between the 2 models is pretty important. I understand there is a 256 MB video card on the most expensive one and a 100 GB HD (and 170 Mhz more). My question is : is there a noticable speed difference between the 2 ? I haven't seen a bench comparison yet.

Do you think Apple will come with the exact same model (illuminated keyboard, isight, ...) in a 13,3 format ? I could be more interested in such a model.

Thanks
Generally speaking, you must have a 30% speed increase for it to be noticed (I am paraphrasing others.). The difference between 1.83 and 2.16 is less than 20%, and CPU speed is not the only factor in overall performance. It also costs waaaay more.

Also, you can be reasonably certain that a smaller MBP will come out. There have been rumors about a 13" one. If it doesn't hurt to wait, then do.

JCT
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer
I am wondering the same thing, but between the 2.0 and the 2.16.

There is a thread on the Apple discussion forum about this and it looks like I might have hosed my self power wise by not knowing that the 2.16 upgrade was available as I was out of the country during the time they needed to hear back from me.

Here is the thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....7710&tstart=75

I have the 2.0 and it is pretty quick, I have it maxed out too, 2GB, 7200 rpm.
Daniel,

I saw the same and "started" to kick myself (my husband just surprised me with a "stock" 2.0 MBP), but was halted in the midst of my self flagellation by my better half who immediately pointed out that that it was completely ridiculous to be able to honestly detect a less than 10% difference in CPU "speed" at this level. The key is in maxing out the RAM and the 7200 RPM HDD won't hurt either.

Enjoy,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 11:20 AM

I saw the MacBook yesterday and it seemed, well, larger than I expected. It is almost an inch wider than the TiBook. It's nice and light and sturdy and frankly far more confidence-inspiring than the TiBook, and the display is very, very good, but it is big. I would wait for a 13 incher but it has already been some time since I sold my TiBook and I really can't wait any longer.

Also I wonder about the heat sinking. Quite clearly the case itself on the MacBook IS the heatsink. It is even all over, with a little hotspot at the far back center, but that means evenly very warm. I think I would prefer something just sufficiently thicker to accommodate a conventional heat sink but maybe I'm being old-fashioned and, to be fair to Apple, I think this scheme probably keeps the internal components cooler.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria

I think it would be logical to have the same features on every pro notebooks ... isight everywhere and backlit keyboards ... it is a good differenciating factor from the iBook line.

I defenetely hope for a 13.3 macBook pro version. I saw a Sony 13.3 in a computer store and the screen size is perfect for me. And I don't want to have a white computer (iBook) so ... wait and see (not too long !)
S k y p a t

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 11:55 AM

I think it would be logical to have the same features on every pro notebooks ... isight everywhere and backlit keyboards ... it is a good differenciating factor from the iBook line.

I defenetely hope for a 13.3 macBook pro version. I saw a Sony 13.3 in a computer store and the screen size is perfect for me. And I don't want to have a white computer (iBook) so ... wait and see (not too long !)
i guess i mean i could be wrong... from looking at the 12pb it really didnt have many if not most of the features that the 15" and 17" powerbooks had like the backlit keyboard, dual layer burners and so on, this was one of the reasons i ddint go with the 12 in... i would be surprised if apple suddenly changed how it viewed the 12pb and 13.3mbp compared with the big boys... but thats just me...
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 12:07 PM

Only Steve knows ... :-) But from a purely physical point of view. I wonder if they can pack everything that is on a 15.4 MBP in a 13.3 enclosure ...
S k y p a t

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 12:12 PM

Only Steve knows ... :-) But from a purely physical point of view. I wonder if they can pack everything that is on a 15.4 MBP in a 13.3 enclosure ...
I think that, if anyone can, Apple can. Though I think that the smaller will not have quite as good specs as the rest.

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 12:31 PM

They can't. No way. Take a look at the 15's internals! It's not just the expansion slot that has to go.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yawn
They can't. No way. Take a look at the 15's internals! It's not just the expansion slot that has to go.
Right, a couple of ports will have to go, saving space on the chips needed for them, a SODIMM will probably be gone, etc.

I mean that it will not be castrated--it will have similar specs.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 05:45 AM

I guess the 13.3" would not include the express card slot ...
S k y p a t

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 07:56 AM

I guess the 13.3" would not include the express card slot ...
I have a tendency to agree.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 08:47 PM

They'd have to lose the Express Card and go to mini DVI but I don't see what else they can delete; the MacBook Pro already lost some ports there.

The only out they have is to either go with the above changes on a 14.1 inch widescreen, or else produce a 13.3 inch widescreen that uses the 12 inch Powerbook approach of a daughtercard sitting above the logic board in a slightly thicker enclosure.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 08:09 AM

Yes. the question is now : when ;-) I hope they will introduce a MBP 13.3 before an iBook 13.3.
S k y p a t

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 08:18 AM

Yes. the question is now : when ;-) I hope they will introduce a MBP 13.3 before an iBook 13.3.
Me too, I want one if I am satisfied with the specs.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 08:36 AM

Me too
S k y p a t

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 04:00 PM

Me three.
I'd like to pick up a 13" MBP w/ the merom chips when they launch..

Forum Links
Forum Rules