Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pissed Off Consumer

Pissed Off Consumer
map1978
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 07:47 PM

Picked up a 12in powerbook in March and was under the impression that an intel-based powerbook/macbook of the same size (12in/13in) wasnt coming out for at least 9 months...I get an email yesterday from Apple and look at what we got..a 13in macbook...I called the store i got from, Applecare, and Apple corporate and they were all pretty useless to me...all Apple could say is we are always upgrading...I said thanks I understand that, but thats a SERIOUS QUICK UPGRADE...my question to you guys is would you try to sell your 12in to get the upgrade to the 13in macbook...all opinions would be appreciated because im extremely heated about this situation...thanks guys

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by map1978
Picked up a 12in powerbook in March and was under the impression that an intel-based powerbook/macbook of the same size (12in/13in) wasnt coming out for at least 9 months...I get an email yesterday from Apple and look at what we got..a 13in macbook...I called the store i got from, Applecare, and Apple corporate and they were all pretty useless to me...all Apple could say is we are always upgrading...I said thanks I understand that, but thats a SERIOUS QUICK UPGRADE...my question to you guys is would you try to sell your 12in to get the upgrade to the 13in macbook...all opinions would be appreciated because im extremely heated about this situation...thanks guys
Computer companies are not going to stop upgrading hardware because someone just bought the earlier version last month (or in your case, two months ago).

Never assume that you'll have time before an upgrade comes out. You can wait forever for the next big thing to come out. Or you can buy what you need when you need it. If that means that the next big thing comes out tomorrow, well, tough. Life is not always fair.

If Apple told people "the MacBook will come out in three months," what do you think would happen to current iBook sales? Exactly, no sales for three months as people wait for the next version. That's enough to put a company in danger. Don't think that could happen? There was one company (can't think of the name off hand) that went out of business because they announced their next machine early. Sales of the current machine (that they needed to stay in business) tanked as people just waited for the next thing.

I bought my current 15" PowerBook the week before Apple introduced the Aluminum PowerBook. Was I upset? No. It can happen to anyone. I bought what a needed, when I needed it.

Suck it up. Life's not fair, and Apple owes you NOTHING!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2006, 08:02 PM

Frankly, people have been saying that the MacBook would be coming out ever since the MacBook Pros arrived, so it's not like this was a surprise. But the 12" PowerBook is a great little machine (I'm typing this on one right now) and it's a fair amount more compact than the MacBook. For most uses it's plenty fast. Just keep it and be happy that you have the smallest portable Mac ever.

trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 08:04 PM

I see where you're coming from. I bought my MBP last week and would have been really pissed off if Apple would not agree to send me a 2GHz model and refund me the $100.

But it was pretty obvious thgat a consumer-level Intel-based Mac laptop was coming in the vbery near future. You bought yours in March? People were expecting the iBook replacement by March already...

Helmling
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 08:15 PM

I don't know where you got that impression in March. Apple was very clear that ALL Macs would be Intel by the end of the year and if you read anything on the likely time table on this board, you would've heard that the PowerMac towers would be the last switched over. Back in June, most rumor mills pegged an iBook replacement by June. It wasn't a seriously quick upgrade at all, as the powerbook and ibook lines were woefully under powered because the G4's were just so darned slow. So my opinion is: you've got no one to blame but yourself, and hence no reason to be heated.

But as to your upgrade question, my policy is never look back. Don't play the "what if I'd waited" game with computers because all you can ever draw out of that well is a bucketload of regret. Computers are always marching forward--even when the machine your buying isn't already behind the curve, as your 12 inch was. The machine you bought is still the machine you have. Now if you were unhappy with it on Monday, then that's a different story. Otherwise, nothing has changed in regards to your machine. It's still a fine little piece of engineering.

map1978  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 08:17 PM

First of all, I wasnt asking for apple to owe me anything..(2nd reply person)...my question was would anyone try to sell there current 12 for a new 13in...just the ultrabright screen in itself is fabulous to have....thanks guys for your responses

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 08:19 PM

under the impression
That's your problem riiight there.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 08:22 PM

I got my MBP in April and there has been a revision to that as well. I would love to have had the speed bump in the processor but I don't have single piece of software yet that even comes close to maxing it out. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to time your purchase to coincide with new releases.

However, there has been a lot of complaining that there isn't a 12 inch MBP and likely never will be. You have the very last and best 12 inch powerbook and I have a feeling the value of your particular computer will hold very well since Apple isn't selling them new anymore. You might be able to sell it on craigslist or ebay for close to the purchase price if you really want to.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2006, 10:17 PM

I used to feel upset when things upgraded but you have to think about two things.

what do you know and how much time are you willing to put in to know more.

apple did not say it would be nine months they said sometime this year. which could have been anytime this year. if you wanted to you could have gone to the rumor sites most of which said on or before june. I don't know how you got nine months but that has nothing to do with anything apple said.

now for your question. if you want to sell your ppc machine do so soon because the value will drop by a lot.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

photoeditor
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 11:20 PM

March would have been a strange time not to expect something new. The fact is that by that point the 12 inch Powerbook had not been changed in more than 13 months -- and you'd have to go back to the early 1990s to find a computer that was in Apple's lineup for longer than that without some alteration. So don't feel steamed; just pay a little more attention next time to how long product has been out.

My own opinion is that you should not upgrade at this point unless the Powerbook in some way does not meet your needs. The outgoing 12 inch Powerbook remains by a significant margin the smallest laptop Apple have ever made, not to mention one of the lightest, and it has probably the best keyboard Apple have put on a laptop. For an ultraportable business machine or internet device, it is very, very good; and it isn't too bad for gaming either for a G4 (and in most respects better for gaming than the new Macbook). If you're into photo editing or video editing, or spreadsheet work, you might want to switch.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 11:30 PM

Specifically on the subject of the display, consider where you work with it. In a domestic setting the extra brightness on the newer laptops is a nuisance, and you need to turn it down to half power or so. In, say, a conference room with excessively bright fluorescent lighting -- that's when the extra brightness can be useful. Example -- my GHz TiBook, which had a slightly brighter display than the 12 inch Powerbook, was always left on half power or so at home, but there is one conference room in our department where I always needed to get it up close to full power. The MacBook seems much brighter even than my TiBook was.

And, as I said, consider what you do given the screen resolution (advantage MacBook) and 3d gaming (advantage 12 inch PB, but much bigger advantage MacBook Pro).

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 12:42 AM

you gotta do the research. every major rumor site, news site, blog in the world said macbook in May or June, worst case July. i'm talking about: thinksecret, pcmag, appleinsider, engadget... absolutely everyone. i don't think i read once that it would come after july outside of naked forum speculation.

anyway, you don't have had to have been a rocket scientist to know that if you wanted to be on top of things, you'd have had to wait for Intel.

not sure what you want from us...

you have a great machine. want advice? use it until it's finished, then get a new one.

cmb2874
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 03:53 AM

I paid $2499 for a 2.0 MBP less that 3 weeks ago. It would have been a $300 upgrade for a 2.16.

It kinda sucks that I would have got the "better" computer for the same price, but there is really nothing that I would expect Apple to do, tech companies are always upgrading and changing prices. You just have to roll with the changes.

cmb

tie
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 04:04 AM

First of all, I wasnt asking for apple to owe me anything..(2nd reply person)...my question was would anyone try to sell there current 12 for a new 13in...just the ultrabright screen in itself is fabulous to have....thanks guys for your responses
No, I don't think so. For the money you'll lose, you could buy a nice external LCD and still have the smaller and significantly lighter laptop. (Maybe, I haven't checked prices.) Or just hold onto your computer for now, and get the next revision of the MacBook, which will be even nicer. I think the best reason to upgrade immediately would be if you absolutely had to have Intel compatibility now. But then you wouldn't have bought in March, so I think you'll be fine.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 07:00 AM

I understand your angst but I don't understand your anger.

As others have posted the Macbook was rumored and expect as far back as March so I'm not sure why you based your decision on 9months especially since apple dumped there original target dates for releasing mactels. I'm not sure if you were expecting apple to say don't buy the computer now (in March) but way a couple of month because the macbook will be out. They'd be out of business if they got into the habit of doint that.

You bought the laptop based on your needs back in March did those needs changed? Does your Mac suddenly become slower or not work now that the Macbook is out.

If your genuinely unhappy with the situation either ebay (or craigslist) the laptop and by a macbook.

Mike
~Mike

Dr.Michael
May 19, 2006, 11:13 AM

..my question to you guys is would you try to sell your 12in to get the upgrade to the 13in macbook...
Cool down and enjoy your powerbook.
Look at the first MacBook Pros: People were very excited about them and we have seen more than one post like yours (we always do after new products have been announced).

And what did the first adopters get? Heat and whine (and besides that a great notebook).
Just wait a while until the first user reports appear and see, if the macbook has issues. If they have you will be glad to buy the rev b.

And no, I disagree with the assumption that the powerbooks will lose their value. People always assume that but it has never been true. Just find someone who wants a small powerbook and he will pay a decent price.
Just keep in mind the powerbooks advantages: its smaller, lighter, looks more pro if you have to give a presentation, runs cooler, doesn't scratch (like the plastic macbook will), has superior graphics and the screen does not reflect.

If you sell NOW, it will be bad, because the 12 inch powerbooks in stock are sold out for a cheaper price. Once they are not available any more the price will be ok again.

I sold my 12 inch powerbook in the week when the MacBook Pros appeared and I got 100€ above the list price. Just keep the machine in top condition and tell the potential buyers how great your powerbook is. Works perfect.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 20, 2006 at 04:53 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules