Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > This Girl is Panicking

This Girl is Panicking
edolecki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 09:34 PM

Ok, after getting reading threads and getting advice from fellow members, I purchased 2GB of this RAM http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820220078.

When I got done installing it for the first time, all I got was a blinking white light. After reading the thread, it appears that I didn't pushed hard enough and it wasn't seating properly. Yes, it wasn't inserted enough. I reinstalled it and got it to click, meaning it is now inserted properly. This time around, I'm getting a solid white light. That's a good sign, I thought.

But when I press the power button, the screen would flicker a white light for a split second and back to the black screen. It wouldn't power on.

What do I do? Did I messed up the MacBook? Help please. This girl is now officially in panic mode.

Oh since this is something I did, Apple wouldn't cover it, right?

If by any chance that they cover it, can I just go any Apple store and exchange it even though I bought it from Amazon?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 09:55 PM

Before totally panicking, you can try putting back your old memory to make sure that the MacBook still works.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:03 PM

I tried putting in the old memory and still not working.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:05 PM

I just noticed that the memories I got from newegg (patriot) does not look like the memory that came with the MacBook. Did I get the wrong one (the link of what I bought is on the initial post)?

se12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:08 PM

Just try and exchange it with Amazon.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maan
I just noticed that the memories I got from newegg (patriot) does not look like the memory that came with the MacBook. Did I get the wrong one (the link of what I bought is on the initial post)?
Did you take the battery out, put the original memory in, and replace the battery, I hope I am not patronizing you... if it still doesn't work, I will be inclined to believe that macbooks memory slots are extremely finicky, and place no blame on you as there have been other reports.

CH

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by HarriganC
Did you take the battery out, put the original memory in, and replace the battery, I hope I am not patronizing you... if it still doesn't work, I will be inclined to believe that macbooks memory slots are extremely finicky, and place no blame on you as there have been other reports.

CH
Don't worry. I've done weirder stuff in the past.

But this time I did it just like that -- battery out, memory in and battery back in. Still no go.

I'm about to cry.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 10:22 PM

Sending it back to Amazon could be a nightmare, are you close by to an apple store? I would at least give it a shot, not even mentioning the third-party ram, even though, bad ram shouldn't fault the computer, other than poor/no operation, unless of course physical damage occurred, which I doubt. Maybe some MacNN Genius has some ideas, generally they have more aptitude that Apple Store Genii.

Don't cry! not your fault.

CH

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 10:26 PM

But this time I did it just like that -- battery out, memory in and battery back in. Still no go.

I'm about to cry.
Do you live near another Forum member or an Apple Store?

The are finicky cards to install. Read some of my notes here:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=297575

All is not lost

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Thanks, HarriganC for the comfort.

Luckily, I live literally across the street from an Apple Store. I'll give them a visit first thing in the morning if I can't get this sorted out tonight.
( Last edited by Maan; Jun 10, 2006 at 10:36 PM. )

Tomchu
Mac Elite

I just noticed that the memories I got from newegg (patriot) does not look like the memory that came with the MacBook.
Do you mean that the notch is in a different place/the pins are a different size?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

try this...

cmd+opt+p+r at bootup...
Joe

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 10:33 PM

I'm about to cry.

All is not lost

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook867
try this...

cmd+opt+p+r at bootup...
Hi Powerbook-

I am not exactly sure when the machine is actually booting up because I only get black screen. But what I did was press the power button and did what you suggested - Cmd+opt+p+r. Still nothing.

That was a good finger stretch exercise though.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold

All is not lost
Thanks, HouseSold, for the link. I read in that thread that one member had a defective Patriot (similar to mine). I wish there was a way to know if my 2 sticks are defective.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 10:41 PM

Did you attempt reinserting the ram as listed in that post HouseSold listed? I had a quirky ram problem once, and once it was seated, PERFECTLY, grrrrrrr Apple, it did work.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:51 PM

I did reinsert the ram and gets the same "nothing" result. I do however noticed that when I try to power it on, the machine makes a quite hissing sound (had to press my ears against the machine to hear it) and wont stuff until I pressed the power button again to turn off. It seems that the machine is doing something because the machine is hot to the touch.

Making it was doing it all along, but I just realize it now.

Does that mean anything?

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 10:53 PM

I would say dead, and unlikely that you caused it, however, I really don't know much about hardware malfunctions.

CH

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:57 PM

That's my feeling too, that it is dead. Only I feel that I killed it.

I hope Apple Store will exchange it, even if I pay a little extra, rather than go through Amazon for the exchange.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 11:11 PM

Keep telling yourself you did no damage!! Confidence and less words mean better service in Apple Stores! Best Wishes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 11:22 PM

I've never had any trouble with exchanging things with Amazon, if you should have to do that. My hunch is that the Apple Store won't do it, but who knows?

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Do you mean that the notch is in a different place/the pins are a different size?
I meant that the one that came from NewEgg has square thingies on both sides while Apple's only has it on one side.

The bottom looks identical (they both have that 8 square thingies covered by sticker/label, like so...

But the top look different, like so...

I don't really know anything about this so they may be the right RAM but they just come in different "look" maybe. I dunno. Just being paranoid maybe, huh?

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 11:34 PM

Oh, I didn't think amazon would give her trouble, I just thought, it would be a lot of waiting around for the replacement to come, and sending the other back.
CH

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

I think the difference in appearance of the RAM is just because the Newegg sticks are of higher capacity, so they need more chips.

Zzzou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 11:59 PM

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to send the RAM back, newegg's customer service is the best, no hassles.

But it sounds like it's not a RAM issue if you reinstalled your initial OEM RAM and it's still not booting up...perhaps if the RAM wasn't properly seated and you turned it on, something might have shorted. But that sounds unlikely; I've accidently left RAM popped out both in my desktop and laptop and replaced them, with no problems.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by wolverinewizard
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to send the RAM back, newegg's customer service is the best, no hassles.

But it sounds like it's not a RAM issue if you reinstalled your initial OEM RAM and it's still not booting up...perhaps if the RAM wasn't properly seated and you turned it on, something might have shorted. But that sounds unlikely; I've accidently left RAM popped out both in my desktop and laptop and replaced them, with no problems.
Re-installing the original RAM is your next and last option, especially if you might have to exchange or return your MacBook; you know it was originally working with that RAM. Be sure it is seated with your two thumbs first with very well illuminated work area, since it's probably nightime; or if your mind is frazzled wait till morning before starting with a fresh mind. That last little push doesn't make a snap in reassuring sound nor do the levers latch or react a certain may to assure you. Observing the originals before removal or only doing one side at a time really helps since this memory insertion and removal is somewhat unique. On the PowerBooks, the memory inserts and lies down in their slots with a click.
More than likely all is well and you just have some very tempermental RAM. (perhaps thicker circuit board than some others)
Having to tackle this for a first project is really tough and admirable and stressful for anyone.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 02:23 AM

Like others have said, reinstall the original ram and take it back.

Dr.Michael
Jun 11, 2006, 04:05 AM

The memory type is correct.

I would install the old memory into the macbook and let the apple store guy check whats wrong. Memory can be user replaced and it does not void your warranty. But in this case I wouldn't tell him - simply to avoid any risk. Just let him find out that for no known reasons you machine died and get a replacement macbook.

Then send your memory back to amazon, tell them that it killed your machine, ask your money back and buy a decent pair from a well known mac supplier.

My guess what happened? By not properly installing the ram you created a shortcut. Or you touched the contacts of the ram stick and an electric discharge killed the ram. Or you also did not install the old memory in the right way and the apple guy might be able to find out and fix it.

Good luck.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Jun 11, 2006 at 04:18 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Then send your memory back to amazon, tell them that it killed your machine, ask your money back and buy a decent pair from a well known mac supplier.
She didn't get the memory from Amazon, she got the MacBook there, which is why I'm guessing that the Apple Store won't just let her exchange it there.

Dr.Michael
Jun 11, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
She didn't get the memory from Amazon, she got the MacBook there, which is why I'm guessing that the Apple Store won't just let her exchange it there.
OOps, shouldn't post before morning tee .
I guess the apple store will handle her macbook because its apple who is responsible for the warranty, not amazon as the seller.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 10:11 AM

I'm awake and had my cup of coffee. I think I have more energy now for the force needed to push these RAMs in. Maybe I wasn't pushing very hard enough in spite suffering a chip nail (Ah, the issues we girls have. Ha ha) I will try once more if see if I can get this thing to work.

You guys are the best!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 10:45 AM

Just to reiterate an earlier post.

If you take it into the Apple store, don't tell them about the RAM. Apple will always blame problems on 3rd party products. (I've worked in a shop that serviced Apples and have seen Apple blame 3rd party RAM for bad hard drives)

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 10:46 AM

Day Two:

Quick update - I reinstalled the new RAMs (2GB, Patriot). After that I turned the MacBook on and got the chime and the white screen, but instead of getting the Apple logo that we usually see when we start the machine, in place of it was a box with a flashing "?" mark. What is that mean?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2006, 10:50 AM

Day Two:

Quick update - I reinstalled the new RAMs (2GB, Patriot). After that I turned the MacBook on and got the chime and the white screen, but instead of getting the Apple logo that we usually see when we start the machine, in place of it was a box with a flashing "?" mark. What is that mean?
That means you definitely need to take it in to the apple store. It sounds like the computer can't find a startup disc, which could mean your hard drive has crapped out.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 11:45 AM

Or I suppose it could mean that it got dislodged during all this memory pushing. She could try pulling it out and pushing it back in again (it's there where the memory is, in the battery bay. There's a plastic tab you can pull to take it out).

Dr.Michael
Jun 11, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Or I suppose it could mean that it got dislodged during all this memory pushing. She could try pulling it out and pushing it back in again (it's there where the memory is, in the battery bay. There's a plastic tab you can pull to take it out).
At least this means your RAM is ok.
Before you open the thing again start from your boot dvd and open disk utility. Find your Mac os installation and choose to startup from there (if it shows up). Only if that does not help, try to find a hardware issue (repair your nails before this time ).

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 12:21 PM

Yippee! Success, at last!

I was about to put in the original RAMs when I decided to give it one last try in putting in the new RAMS before I run across the street to the Apple Store for some, no doubt, awkward situation when they ask what I was doing before this whole thing went to mac heaven.

Anyway, I rebooted, and lo and behold -- a bright white light and some angelic sound came on and eureka.....

The key to making this work is the wooden spoon, as stated by HouseSold in that other thread. That should be on the official Apple "How To Instruction", along with the #00 Phillips thingie.

I can't get this grin off my face.

You guys are so patient with me. I love you guys!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 12:25 PM

Could you elaborate on the wooden spoon?

force838
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 12:37 PM

good job! i've found that you don't have to push as hard if you use a"rocking" motion back and forth on edges. this seems to get it in with less force.

edolecki  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Could you elaborate on the wooden spoon?
It's really rather very technical and should be tried only by professionals.

I used the wooden spoon (the kitchen kind) for pushing the rams in, rather than my fingers. Only because I can get more push because of the handle and it doesn't hurt the fingertips as much.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 01:25 PM

I'm glad you got it working. Reading this kind of thing over and over really has me wondering about some of this cheaper RAM, though. When I installed OWC RAM (not as expensive as Crucial, but more expensive than Patriot) I had no trouble getting it in at all. I'm thinking that the cheaper RAM may be just enough thicker that it makes it hard to install. Hopefully it doesn't do any damage.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by HarriganC
Sending it back to Amazon could be a nightmare, are you close by to an apple store? I would at least give it a shot, not even mentioning the third-party ram, even though, bad ram shouldn't fault the computer, other than poor/no operation, unless of course physical damage occurred, which I doubt. Maybe some MacNN Genius has some ideas, generally they have more aptitude that Apple Store Genii.

Don't cry! not your fault.

CH
I would not lie about the ram to the apple store. Be upfront and tell the truth. It is always best to tell the truth so that they can really see what the situation is with the macbook. I also would not get generic ram. I would have had apple do it all for me so that it is covered under warranty.

andgarden
Jun 11, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
I would not lie about the ram to the apple store. Be upfront and tell the truth. It is always best to tell the truth so that they can really see what the situation is with the macbook. I also would not get generic ram. I would have had apple do it all for me so that it is covered under warranty.
<George Costanza mode>Right, and also always make sure to get your car serviced at the dealer, and the anti-rust coating!</george costanza>

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2006, 04:45 PM

As I've said before, installing RAM in the MacBook takes a ridiculous amount of force (at least, mine did). I had to press until I thought it was going to break, and then press some more !

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
As I've said before, installing RAM in the MacBook takes a ridiculous amount of force (at least, mine did). I had to press until I thought it was going to break, and then press some more !
qft.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 06:54 PM

Wow...do I feel lucky. I just wrote in anotherpost that my Mushkin RAM slipped right in. Quite easy in fact. My wife put in the last screw on the L bar....that was the only wrinkle in my process. Her patience / small hands did the trick. :-)
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
You must have money coming out of your ears if you would be willing to spend $500 on the "better ram" offered by apple.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Wow...do I feel lucky. I just wrote in anotherpost that my Mushkin RAM slipped right in. Quite easy in fact. My wife put in the last screw on the L bar....that was the only wrinkle in my process. Her patience / small hands did the trick. :-)
My Patriot RAM also went in with the usual amount of effort. I've upgraded memory in a lot of computers and nothing about the MacBook struck me as being more difficult than any other computer...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 12:21 AM

Well...mebbe most people who replaced their RAM had no issues...The only time I got in trouble was trying to replace the Hard Drive on my Pismo. I fried the CPU. Cost me $400 to fix...now it is dead after not having a start up in nearly a year. Wish I knew what was wrong. I loved that laptop.
( Last edited by masugu; Jun 12, 2006 at 01:29 AM. )
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Well...mebbe most people who replaced their RAM had no issues...The only time I got in trouble was tring to replace the Hrad Drive on my Pismo. I freind the CPU. Vost me $400 to fix...now it is dead after not having a start up in nearly a year.
Damn, it looks like it fried your keyboard too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules