Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17 vs MBP, opening angle

Powerbook 17 vs MBP, opening angle
glhart
Oct 25, 2006, 05:06 PM

I have a PB 17 (latest version), and was thinking of getting the MBP 17, as its screen is brighter and glossy. I went to the Apple store and looked at them side by side. The MBP was somewhat brighter and easier to read, but then I realized that I could open the PB much further than the MBP. Since both have a somewhat limited viewing angle (the PB is a bit worse than the MBP), it is important to be positioned directly in front of the screen. I often find myself using the PB all the way open in order to get the best angle. Since the MBP won't open that far, I decided I don't want it. Does this happen with the 15" machines also? In any event, it seems to be a significant flaw in an otherwise excellent machine.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 05:18 PM

I find that the maximum open angle of the 15" MBP is just perfect for me when I'm sitting up straight and have it on a desk that is the appropriate height.

I don't see why you would want to open it any more than this, unless your computer is much, much lower than it should be (as far as ergonomics are concerned).

Alexander1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 06:59 PM

Using it in your lap when lying down with your knees up. If I wanted a desktop, I would have bought a desktop.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 08:36 PM

According to the manual for the new Core2 Duo model, the display opens to maximum 135°, as opposed to the 120° limitation in the MacBook Pro's first iteration.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

JonDeck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 09:55 PM

well thats at least a small improvement, but I personally wouldn't know if the limitation was a problem in the first place.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alexander1 View Post
Using it in your lap when lying down with your knees up. If I wanted a desktop, I would have bought a desktop.
+1
I use my laptop this way alot too.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by glhart View Post
I have a PB 17 (latest version), and was thinking of getting the MBP 17, as its screen is brighter and glossy. I went to the Apple store and looked at them side by side. The MBP was somewhat brighter and easier to read, but then I realized that I could open the PB much further than the MBP. Since both have a somewhat limited viewing angle (the PB is a bit worse than the MBP), it is important to be positioned directly in front of the screen. I often find myself using the PB all the way open in order to get the best angle. Since the MBP won't open that far, I decided I don't want it. Does this happen with the 15" machines also? In any event, it seems to be a significant flaw in an otherwise excellent machine.

You'r not alone. After using a 17" PB for years, I returned my 15" MBP because of the limited opening angle. It just isn't enough and for anyone who says you can view the screen perpendicular when it's on your lap, I would love to see a picture.

I'm waiting for the next redesign of the MBP. Hopefully they change it. If not I'll have to learn to live with it, but Apple better not be surprised if I return it to get it repaired after I rip the screen off of the hinge.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 11:18 AM

"According to the manual for the new Core2 Duo model, the display opens to maximum 135°, as opposed to the 120° limitation in the MacBook Pro's first iteration."

I saw that too, but then someone that just got a new 15"MBP says it doesn't open as wide as his old 17" PB, which opens to 135 degrees.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 10:08 PM

I think the 135° only applies to the 17-inch MacBook Pro.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules