Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Comments for icruise's iPhone blog

Comments for icruise's iPhone blog
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2007, 11:47 PM

Please put any comments or questions that you might have about my iPhone blog here.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 11:59 PM

I have a fairly basic question. When you're looking at a full page website, say MacNN front page, can you read the text without zooming?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the blog!

After you've had some time with it, I'd love to hear about the call quality, whether there's any static, the range, whether you're getting dropped calls. You know: it does say it's a phone in the title, no? Also, do you use a bluetooth headset? Did it pair OK, volume OK, can you use the phone functions while making a call? (I know you can't be on Edge or wifi while making a call, natch.)

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by L'enfanTerrible View Post
I have a fairly basic question. When you're looking at a full page website, say MacNN front page, can you read the text without zooming?
If you have the iPhone rotated, yes (although it's quite small). If not, no -- at least in the case of the MacNN home page. For a MacNN forum page, you can actually read the text unzoomed even in portrait view, but the text is kind of ugly and hard to read. However, all you have to do is double-tap on a column of text and it will zoom to fill the screen perfectly. This really works well. I'll address questions like this is more detail in the blog.

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Thanks for the pictures and the blog!

After you've had some time with it, I'd love to hear about the call quality, whether there's any static, the range, whether you're getting dropped calls. You know: it does say it's a phone in the title, no? Also, do you use a bluetooth headset? Did it pair OK, volume OK, can you use the phone functions while making a call? (I know you can't be on Edge or wifi while making a call, natch.)
I'll be trying out the phone functions this weekend in more detail, so I'll probably wait to comment too much on it until then. But it seems pretty good in terms of quality.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2007, 03:05 AM

You comment about the small charger. I just bought by son a 30gb ipod and the box with the charger, dock etc and the charger in that looks the same size.

Michael

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2007, 03:44 AM

On the apple.com instructional video, it described that for photos, you zoom using the 'two finger stretch' motion. For web sites you double click. I thought that this was oddly inconsistent. Is this the case, or perhaps both methods work for both applications (i.e. you can either 'two finger stretch' or double click). Can you confirm this? Thanks. Good for you to have the phone.

nhmlco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 03:46 AM

You can two-finger stretch web pages as well.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2007, 03:48 AM

Yes, they both work. It's just that double tapping is more appropriate for web pages, because they are divided into columns that the iPhone can snap to, while photos are not. The two-finger pinch is more appropriate for photos because it gives you more control over what you see, and you don't have to worry about cutting off the beginning of a sentence or something as you would if you did it on a web page. But again, you can do either in just about every application where it would be appropriate.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2007, 09:15 AM

I'm irked on your behalf about the manager letting those parents in in front of you! (And I'm the parent of a college kid, too.) If I read your blog correctly, because of that, you had to get the smaller version, rather than the one you would have gotten. You know, when the frenzy dies down, you might want to write to Apple and complain about that. Maybe they'll give you, or let you upgrade, to the bigger one and return that one. That's just not right.

Your phone looks very cool, though. I'm looking forward to reading more in your blog. And I'm an AT&T customer already, so it sounds like maybe they'd just let me keep the plan I already have, without upgrading. (I'm the lead person on a family plan, so mine is $50, basically, a month. But I don't have any texting or data, or anything like that.)

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2007, 10:39 AM

Actually, the way the numbers worked out, the fact that the parents went ahead didn't make any difference in the stock of 8GB models. Otherwise I would have been very upset, especially because I didn't really see any reason to have them go ahead -- even if you're on a family plan, you don't have to activate them in-store or anything.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Your phone looks very cool, though. I'm looking forward to reading more in your blog. And I'm an AT&T customer already, so it sounds like maybe they'd just let me keep the plan I already have, without upgrading. (I'm the lead person on a family plan, so mine is $50, basically, a month. But I don't have any texting or data, or anything like that.)
All you need to do when you activate is enter your AT&T info, add the $20 iPhone Data Plan and you will be good to go. Exactly what I did and it couldn't be any simpler.

iCruise, thanks for the blog.

Forum Links
Forum Rules