Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The CD from hell

The CD from hell
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I guess it's an OS issue more than anything. I put in a CD-R to burn a CD in iTunes on my iMac when I realized that I had selected "data cd" instead of "audio cd" in the prefs. So I immediately canceled the burn. But the CD would not come out. I tried hitting eject in iTunes and in Toast Titanium. I tried using the disk utility, but it didn't show up there. I tried typing commands in the terminal. (I was trying to avoid rebooting, since I had a lot of things open.) Finally, I decided to restart, so I turned off the power and then restarted with the left mouse button held down. No go. Then I tried to boot into open firmware and eject it from there. But it wouldn't boot into open firmware. I read that booting the machine in target disk mode might allow you to eject the disk, but it wouldn't go into target disk mode. And it also wouldn't boot. It would stay at the blank gray opening screen. Now I'm starting to get a little worried. But someone had said that just waiting might allow the computer to ignore the disc and boot, so I tried that. And 5-10 minutes later it did boot. Once it had booted, it struggled for another couple of minutes trying to read the CD and then gave up. But this time it showed up in the disc utility and I was able to eject the damn thing.

The moral of the story is, if nothing else works, just reboot and wait.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 06:21 PM

If I ever come across a stuck CD (unacceptable, by the way ... Apple should fix OS X's stubbornness when it comes to stuck CDs), I reboot and hold down the F12/Eject key before the Apple logo screen appears.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 07:59 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me once. I honestly don't remember how I got it out. I think after restarting and pushing F12 a lot it finally came out.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
If I ever come across a stuck CD (unacceptable, by the way ... Apple should fix OS X's stubbornness when it comes to stuck CDs), I reboot and hold down the F12/Eject key before the Apple logo screen appears.
Stranged, it's never happened to me, and I have been on OS X since 10.0.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

oldmaccy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 08:29 AM

Remember holding down the (left as appropriate) mouse button during startup still ejects the optical drive!

An old one but a good one.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldmaccy
Remember holding down the (left as appropriate) mouse button during startup still ejects the optical drive!

An old one but a good one.
If you'll read my post, you'll see that I did that (and much more). Had absolutely no effect.

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 10:32 AM

Exactly same here (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=297759), however I didn't wait, I used cardboard to get it out. Next time I might just leave it and have a cuppa meanwhile

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2006, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Then I tried to boot into open firmware and eject it from there. But it wouldn't boot into open firmware.
This is disturbing. Unless you have an open firmware password set?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2006, 07:50 AM

Had it happen once or twice with mangled up cds, rebooting and holding down the mouse has solved the lot of them though

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 5, 2006, 09:11 AM

This has happened to me a few times...when my combo drive was well on it's way to death (I also had various problems like DVDs hanging halfway through the movie and CDs that would mount but I couldn't copy anything from them onto the HD.) After replacing it with a new DVD burner, I've never had one single stuck CD/DVD.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2006, 09:17 AM

Sometimes this works:

1. In the Finder Sidebar-
2. There should be an icon of the stuck CD/DVD, with a Burn button next to it
3. Click on the Burn button
4. When the burn dialog appears, do not click Burn, but click on the big Eject button on the left side of the dialog window.

(from "OS X Killer Tips" by Scott Kelby)
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
This is disturbing. Unless you have an open firmware password set?
No I did not. For some reason the computer seemed to be dead set on trying to read that CD. I don't understand it myself.

Originally Posted by pendragon
Sometimes this works:

1. In the Finder Sidebar-
2. There should be an icon of the stuck CD/DVD, with a Burn button next to it
3. Click on the Burn button
4. When the burn dialog appears, do not click Burn, but click on the big Eject button on the left side of the dialog window.

(from "OS X Killer Tips" by Scott Kelby)
The problem was that the CD didn't show up in the Finder (or any other program) so that wouldn't work. One thing I've learned from this is to never try and stop a burn halfway through.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 5, 2006, 03:46 PM

isnt there a force eject on imacs?

since you didnt state what imac you have:
imac g3: force eject on cd drive
imac g4: force eject somwhere
imac g5: open firmware - eject cd - mac-boot
imac intel: ???

oh sorry, just read you couldnt get into of.
^ignore^

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks for posting all those tips/suggestions that do not work. Seriously. Knowing what may work is nice, but knowing what doesn't work can often be a real time saver, e.g. prompt one on to ways that will work.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 06:45 PM

I've had bad CDs get stuck where OS X has a lot of trouble reading them causing things to lock up. Restarting holding down the mouse button usually works.

If all else fails I'm pretty sure all optical drives, including slot loading, have a physical eject mechanism somewhere if you poke around enough with a bent paper clip. I've had to do that on occasion.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 07:32 PM

You would think so, but the iMac Core Duo does not appear to have a physical eject mechanism. At least I couldn't see one, and I didn't want to go poking blindly around inside the drive with a paper clip. Does anyone know for sure whether it has one or not?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 04:33 AM

This thread has reinvigorated me to get my PowerBook fixed. The losers at both Mac places I went to get it repaired said that because my PB is dented they can't fix it under apple care. Anyway, I'm going to phone up Apple and make sure it gets done free of charge, since drive flat out isn't even recognized by the system, meanwhile it was working long after the dent as made so it's not as if that caused the problem, the drive simply failed.
Sigh... this is frustrating!

Forum Links
Forum Rules