Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What do you plan to spend your $100 iPhone credit on?

What do you plan to spend your $100 iPhone credit on?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 07:37 PM

I thought it would be interesting to share what we planned to use our $100 iPhone credit on.

Some obvious choices would be:

The new "fatty" iPod nano ($49 for the 4GB model or $99 for the 8GB)
The new iPod shuffle (free, with $21 left over)
iTunes Store gift cards
iLife '08 (free, with $21 left over, or free with $1 left over for the Family Pack)
etc.

I haven't decided myself. I don't really need a new iPod, although $49 for a new video-playing nano is tempting, even if it's only 4GB. Maybe my wife would like it as a gift. I also wouldn't mind iLife '08. Decisions, decisions...

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2007, 08:17 PM

Depends on the terms, if I can hang on to it for a while I'll use it on that new yet unannounced 3G iPhone wink wink!

Otherwise iLife 08....I'm still using the 1st release
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 08:32 PM

probably an AirPort Express... just covered by the credit, and I've been wanting airtunes for a while.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 08:43 PM

You forgot leopard!

I don't need to buy another iPod just to buy one, and iLife '08 doesn't seem super to me (only iPhoto looks interesting...)

So leopard all the way, I like $30 OS upgrades!

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2007, 08:52 PM

Oh yeah! Leopard...can I change my wish?
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus

True, Leopard is a possibility. I generally like to get the new OS free when I upgrade my computer though, and I think I will sit out Leopard for a while to make sure the major bugs have been ironed out.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast

I have a $300 gift card from XMas. Now I'm half-way to the new Mac Mini I want to replace my aging G4 "wind tunnel" Mac. This will give me Leopard and iLife '08.
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
True, Leopard is a possibility. I generally like to get the new OS free when I upgrade my computer though, and I think I will sit out Leopard for a while to make sure the major bugs have been ironed out.
This is true. I just got a macbook last year, so hopefully I won't need a new comp for a while now...but I too, am probably going to wait at least a month or two just to make sure everything is A OK with leopard (or to make sure they don't lower the price to $59 in November )

I wonder if it's gonna be like a gift card that you can keep for as long as you want, or a "here's $100 spend it this month or it's gone" kind of thing.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 09:10 PM

If it doesn't expire, I will probably wait until V-Moda updates their Vibe Duos so that the mic acts the same way as Apple's (which I heard they were working on). I love those headphones, but I love Apple's button more.

Otherwise I'll probably use it on Leopard, since I wont be buying a new computer for another year or so.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 09:20 PM

I'm thinking Leopard too, but I might be able to get it for about $70 withthe student discount through my university.

I might go with a Bluetooth headset, as my current Motorola headset is showing signs if imminent death; what used to be a 4+hour talktime on it seems to be down to about 30 minutes.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2007, 10:37 PM

I've been thinking about dumping my cable TV service. Maybe I'll put it towards the apple TV...

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2007, 11:27 PM

Leopard was the first thing that came to mind, but if we are able to use it on anything in the store, I might look at getting a new bag for my MacBook.

I'm also hoping we can use it at the online Apple Store, though I don't see any reason why they would limit that.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 11:31 PM

They said specifically it could be used both online and in person.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple wireless keyboard.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 11:32 PM

I'm selling it for cash to a friend who's going to buy an iPhone now that "they're so cheap." Unless my name is attached to it. Which it probably will be. If it's attached (see, relevant post) to my name, then probably a slick new wireless keyboard to attach to my iMac, or video cables for the iMac.

For those that are deciding, EyeTV Hybrid is awesome, and you should all get it and stick it to Comcast.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2007, 12:05 AM

They said specifically it could be used both online and in person.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple wireless keyboard.
Score! So Leopard or a backpack. Oooo, decisions, decisions . . .

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 01:51 AM

I wonder if we will be able to use it on iTunes? Wouldn't mind gettin some music.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2007, 02:02 AM

I'm assuming you can use it to buy iTunes gift cards.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 7, 2007, 02:23 AM

If my dad's not going to use his credit, I'm going to see if he'll let me use his credit in conjunction with mine for a blue nano.

My mom's plans, though, are to keep them until Apple releases new iPhones (she knows my dad and I too well to the point that she knows we'll upgrade).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 10:33 AM

If the card, which I think will, last some time I will probably buy my first true mac.
I have been thinking of getting a Macbook for a good amount of time, but even with a student discount I just never felt the urge I "needed" it. Though with this 100 dollars, student discount, leopard coming soon (will buy after leopard is out), and some holiday money from relatives, I will be good to go.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2007, 10:55 AM

Probably Leopard.

Though the interesting question is, what will the crowd of Windows iPhone users buy with it? For them, the sting over this has to be a bit deeper considering the $100 credit isn't the amount of the drop, nor is it an actual refund, but instead a way for Apple to likely make more money off the early adopters and appear to have good will behind their decisions.
<This space under renovation>

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 11:00 AM

Well, there are AV cables, car chargers, and bluetooth headsets to be had!
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

-Q-
Sep 7, 2007, 11:04 AM

I'm thinking it'll be used to reduce the cost of the Leopard family pack. I have 4 machines that will be getting the upgrade and that makes the family pack that much more affordable.

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I've been thinking about dumping my cable TV service. Maybe I'll put it towards the apple TV...
We got rid of our cable TV when we moved because they were going to jack the price for the same services. They said we were on a special plan before. When they told me that my cable bill with HBO and modem was going to be $129, I just about crapped myself. It was $109 before, which isn't much lower, but I just hadn't been paying much attention before. So we dropped them and haven't turned on the TV in two months. We've really enjoyed the time that we have regained.

There are a few shows that we like--Lost, some HBO stuff--but overall we have no regrets. We'll definitely buy Lost when the new season starts on iTunes and would buy HBO shows if they were available. I've been considering using my $100 toward an AppleTV just so we can watch a few of the new video podcasts which are pretty slick (NYT, Spitzer telescope, some recipe programs) and watch slideshows and stuff. I just don't want to fork out the cash for an HDTV until Apple lets us rent movies. Once they get that squared away, then bye-bye Blockbuster and hello AppleTV/HDTV.

kman

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
So we dropped them and haven't turned on the TV in two months. We've really enjoyed the time that we have regained.
Yes, I feel the same way. I haven't had cable for several years now. I generally buy the shows I like on DVD (and convert them for viewing on the computer or iPod/iPhone if I feel it's necessary). In my case, it was more the time TV consumed than the expense, but that's a big factor as well.

I'm still not really convinced that it's a good idea to switch from cable to buying all of your shows from iTunes. NBC's recent pull-out for one thing shows that you could suddenly be without the shows you had been watching, and unlike DVDs, iTunes videos can't be resold and they have restrictions on where they can be used. Plus, there isn't a big cost difference between DVD and iTunes in most cases, and you get better quality and extras with DVD.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 11:49 AM

I'm getting a new 160GB iPod. I was miffed at Apple for the price drop so soon and didn't get a 160 out of frustration, so now I am.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
We got rid of our cable TV when we moved because they were going to jack the price for the same services. They said we were on a special plan before. When they told me that my cable bill with HBO and modem was going to be $129, I just about crapped myself. It was $109 before, which isn't much lower, but I just hadn't been paying much attention before. So we dropped them and haven't turned on the TV in two months. We've really enjoyed the time that we have regained.

There are a few shows that we like--Lost, some HBO stuff--but overall we have no regrets. We'll definitely buy Lost when the new season starts on iTunes and would buy HBO shows if they were available. I've been considering using my $100 toward an AppleTV just so we can watch a few of the new video podcasts which are pretty slick (NYT, Spitzer telescope, some recipe programs) and watch slideshows and stuff. I just don't want to fork out the cash for an HDTV until Apple lets us rent movies. Once they get that squared away, then bye-bye Blockbuster and hello AppleTV/HDTV.

kman
Ya. I don't think I'll miss it. It's funny that I bought a nice flatscreen a few months back and now want to get rid of my cable TV service. What are you doing for home internet? Comca$t looks like they want to gouge me for only internet (6Mbps/384 kbps) to the tune of $60 a month.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'm getting a new 160GB iPod. I was miffed at Apple for the price drop so soon and didn't get a 160 out of frustration, so now I am.
You have any other providers? AT&T or such.
We have had AT&T since DSL was first introduced so we are a long time customer, so when Time Warner started doing cable internet we thought about the switch, but for that price? No way. Then comcast came to Houston and there is no way in hell we will use Comcast internet now.

fingers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 04:15 PM

I'm getting a 4GB iPhone

How Will You Spend your $100 iPhone Credit?

Take the Survey
$100 Credit - iPhone and iPod touch Application Gallery appSafari.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 04:35 PM

I'm going to stop by the Apple Store after work and get a bluetooth headset for my iPhone, unless I find a nice messenger bag.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I'm going to stop by the Apple Store after work and get a bluetooth headset for my iPhone, unless I find a nice messenger bag.
Will you be buying the Apple bluetooth or another one that they offer?

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 07:03 PM

I haven't decided yet. I'm debating over the following items:

1. - Leopard
2. - .Mac renewal
3. - New printer (Canon Pixma IP4500)
4. - New bag/backpack for my MacBook
5. - Apple Bluetooth headset

Ahh... decisions, decisions.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 08:11 PM

Ideally you would spend it on software, since that creates the lowest costs for Apple.

Xarthan
Sep 14, 2007, 08:46 PM

I bought a 8GB refurb iPhone.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
I bought a 8GB refurb iPhone.
Any reason for buying another iphone with your iphone rebate?

My dad gave me cash and I gave him the rebate. He's getting a nano for mi madres birthday.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2007, 09:30 PM

Definitely Leopard.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2007, 09:45 PM

I am also going to get Leopard. As soon as I heard about the credit I thought, how convenient is that timing.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Xarthan
Sep 14, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Any reason for buying another iphone with your iphone rebate?

My dad gave me cash and I gave him the rebate. He's getting a nano for mi madres birthday.
I sold my Unlocked 4GB on ebay It went more than the 8GB refub, so i was pretty happy
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Ideally you would spend it on software, since that creates the lowest costs for Apple.
Even I am not a big enough Apple fan to tailor my purchases that way. I'll get what I want, Apple's profits be damned.

By the way, I was impressed to see that once issued, the credits never expire. I suppose I could just save it for iPhone 2.0. I thought it was a little lame that you can't buy iTunes gift cards with it, though.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Will you be buying the Apple bluetooth or another one that they offer?
I bought the Apple one last night since I've been really fond of the plainness of it. I have a thing against gaudy bluetooth headsets and wanted one because I don't use the iPhone earphones. Every time I get a phone call I have to take my phone out of my bag, unplug my headphones, have the phone call, plug the headphones back in, put my phone back in my bag.

With the bluetooth headset paired, when a call comes in, I take off my headphones, take my bluetooth out my pocket (another plus for the small size), have the phone call, and put my headphones back on.

The NYC 5th Ave. Apple Store was packed last night and there were a few people in line at checkout that I noticed with a printed piece of paper. I know the guy next to me at the register's piece of paper was the coupon. I assume everyone else's was too.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2007, 05:29 PM

And if you had been using the Apple earphones, you just click one button. Why not use the Apple earphones, or at least an iPhone-compatible set of headphones?

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2007, 05:38 PM

By the way, apparently you can use the credit to buy gift certificates from iTunes, as long as they are physical ones and not electronically sent ones.

PDK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 01:43 AM

I bought Apple Care for my iPhone and still have a little left for a case or ?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2007, 08:40 AM

Oh, definitely got to figure out which apple product has the Smallest Profit Margins for Apple, buy that and try do to my Very Best to really stick it to Apple and Jobs for really ripping off us Early Adopters and making us So Miserable and unhappy with our early iPhone purchases that we are Really Considering never, ever buying another Apple Product again becasue of the pathetic and bad treatment that they treated us to when we shelled up Really Big money for the first iPhones only to have Apple drop the price and make us look like Pathetic Loosers instead of Really Smart people we are..............hmmm, so what should I buy next???

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 09:20 AM

No, with that line of thinking, the only one making you miserable is yourself. If you are going to let this whole issue destroy the last two months of enjoyment you got from your purchase, that is your choice.

As for myself, I'm not going to lose the pleasure and utility I got from the last two months be destroyed; instead, I'll gladly take my retroactive price reduction as icing on the cake.

Anyway, I agree with the AppleCare idea. I thought about going with Leopard, but I can get it at the student rate on campus instead.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 02:28 PM

And if you had been using the Apple earphones, you just click one button. Why not use the Apple earphones, or at least an iPhone-compatible set of headphones?
I find the earphones uncomfortable and I have not found a pair of around ear headphones which offer the mic/clicker button like Apple's.
I know Shure has a headphone adaptor with a mic/clicker, but I find the cable length too long an then in addition to my already long headphones cable, I find it far too long.

The bluetooth headset method works nicely for me, I'm happy with it, especially since it cost $39

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 02:47 PM

I think he was saying that he thought you were using the Apple headphones to listen to music, but refused to use them to answer calls (when you had to unplug/etc.). If you were using other headphones, then your post makes perfect sense, because I was wondering as well why you would unplug the (Apple) headphones to use the phone instead of just clicking the button.

I am kind of dissapointed in the lack of 3rd party stuff that's come out in the past couple months for the phone. I got it on day 1, and obviously didn't expect anything useable out by then. But I have been waiting for a pair of great headphones with the functionality of Apple's (I too hate the feel of those phones in my ears) an iTrip/FM transmitter made for the iPhone that I can use in my car (without having to turn on airplane mode) and a few other things im forgetting right now. Where is all this stuff???

I would love to spend my gift card on any of those things through Apple's store. Right now I'm just holding on to it, waiting for leopard or anything else cooler I see beforehand.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2007, 03:15 PM

Sorry about that. Yeah, I agree, it would be a bit odd using the iPhone headphones and unplugging them to make a call.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post

But I have been waiting for a pair of great headphones with the functionality of Apple's (I too hate the feel of those phones in my ears) an iTrip/FM transmitter made for the iPhone that I can use in my car (without having to turn on airplane mode) and a few other things im forgetting right now. Where is all this stuff???
Don't know about the FM transmitter but V-Moda is releasing an updated version of their Vibe Duo earbuds. The updated earbuds will feature an integrated microphone and a clicky button for answering/ending calls and operating the iPod functions within the Apple iPhone. The should be available by the end of this month.

V-Moda to Release Improved Vibe Duo Control Earbuds for iPhone | The iPhone FAQ

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Don't know about the FM transmitter but V-Moda is releasing an updated version of their Vibe Duo earbuds. The updated earbuds will feature an integrated microphone and a clicky button for answering/ending calls and operating the iPod functions within the Apple iPhone. The should be available by the end of this month.

V-Moda to Release Improved Vibe Duo Control Earbuds for iPhone | The iPhone FAQ

Saweeeet! This is what I'll spend my credit on for sure. Hope they really do come out by the end of the month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules