Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So much softare for Apple to update, so little time!

So much softare for Apple to update, so little time!
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 06:38 AM

With all of the news about iLife and Safari, I start to feel hopeless about Apple ever getting around to updating all of the other slow craud they shipped with Jaguar. For instance, when are we going to get a calculator that can print more than 1 character in the time it takes me to punch in 10. I stopped using iChat already because there were too many quasi-essential features that I was not willing to sacrafice for a nice interface. I admit I haven't used the new iCal, but I still feel it will be ages before Backup and iSync are ready for me to use (I am very wary after my past experiences with them).

But despite it all, I guess getting Safari cleaned up and tweaked will be the best for everyone.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

The calculator works fine. The reason it is "slow" is that you have choosen to see the keypad and the keypad is there so that you get a visual response of what number you type. Press the green button and fold away the keypad and the speed is fast enough.

iChat does have some annoying bugs but is definitly usable. iCal also works very nice and as every program it needs some work. iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 is working very nice. I think Apple is doing a fine job with their programs.

/F

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2003, 01:35 PM

The same thing about enetring negative values, or values with a negative power 10. (for example, try entering -3*10^-19 in Calculator, oh man that takes some time.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by fg:
The calculator works fine. The reason it is "slow" is that you have choosen to see the keypad and the keypad is there so that you get a visual response of what number you type. Press the green button and fold away the keypad and the speed is fast enough.
/F
Oh PLEASE!!! I should not have to hide the GUI in order to get a decent response time from a program! It's a friggin calculator we're talking about, not PhotoShop!

Originally posted by fg:
iChat does have some annoying bugs but is definitly usable. iCal also works very nice and as every program it needs some work. iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 is working very nice. I think Apple is doing a fine job with their programs.
/F
I have not really noticed the bugs in iChat- it is a great program that works fine. My problem is that the ability to edit and AIM account, unreliable away messages, profiles, and a few other missing features have me switching back to AIM all of the time. Eventually, I just stayed with it. Same thing with Palm Desktop. I really want to use the iApps, I love them and and am thankful for them. It's just that productivity is the ultimate feature of a successfull application, and the iApps just don't get enough accomplished effeciently (iTunes being the current exception, with a few more one the way soon).

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 02:18 AM

Jeez, if all we have to worry about is the freakin' calculator I think we'll be fine

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Oh PLEASE!!! I should not have to hide the GUI in order to get a decent response time from a program! It's a friggin calculator we're talking about, not PhotoShop!
It's not slow because the whole calculator is visible. It's slow because Apple designed it that way - they made a visual delay which can be turned off by hiding the keypad.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules