Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > where to buy a used Mac

where to buy a used Mac
rlane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 12:21 AM

Any reliable places where I can buy a used G3 desktop? I checked ebay, but I'd rather buy from a reputable store.

THANKS

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 12:26 AM

www.powermax.com is reputable but expensive.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:26 AM

yeah the used macs there and really any where else are more expensive than the refurbished ones they sell.

The best bet is to look on eBay again and get a true market value (more or else) or wait a week for me to post my Dual 867MHz G4 with 150GB of space and 768MB of preminum RAM and a 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card and Logitech Dual Optical Mouse sporting a Combo drive and a 52x nativaly supported CDRW and Monsoon speakers with an isight and black Apple pro Keyboard and Mouse (two mice) and a Built-in Bluetooth Dongle that is hidden in the computer (thanks to an internal USB 2.0 Port) but can easily taken out to put on another.

Also comes with OS 9.2.2, Jaguar and Panther (Retail) plus Fallout and Gaints (Two great games) and a SD Flash Reader and Animatrix mouse pad. I can also include a Learning Cocoa Book from ADC and a Epson C82 Printer if the price is right.

This one will boot to 9 to play the old favorite games like Deus Ex, UT, Rune and Sin.

Plus if it is your first mac or your first powermac I will ship it immediately without formating so some really nice software will be on it when you get it. However you are responsible for whatever you do with it.

<end of shameless promotion>

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:35 AM

I just remembered another seller of used macs. they have been advertising in Mac Addict and MacWorld for as long as I can remember and I just check their price and they are a lot more competitive than others and are even as good as ebay prices if you factor in hassle.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/

They don't have any G3 (they do have G3 but they are under older macs and a B/W sells for 299) but they have a Dual 500MHz G4 with 40GB and DVD-RAM for $649.

Plus they sell 17 inch ADC Apple Displays for $499 instead of $699.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 08:43 AM

You can buy from ebay, just when you do your search, specify the city in which you live in, so you can pick it up in person and check it out to make sure it works before paying.

I've done that in NYC on 2 imacs and a ibook I have purchased. The people could not have been nicer, and the machines worked perfectly. I would never ever buy anything like that though without inspecting it in person first to make sure its working.

I guess if you are in a rural area, this would not work, but in most big cities there are all kinds of older macs for sale on ebay.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by rlane

Any reliable places where I can buy a used G3 desktop? I checked ebay, but I'd rather buy from a reputable store.

Where are you located (at least approximately)?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 05:01 PM

I bought a 400mhz Powermac G4 from someone on ebay with a good rating, and it was exactly as described, in excellent condition.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about buying on ebay unless it was a person with a low or negative rating.

If the person doesn't give enough detail about the item, just email them and ask them specifics. Usually, they'll be glad to tell you. I wanted to make sure the Mac I got supported ADC displays, so the person sent me a picture of the display connectors.

rlane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Dearborn, MI.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:10 AM

Don't overlook the Buy/Sell Forum here at MacNN. Also the Agora at Ars Technica usually has some neat kit and most folks there are reliable. They have a "Traders to Watch" thread, and most folks have Heatware ratings from trading often.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2003, 11:26 AM

You could also try http://www.sunrem.com/ as well.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by rlane

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Dearborn, MI.

SecondWindPCs is located in Troy, MI. and sells through the Internet. They offer a 30 day warranty and their prices usually seem to be reasonable. At the moment they have a few G4's for sale but no G3's. Approximately what is the max you wanted to pay? (i.e. why a G3 and not a G4?)

CIA
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:26 PM

I bought a used Quicksilver DP800 of eBay, and it has served me well running 24/7 for over a year now. I'm very happy with both the machine and the transaction. Certainly check out the seller before you buy though.

rlane  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 12:53 AM

my work just got rid of our macs - so this is something I'll have to buy on my own, etc.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 04:05 AM

I successfully purchased a couple of used PowerMacs from eBay (two different sellers)... I agree with CIA, check out the seller -- not only the "Feedback", but also take some time to exchange a few e-mails.

Another place to look for used PowerMacs is your local Mac Users Group...

fabz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 06:08 AM

How much would a DP 800 go for? The machine is in perfect cond. and has 1.2 GB of RAM. I just wanna know how much I could ask for if I sell...

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by fabz

How much would a DP 800 go for? The machine is in perfect cond. and has 1.2 GB of RAM. I just wanna know how much I could ask for if I sell....
Does it have a SuperDrive? If not, probably about $1100 IF you have sold a few things on ebay before and have a good rating. If it's a first sale, probably less.

Forum Links
Forum Rules