Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MWNY Keynote Stream

MWNY Keynote Stream
dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2000, 10:01 AM

Did anyone else have a horrible time trying to watch the keynote? I'm on the west coast and hopped on to watch at 6:30 AM. Jeez! I'm on pretty fast DSL and the keynote was VERY choppy. It dropped my connection several times and was hard to reestablish. Anyone else have the same bad luck?

-David

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2000, 10:46 AM

I'm on 256k DSL and couldn't get the Webcast at all. My QT Player just said "requested data" and then timed out.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2000, 11:06 AM

I'm here on the East Coast, managed to watch very clearly in 2 Quicktime windows

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2000, 11:25 AM

I'm in PA, had a little bit of breakup. But the odd thing was that every time Jobs ran iMovie, the sound went off. Anyone else have that happen?
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Mike Mielko
Jul 19, 2000, 11:26 AM

I just got my Minidspring/Earthlink/Covad DSL line emergency rushed installed lat Thursday (Only took over 2 months to install - another topic altogether) so I can enjoy full screen quicktime DSL streaming.... I had worse connections than a dial up 56k modem in January....

I am going to try later today, when there is not as much load on the server (After 6:00 New York Time) as they will be looping it all day..

But yhea, poor poor poor streaming this time.... must of been some server demand.... I test streamed realtime full screen video with my DSL line Sunday, and it was like watching regular TV (Almost) so I know MY connection can handle it...

I went over to ZDTV's feed, and it was slightly better (Less server demand ?) but not much better....

At least I had audio on there, with studdering video....

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2000, 11:32 AM

yoyo52, I believe that sound going off at those times were technical problems at the Expo. I noticed during the times that the sound (steve's mic, audience mic) was shut off to give full time sound to the computer playing the iMovie the sound would not play at all. I however don't think it was a problem with the sound not being transmitted or compressed correctly more of a simple output from the computer problem being that I noticed a thud sound everytime steve would click on a button or window or changed something on the desktop.

Double_UK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2000, 01:10 PM

Amsterdam, Europe, ISDN.

O.k, stamp-size picture. Reasonable. A bit choppy at times. But adequate sound. Indeed, during iMovie-demonstration the sound was muted. (perhaps at the source? A unattentive soundmixing-engineer?)

First time i witnessed a keynote. Very funny indeed.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2000, 01:26 PM

S. Cali, absolutely horrible stream in Cable Modem!!!
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Macguy
Jul 19, 2000, 01:37 PM

Vancouver, BC

The stream was much better then the last keynote, I had it at about 640x480 and the sound was a little ahead of the picture.

I stopped twice to try and keep things in sync.

I'm on cable and used the 33.6 to cable stream.

I was quite impressed that it wasn't worse.

omo
Jul 19, 2000, 02:31 PM

Reporting from Peoria, Illinois...in a revB iMac sporting a new, for the purpose 128mb module and a cable modem, the webcast began smoothly enough, with crowd shots and whatnot, but the connection became visibly worse as the keynote approached. Video was gone by the time the mouse was introduced, audio began to drop out by the end of the heartbreaking news of delay on the public beta front, and it was unwatchable by the time the president of Adobe took the stage. I ended the keynote by watching MacNN's three-minute-update coverage. My guess is that those 80 something percent of iMac owners who are online were hitting the servers simultaneously to find out about OS X. Apple should have warned us weeks ago not to burst a blood vessel with anticipation about the beta. I love Apple but I feel wounded now. It's too early to tell just yet, but I feel as if somehow last year's keynote was transported a year into the future. Is the MPG4 at the same price point a breakthrough, or is it wordplay that underscores the inability of the AIM partnership to overcome the obstacles that have plagued them? I just don't know, it's all still sinking in. Was it just me or was the applause considerably muted after as opposed to before the public beta announcement?
Well, thanks for listening to me express my concerns. I have the 'You can have my iMac when you pry my cold dead fingers from around it' bug, so don't question my loyalty. I can wait a bit more, I guess. Still, Apple should give a little more info a little more often so as not to torment us.

Peace
Omo

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2000, 04:33 PM

I have a paltry 28.8 modem and I was able get audio-only perfectly. The sound was crisp and only shorted out once. (I'm in New England, BTW)
and play the game existence to the end

breakskull
Jul 19, 2000, 08:46 PM

I'm also in So.Cal. and the only portion of the the address that was understandable was from the cube on( bitedog!#%?!#!!). cable modem...

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2000, 09:00 PM

I watched the "T1 or greater" version on my cable modem (rated at 1.3 MB/sec) in the Chicago area, and it was as smooth as a television (although not as large).

I wonder why you all were having problems, even with the smaller version on similar modems?
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules