Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Moving Music From Computer To Computer

Moving Music From Computer To Computer
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 01:07 PM

I know it can be done, and I know how to do it. It's just not working.

I'm trying to move all of my music from my iBook to my PC. I could rip all the CD's all over again, but moving the files over is much easier. None of the music is protected either. It's all from my own CD collections with some lesser known songs I got from LimeWire.

I've tried a 2GB flash drive, using multiple trips, but it seems the flash drive won't take more than a couple songs at a time. I can't drag 2GB's worth of music to the drive.

I've tried the iPhone/iTouch app Air Sharing as well, but I just get beach-balled every time I try and drag the music to there. Luckily I got the app while it was still free...

Anyone have suggestions as to why this isn't working? Or better yet, suggestions on how to move my music?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure what's wrong with your flash drive. Make sure you format it FAT so that the PC can read it. There's no reason why you can't transfer 2 GB at a time that way other than something being wrong with the drive.

You have many other options: firewire target disk mode, ethernet, an external hard drive, wireless network, all the same options for when you migrate to a new computer.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 02:26 PM

If your PC can see your Mac over the network why not get iTunes to move it all for you. Create a new library in iTunes on the PC. Go to add to library and point it at your old itunes music and get it to import the tracks. If you set itunes to manage your music it will suck it all into your new itunes library and index it all for you.

I assume ehen you say PC you mean PC, which rules out using your iBook in firewire target disk mode.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
If your PC can see your Mac over the network why not get iTunes to move it all for you. Create a new library in iTunes on the PC. Go to add to library and point it at your old itunes music and get it to import the tracks. If you set itunes to manage your music it will suck it all into your new itunes library and index it all for you.

I assume ehen you say PC you mean PC, which rules out using your iBook in firewire target disk mode.
Not necessarily. The PC could have a Firewire port.

Steve

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 05:18 PM

But the PC still won't be able to read the mounted iBook drive without 3rd party software.
Vandelay Industries

ibook_steve
Oct 21, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
But the PC still won't be able to read the mounted iBook drive without 3rd party software.
Ah. You're right. I'm so used to having MacDrive, I forget that it's not included in Windows (like it should be).

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules