Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Euro 2008

Euro 2008 (Page 3)
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 06:30 PM

"Let's hop we have a little bit lucky."
- Loddarmaddäus

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008, 06:50 PM

I think there's no denying that Germany was not even close to their performance against Portugal. I do understand, however, that a semi-final is not the same as a quarter-final and I was not surprised that Germany did not play as risky as they did against Portugal. It was a chaotic game, a sluggish defense, particularly in the first half. Ballack wasn't very present at all and they've lost way too many one-on-one duels. The Turks were great, eventhough they were sans some of their top players.
It was a great fight though and both would have deserved the win for their fighting spirit alone. I'm more than happy that Germany won, of course.

I can't wait for the finals. Is is three days still?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 05:10 PM

Spain and Germany in the final! Oh yes!

¡ E S P A Ñ A !
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2008, 05:17 PM

What a great great performance by the Spaniards today. Wow.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 05:19 PM

Spain is long overdue for some international glory. Like England, they've always had the players and the talent, but not the luck. Really hope they go on to win it.

not all who wander are lost.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
Spain is long overdue for some international glory. Like England, they've always had the players and the talent, but not the luck. Really hope they go on to win it.
I hope so to. I think when all is said and done, they deserve it AND more importantly Spain is able do it. Will it happen? I don't know, maybe it won't. Maybe the German steel will crush the Spanish team.

Maybe not.

In this competition Spain has done well so far and there are three important morale-boosters for the team in this competition:

1. They have beaten the current world champions
2. They have beaten the current European champions
3. They have won all their games so far

With merits like that, spirit is bound to be high and I think if they believe in themselves, they can do it. They can win.

Nothing is certain in football so it remains to be seen.., except that whatever happens I'll be watching the game and rooting for my team. España

of course

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2008, 08:15 PM

"Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins."

Gary Lineker

-t

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
"Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins."

Gary Lineker

-t
Sounds like a bitter Englishman..

There is no denying Germany has a fine record in modern football. Indeed I can't think of any other two countries in the whole Euro 2008 more worthy to compete for the final game than Spain and Germany.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 08:54 PM

Gary Lineker

-t
Considering Germany is England's nemesis, it's no wonder he said that. If only the English could take penalty kicks.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 09:12 PM

All is right in the world today.

And allow me to say that Cesc Fabregas is "mah boi."

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 09:15 PM

And he'll most likely start the next game, finally. Shame it took an injured David Villa for it to happen.

I hope Torres finally finds his scoring touch. It's been really frustrating to see him squander every chance he gets.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:57 AM

Considering Germany is England's nemesis, it's no wonder he said that. If only the English could take penalty kicks.
It used to be that way. Now the nemesis for England Football teams seems to be their manager. Steve McClaren FFS.

OreoCookie
Jun 27, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Nothing is certain in football so it remains to be seen.., except that whatever happens I'll be watching the game and rooting for my team. España
Let's just hope the finals won't be decided by penalty shots … 

It'll be a good and entertaining soccer game.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
It used to be that way. Now the nemesis for England Football teams seems to be their manager. Steve McClaren FFS.
haha! very true.

I'm glad Spain won last night, hopefully in the final Germany comes out guns blazing and Spain pumps the ball around with flair and Torres finds the back of the net. (I've got them in a sweepstakes)

OreoCookie
Jun 27, 2008, 05:58 AM

If they'd get into the European Championship, they could prove this wrong … but as it seems, we don't even need a biased referee to win against England

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All is right in the world today.

And allow me to say that Cesc Fabregas is "mah boi."
I've had a man-crush on him since 06. And to think he's just coming into his own.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 01:48 PM

Speaking of soccer and England...

Is there any evidence that Beckham playing for the MLS is actually doing anything for the popularity of soccer in the US? I believe that was the entire idea.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 05:07 PM

That was his little personal mission, but the real reason was to draw attention to the league by bringing in more high profile players with the designated player rule. Every team is allowed to sign one player that doesn't have to be restricted by the salary cap. He's made a pretty good impact on the league and lots of people that normally wouldn't be interested in seeing or going to games, do so just to see him. Everywhere he goes, he sells out the stadium. LA didn't even make it to the playoffs last year and now they're first place in the west.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 04:48 PM

Well, too bad Germany didn't play.

Oh, and that Itialian referee, what a complete idiot.

Did he get ANYTHING right ?

-t

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2008, 04:50 PM

Spain was much better, plain and simple. Ah well. Congrats, Spain!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Spain was much better, plain and simple. Ah well. Congrats, Spain!
Unfortunately, that is what it boiled down to.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2008, 05:10 PM

It's not like we didn't know what to expect.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It's not like we didn't know what to expect.
True.

There was this small chance that Germany would play like they did against Portugal.

I didn't think the Spaniards were all that brilliant in today's game. They were definitely beatable.

-t

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2008, 05:20 PM

Unfortunately, that is what it boiled down to.

-t
What the hey, we'll win the World Cup 2010, period.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 05:24 AM

Oh, and that Itialian referee, what a complete idiot.

Did he get ANYTHING right ?

-t
Seriously? I had the impression that he was pretty good!

Well done Spain! Congratulations!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 05:40 AM

A well deserved win, congrats to Spain. I wonder how many non-Germans were supporting the German team last night?

Ballack got away with murder before his yellow card. Horrible player, not surprising that he's in the Chelski team.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 06:49 AM

google spain face…

I am still wondering who the hell are those guys disguised as Spain national soccer team that won with such splendor the Euro 2008 championship…

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 06:54 AM

There were a few cheers in the pub Ballack got his eye cut.

Spain played well, if they had scored a second goal it would have killed the game off completely.

Germany are always a team to worry about regardless how bad they play if the score line is only 1-0.

OreoCookie
Jun 30, 2008, 08:14 AM

Congratulations, Spain!
The game was interesting: fair, not much show (hypochondriacs on the field) and both teams could have won (if we had scored in the first fifteen minutes, things would have been different). Altogether, the result was fair and I enjoyed that Germans and Spanish were celebrating peacefully afterwards (at least in Munich, they did).

I thought Spain actually used a very German tactic of bolstering their defense after they are ahead only one goal.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
google spain face…

I am still wondering who the hell are those guys disguised as Spain national soccer team that won with such splendor the Euro 2008 championship…
I don't know! I was also wondering about this

They were pretty convincing as Spanish players, but then they won the Euro!!

Joking aside, I was very very pleased with the performance. I really can't believe it still. Casillas, Fábregas, Torres, Villa, Senna and all the rest are now legendary players in Spain.

I think they deserve it very much. It was wonderful entertainment and prestige.

I still can't believe Spain won. I remember still the crushed feeling of collective defeat in 2004 when Spain didn't do anything of consequence and in the 2006 World Cup when the same happened.

Nope, I STILL can't believe they won!

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 05:39 PM

That was pretty lopsided for 1-0. Germany came out attacking somewhat and seemed to fade as the game went on. It was amazing how, towards the end, when Germany should have been all out attacking the ball, it was Spain who attcked Germany - very nearly making it 2-0 a couple times.

Actually, the game, amazingly, might've been tied if not for an amazing goal by Torres (horribly played by Lehman).

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 08:14 PM

Torres' goal was one of those tough, grinding pieces of work that you love to see a player make. For a split second I thought, "Well, that'll be swept up pretty easily," and then he pretty much WWE'd his way into that goal.

Very, very happy with the result.

And Ballack played frustrated the entire game. Maybe the injury? Maybe the fact that he realized early on that he's destined for second place in pretty much everything he does?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Actually, the game, amazingly, might've been tied if not for an amazing goal by Torres (horribly played by Lehman).
I think you can also blame the German defense, Torres was much quicker than those guys all along the match… here is Lahm who is later but I think there was another german… that is not even pictured here, so later he was…

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 02:06 AM

i don't think lahm anticipated torres being able to blow by him like that. it was partly his fault for not being able to shield the ball and/or draw a foul, but lehman should have known, from playing in the same league, that one of torres' bread and butter shots is the little chip over the keeper if they go to ground too soon. just one of those things that will always be debated, but you certainly can't discredit torres' finish.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I think you can also blame the German defense
I have to admit, I was shocked by the epic magnitude of their uselessness.

Metzelder - useless.
Mertesacker - even more useless.
Jansen - should have left him on the bench.

Lahm wasn’t even that bad by comparison.

And then Lehmann to top it off. Lehmann’s so obviously past his prime, why the hell didn’t they play that Enke bloke?

It’s all Loew’s fault. Lousy team selection.

OreoCookie
Jul 1, 2008, 06:02 AM

Gee, red rocket, you're talking about the second best team in Europe™ … 

All this b*tching about Lehmann, I can't hear it anymore. Yes, Lehmann is not as good as Kahn who was just the best keeper of his time. But he's still among the best in the world and to pin the loss on Lehmann is a bit myopic.

Our relative weakness in defense is due to the different attitude: the German team is more focussed on offense now than in previous team generations. IMO it's more entertaining to watch and we're still successful.

I think we can be very content with the way things have turned out, we consistently among the top 3 teams in Europe and the world.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
It’s all Loew’s fault. Lousy team selection.
Nah, the team made it way past the quarter finals, that was all they expected and hoped for.

Löw has done a great job.

-t

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2008, 10:17 AM

Löw is superb. The selection was great. I think the offense and defense are quite solid. It's the middle field that is weak in my opinion. The team has become better gradually. They were just not good enough (yet) to beat the Spaniards. I firmly believe that - in a few years from now - the German team will not only be known for its fighting spirit but also for its class. Some of the older guys might go (Ballack, Frings, Lehman etc.) and new players will take their place, new dynamics will emerge (as they partially already have, thanks to Klinsmann and Löw) and we'll stand a good chance of playing an important role in the World Cup 2008.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
All this b*tching about Lehmann, I can't hear it anymore. Yes, Lehmann is not as good as Kahn who was just the best keeper of his time. But he's still among the best in the world and to pin the loss on Lehmann is a bit myopic.
Well, having followed him with Arsenal I've seen him make enough mental errors to feel somewhat uneasy about him in a big spot (Champions League Final 06 anyone). That said, that's the case with most goalkeepers and Torres' goal wasn't all his fault.

But he totally botched the way he played that - either charge harder, earlier or stay back and wait and see what Torres was going to do. He dived before it was even clear that Torres had control of the ball.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 02:30 PM

Peter "The Great Dane" Schmeichel was the best keeper of his time, Kahn's time and most other times.

How dare you for suggesting otherwise.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 04:13 PM

I bought "Viva Espana" on iTunes after the match, hilariously from Heino

I wished I had the guts to put it on our company's phone system, as we have quite some german customers...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

OreoCookie
Jul 1, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Peter "The Great Dane" Schmeichel was the best keeper of his time, Kahn's time and most other times.
Who?

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 06:59 PM

Who?
Legendary keeper who helped Denmark win Euro '92. Also had a long career with Manchester United and ended it with them winning the Premier League title, FA Cup and Champions League in the same season, aka the treble.

YouTube - Best Of Peter Schmeichel

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Our relative weakness in defense is due to the different attitude: the German team is more focussed on offense now than in previous team generations. IMO it's more entertaining to watch and we're still successful.
To be honest, I expected more from Klose, as well.

Do you really find a shıtty defence entertaining? Mertesacker especially was horrible, somebody like that should never have made it into the squad. I don’t follow the Bundesliga that closely, are there really no better defenders than that lot?

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2008, 05:46 AM

No, I think offense is the better defense -- and an aggressive team is more fun to watch.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Well, having followed him with Arsenal I've seen him make enough mental errors to feel somewhat uneasy about him in a big spot (Champions League Final 06 anyone). That said, that's the case with most goalkeepers and Torres' goal wasn't all his fault.

But he totally botched the way he played that - either charge harder, earlier or stay back and wait and see what Torres was going to do. He dived before it was even clear that Torres had control of the ball.
I think the problem rather was that both Lehmann and Lahm overestimated the speed of the ball AND underestimated the speed of Torres!
Lehmann went down to catch the ball safely and Lahm held back because that's what he expected to happen...but Torres was there faster...

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 04:51 PM

Gary Lineker
Wouldn't he have said "football"? That's how the game is called anyway.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 04:55 PM

Attributed quote:

Gary Lineker: "Football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Attributed quote:

Gary Lineker: "Football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
hehe sounds like Gary is a little bitter after playing against Germany

Forum Links
Forum Rules