Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Rickster or Tim2 how's Omniweb 5.0 coming along?

Rickster or Tim2 how's Omniweb 5.0 coming along? (Page 5)
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 12:43 AM

hmmm....both major remaining usa holidays this year have very strong relationships with turkeys....coincidence?......i hope that is not a sign....heheheh.

(yes, i am of course just kidding....being as i use a purchased, licensed version.....just feeling a bit bratty tonight...sorry rick/tim and the others at omni....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 18, 2003, 03:28 PM

OMG 10 days!

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
OMG 10 days!
realize that if it doesn't come out in 10 days, we're blaming you Horsepoo, not Omnigroup.
cpac

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 18, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
realize that if it doesn't come out in 10 days, we're blaming you Horsepoo, not Omnigroup.
Me?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 19, 2003, 08:36 AM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 10:21 AM

8?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 20, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
8?
Maybe...or maybe 35?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 03:41 AM

You know, if this keeps up, we'll have to make sure we release it on one of the days you're not counting down to.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
You know, if this keeps up, we'll have to make sure we release it on one of the days you're not counting down to.
Like tomorrow? No-one's suggested tomo......

awww, nuts!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 09:31 AM

You guys at OmniGroup are at least very good at creating hype....

BZ

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
Code:
long daysLeft = 0; while(true) { daysLeft++; NSLog([[[NSNumber numberWithLong:daysLeft]stringValue] stringByAppendingString:@" days left!!!"]); }
Bwahahaha! Now it'll never be released..... wait.... I want it to be released.... dang...

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 02:08 PM

Or... since there are no private method enforcements in Obj-C couldn't we just write a category to the OmniGroup class... and have it spit out the OWReleaseDate object...

Now the only question is... do we have to manually retain/release it or not....

Anybody got a real world compiler just lying around?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 06:34 PM

Did you know that today is St. Thomas Day, and International Television Day?

Tomorrow is:
  • Buss und Bettag
  • Day of 1970 Invasion
  • Feast of St. Cecilia
  • Independence Day (Lebanon)
  • JFK's Assassination
  • National Stop the Violence Day
  • Shab-e-Qadar

Sunday is:
  • Kinro Kansha no Hi (Labor/Thanksgiving Day)
  • St. George of Iberia
  • Totensonntag

My bet is Monday, though, because it's:
  • National Women's Day
  • New Regime Anniversary
  • the first day of Ramazan (Seker Bayrami)
  • My Birthday

BlackGriffen

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
My bet is Monday, though, because it's:
  • National Women's Day
Just wait to see the release notes:

"This one goes out to all the ladies..."

~BS

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 04:23 AM

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't want to search through 5 pages of posts...

Will OW 5 require purchasing a new license, or will the OW 4.5 license work? Not that I wouldn't buy a new license if necessary, I was just wondering

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 09:05 AM

My guess is that there will be an upgrade price for 4.5 users.

BZ

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I didn't want to search through 5 pages of posts...

Will OW 5 require purchasing a new license, or will the OW 4.5 license work? Not that I wouldn't buy a new license if necessary, I was just wondering

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
My guess is that there will be an upgrade price for 4.5 users.

BZ
Yes, I think they've even stated that there will be an upgrade charge for 5.0
cpac

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 06:34 PM

You guys at OmniGroup are at least very good at creating hype....
Who's creating hype?

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by ratlater:
The archive of the interview is up now. OW 5 info is what Tim reported and there is also some info on OmniOutliner 3. He also gave us some hints about OW 5's new icon. It's based on an old tv show that somehow relates to what OmniWeb does and version 5.

-matt
fooey - they're new icon should have been a globe with the Omni logo
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Yup, that's me! I check at least 2-3 times a day!!
what sp site
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 24, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Code:
long daysLeft = 0; while(true) { daysLeft++; NSLog([[[NSNumber numberWithLong:daysLeft]stringValue] stringByAppendingString:@" days left!!!"]); }
Bwahahaha! Now it'll never be released..... wait.... I want it to be released.... dang...
Hmm one day there will be an overflow, causing the long to become negative! So to translate that back to our time OW5 should have been released already

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
So to translate that back to our time OW5 should have been released already

BTW: I wonder if OW 5's "tabbing but better that tabbing" feature will be somewhat along the lines of what M$ apparently showed off at PDC2003 (can't find the page right now, it was somewhere on Thurrots site), with little Expos�-like mini-windows/icons of the tabbed/minimized browser windows?
Hopefully we'll find out soon.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 26, 2003, 09:05 AM

2 more days.

Jan Van Boghout
Nov 26, 2003, 09:54 AM

2 more days.

TC
Senior User
Nov 27, 2003, 01:50 PM

1 more day?
Nothing to see, move along.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 02:32 PM

At this point, I'd say let's aim for Christmas.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 27, 2003, 03:53 PM

Rickster or Tim said way before the year's end. Christmas isn't way before the years end...but then again, who knows...6 days to people can seem like an eternity.

It better be twice as good as what I think it will be for this 1+ year wait for something that is primarily GUI refinements.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2003, 04:29 PM

Rickster or Tim said way before the year's end. Christmas isn't way before the years end...but then again, who knows...6 days to people can seem like an eternity.
Yeah, we probably shouldn't have been so overly confident about our release date. We didn't take into account the various snags which tend to happen during the development process.

I can say that you probably will see something by the year's end. And hopefully you'll like what you see.

It better be twice as good as what I think it will be for this 1+ year wait for something that is primarily GUI refinements.
Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of moving widgets around and making connections in Interface Builder. The GUI changes are so substantial that in some cases major portions of the application had to be rearchitected.

Anyway... sorry if I disappointed you all. We're working on this as hard as we possibly can, and there just aren't that many of us.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

TC
Senior User
Nov 27, 2003, 05:02 PM

You don't need to apologize to anyone, you release something when you're ready. Has to be good news that people get almost as excited about an Omni release as they do about an OS X release.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your implementation of tabs and scrapbook but I can wait. Thanks to WebKit we are guaranteed the standards support so I just look forward to seeing the bells and whistles you produce.
Nothing to see, move along.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 07:13 PM

Tim2 at Omni: Yeah, you don't need to apologize. We're just anxious to see OW 5.0 that's all. All this chatter is really nervous excitement. *cough* screenshot, for causing us undue stress *cough*

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 08:15 PM

I'm new to Macs, well I've used them before, but haven't had one until now. From what I gather, OmniWeb is just another web browser.

I went to their site and got the current version, and I'm not sure what I'm missing. It seems that all of the features are in Mozilla for free. And most of them seem to be in Safari too. I think I'm missing a whole part of the program, since I don't understand why people pay for it.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 08:50 PM

Hannah W: You are correct, OmniWeb is a browser. Many of us are excited about an upcoming release of OmniWeb's newest version, version 5.0. To answer your question about paying, OmniWeb is free. The developers only ask that people pay if they find it useful. There are some restrictions like not being able to choose your home page on the free version. And I believe that once in a while there is a "nag" message that appears on the browser itself.

If the excitement/hype is true then OmniWeb will be as great if not better than Safari. The 5.0 release should have tabs or tab-like features that are said to rival those of Safari and Mozilla. There are also other feature which Safari and Mozilla don't have. But I'm too lazy to look that up right now on Thanksgiving.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Hannah W:
I'm new to Macs, well I've used them before, but haven't had one until now. From what I gather, OmniWeb is just another web browser.

I went to their site and got the current version, and I'm not sure what I'm missing. It seems that all of the features are in Mozilla for free. And most of them seem to be in Safari too. I think I'm missing a whole part of the program, since I don't understand why people pay for it.
Check the omnigroup page for it, they list a bunch of features that other browsers don't have. Most people don't seem to find them worth paying for (since most people seem to be using Safari or Camino), but some of us are willing to shell out some money for a nice design and some convienient features. Also, for quite a while OW was the only halfway decent browser on OSX, so it got a lot of fans then. Now there's Camino, Safari, Firebird, and Mozilla. Back then there was IE beta, slower Mozilla (designed for OS9), and Omniweb.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 08:42 AM

[If the excitement/hype is true then OmniWeb will be as great if not better than Safari.
OmniWeb already is better than Safari

bewebste
Senior User
Nov 28, 2003, 10:48 AM

Tim2 at Omni: Yeah, you don't need to apologize. We're just anxious to see OW 5.0 that's all. All this chatter is really nervous excitement. *cough* screenshot, for causing us undue stress *cough*
Hehe, yeah, how inconsiderate for Omni to cause all us poor users this undue stress. I'm sure the developers there aren't under any stress at all.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 03:21 PM

Best OmniWeb feature that Safari doesn't have: ability to close the download window automatically when stuff isn't downloading!

So, uh, where is OW5 anway?

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Best OmniWeb feature that Safari doesn't have: ability to close the download window automatically when stuff isn't downloading!

So, uh, where is OW5 anway?
Best Safari feature that OW (at least 4.5) doesn't have: localizations!

It shouldn't be that hard to release an international OW 4.5.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

johnhood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 05:10 PM

OmniWeb's development cycle is less aggressive than Mozilla's or Apple's!

When version 3 appeared, alongside the Public Preview Beta of Mac OS X (2000), Omnigroup was onto a winner! However, times have moved on, and I can't see how you're going to catch-up with Apple's Safari development now?
--
http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood

Josuah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 05:19 PM

One thing I've had a lot of trouble with in OmniWeb, probably since 4.0, is trying to type into a text field before the entire page is done loading. If I do this, the page load stalls, and my text is not entered. If I click on the page, it is as if I hit ctrl-click. From that point on, after I type something into a text field, it does not show up until I click the mouse somewhere, at which point that is where the text gets input.

I'm using a Dual G5 and Panther.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by johnhood:

When version 3 appeared, alongside the Public Preview Beta of Mac OS X (2000), Omnigroup was onto a winner! However, times have moved on, and I can't see how you're going to catch-up with Apple's Safari development now?
--
http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood
Except for the fact that OW is now using WebKit for its rendering engine, so Safari development is actually helping them along.

Another really great only in omniweb feature that I like: searching in the URL bar (or URL auto-complete). Granted, other browsers have this, but not to the extent and utility that OW does. Here's why:
  • Try typing this string in to the URL bar of your browser: "apple imac". Other browsers will just choke and die ("There are no spaces in urls!"), but OW will find results that contain "apple" and "imac".
  • The search feature will search both titles and URLS.
  • It supports typed in shortcuts. By default, typing in "google search for text" will search google for that text. You can add this functionality for just about any site using copy and paste, and a little text editing (though some sort of interface to make it easier for the average Luser would be nice).
It's good enough that it's my primary means of net navigation. Rather than hunting for a bookmark in a menu, or an overcrowded favorites bar, I just start typing in the URL field, and I can usually get the link I want at the top within a few letters.

BlackGriffen

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 08:30 PM

Thought I should add another feature I always use: auto checking for updates. I have a handful of sites that I have set to autocheck rather frequently, and when a update happens the little green lightning bolt appears on the Dock icon, letting me get right to the sight that was actually updated, rather than checking obsessively myself, or waiting when I don't need to.

BlackGriffen

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by johnhood:

I can't see how you're going to catch-up with Apple's Safari development now?
Less aggressive? I'm still using Safari 1.0 and based on what I've read Safari 1.1.1 on Panther is no different from a feature perspective than 1.0.

How old is Safari now?

To those concerned about paying for OmniWeb, Safari costs $130 seeing as you can't get the latest versions without getting the latest OS.

Mozilla and Firebird have the most aggressive development cycle, I've read they're starting work on their own form field spell checker now. However, I'm thinking OmniWeb 5 is going to introduce some nice new features that others haven't thought of yet and I'd rather have innovations on a slower schedule than catch up features on a faster one.

klinux
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
\
  • Try typing this string in to the URL bar of your browser: "apple imac". Other browsers will just choke and die ("There are no spaces in urls!"), but OW will find results that contain "apple" and "imac".
Moz, which I use 50% on PC (the other 50% is Moz Firebird) 5% on Mac will automatically google for text typed.
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Less aggressive? I'm still using Safari 1.0 and based on what I've read Safari 1.1.1 on Panther is no different from a feature perspective than 1.0.

How old is Safari now?

To those concerned about paying for OmniWeb, Safari costs $130 seeing as you can't get the latest versions without getting the latest OS.
You say Safari isn't really updated so your second point is not really a second point. It is "or" not "and".

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2003, 11:10 AM

I'd probably be using OmniWeb right now if it had tabs. But it doesn't so I use Safari instead.

Safari has served its purpose of providing a solid, speedy, standard-compliant default browser to OSX, but there are all kinds of areas where it could be better. Given the Omni guys' demonstrated excellence at GUI design, OW5 has the possibility to really distance itself from Safari in terms of features, and with a much more native look and feel than Mozilla. Based on the features that have been promised so far, I'm pretty psyched. I've got my money ready...

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
You say Safari isn't really updated so your second point is not really a second point. It is "or" not "and".
Perhaps that's the case at the moment, seeing as 1.1.1 isn't a big improvement over 1.0 but let's say 2.0 is a major improvement over 1.x but requires you to upgrade to the next cat. What then?

Regardless, it wasn't meant to be an and/or comment. It was just two things I had in my head.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Moz, which I use 50% on PC (the other 50% is Moz Firebird) 5% on Mac will automatically google for text typed.
The line you quoted doesn't have anything to do with googling. The line you quoted was about how OW searches its history and bookmarks in the url bar. I was basically bragging about two things: OW will return every entry that the string appears anywhere in, and each following string (separated from the first by whitespace) will search in the results from the previous string search. I really like it. So, instead of having to remember the first few letter in the URL for the astronomy picture of the day, I just type in apod, hit down, enter, and I'm there. If my history got clogged after visiting a site, I can narrow the search down, rather than trying to figure out the next letter.

The fact that OW lets me search google, or any other URL query based searches, is a separate issue. I prefer OWs implementation because if I want to search something else, rather than pulling down a popup menu, selecting what I want to search, and going from there, I just type in the alias (for google I use 'find,' for froogle.google.com I use 'shop,' and for google's dictionary I use 'define') and away I go.

My only complaint is that the search setup I have now is not straightforward for the average user to setup. Once it's up, though, I'm sure pretty much anybody would love how fast OW works the way I do.

BlackGriffen

apple4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 07:03 PM

One feature I hope OW has for their tab browsing implementation is something to prevent closing a window with a bunch of tabs already opened. I have lost so many open pages because I would close the window and all the tabs would go with it. There needs to be a dialog box or a save state to prevent this.

Speaking of save states, OW needs to have a last opened sites feature, where if OW crashes or is quit with a bunch of open windows it should save those to be opened if need be.

Those would be 2 kick ass features that would make OW even better than the competition.
Pennsylvania Patriot
Mac Lover

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by apple4ever:
Those would be 2 kick ass features that would make OW even better than the competition.
You'll like OW 5
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

huwb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 08:06 PM

Between Safari and OmniWeb, I prefer OmniWeb overall ... but I still use Safari more often. Why? Two things:

Tabs - say no more ...

Autofill - I love the autofill in Safari (it is the way it should be done), especially the passwords and keychain integration.

Even if OW5 is just these two extra features, I'll be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules