Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP from PC to Mac: will I have to buy again?

XP from PC to Mac: will I have to buy again?
iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hello,

Earlier this year I wanted something a bit faster than my 12" powerbook, so I thought it would be a good idea to build a cheap PC (single core, piss poor GPU etc...). Well, I was really proud when it all booted, and things went so well with XP that I'm already buying a 24" iMac!

The thing is, can I install my OEM (bought seperately though, and SP2) copy of XP through bootcamp, of course deleting it off the PC? Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy another copy, which seems like a pain considering I'll never use two at the same time.

Also, if I decide to sell the PC, will the genuine advantage stuff allow the recipient to see my personal details?

Thanks for any help,

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 04:36 PM

If you have already registered XP with Microsoft, you'll have to buy a new copy. If you haven't then you can just delete the OS from your PC and install it on your iMac. Here's the thing: an unregistered installation of XP will only run for 30 days and then just plain STOP. You MUST register it, and you can only register any copy on ONE computer.

Note that a lot of people are having problems with Boot Camp and the 24" iMac, so you may not have a good experience.

If you sell the PC, I'd just wipe the hard drive and give the buyer the Windows install disc. Or you can be generous and reinstall Windows yourself, but not finish the install. That will leave the PC pretty much in the state that a fresh OS X "new" install leaves a Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 05:08 PM

AFAIK activation does NOT work like that, ghporter. You may have to call MS on the phone to activate XP on a new computer (takes about 2 minutes).

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

BE WARNED: Some of the 24" iMacs have Installation 'issues' with certain XP installers (the display/garphics card not having drivers or something). Lots of people are succeeding, but there are a significant number NOT (mine didn't work, and I wasn't buying another copy of XP to 'try', so my 24" went strait back under the 14 day returns policy)
Some people will say I am lying, and it's just me, here is the Apple Support thread, with various people having the same problem.
If you need to run XP, I would hang on a while and see what happens.

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
AFAIK activation does NOT work like that, ghporter. You may have to call MS on the phone to activate XP on a new computer (takes about 2 minutes).
Are you trying to say that if I call up MS, they'll let me transfer the OEM license?
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 07:52 PM

Just try it on the iMac. Best case scenario, it'll "Just Work", and worst case, you'll have to call Microsoft. Under no circumstances should you need to buy another copy, unless you want to continue to use both computers.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 09:49 PM

If the copy of XP is already registered you MAY be able to talk to MS and get them to let you transfer it. Typically, XP asks you if you want to register during the installation process (before setting up your users, IIRC). How is this different from what you're thinking of, mduell?

The point is that you simply CANNOT get a copy of XP that is already registered working on another computer without UNREGISTERING it first. I think it's much simpler to either sell the PC and use the proceeds to buy a new copy, or if you're going to keep the PC, buy a new copy anyway.

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 03:25 AM

You do not have to REGISTER XP to keep it working. You do have to ACTIVATE it. Registering gives Microsoft information about you. Activation does not.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
Are you trying to say that if I call up MS, they'll let me transfer the OEM license?

Yes. I have to do this all the time as I frequently move XP licenses around on my different test box's. Never once have I been refused. The call center employee will read through a standard script asking if the license is installed on any other machine. S

Say no and they give you the code.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity
You do not have to REGISTER XP to keep it working. You do have to ACTIVATE it. Registering gives Microsoft information about you. Activation does not.
"Activation" is the process, but the PROMPT XP gives you is to "register" the installation. Happy?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 09:19 AM

Call at 2am, its some indian dude who couldn't care less, say yes yes yes no no, read about 400 digits off to him, he will give you 400 back, hit ok, and that will be that. As long as your XP is legit they will transfer it.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
"Activation" is the process, but the PROMPT XP gives you is to "register" the installation. Happy?

Not to nitpick GH but the prompt it gives you is to activate, THEN during the activation it will prompt you to register as well, but that is completely optional. and secondary to prompt to activate.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2006, 09:37 PM

It's been so long...and it went so fast...

Really, I thought the prompt said "would you like to register this copy with Microsoft?" and offered Yes, and Not at this time... I can't say that I saw the term activation during installation, which is where I was going with this-you CAN do both (selecting Yes to register I believe activates the OS at the same time).

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 03:02 AM

When I installed XP on my PC, I do not remember being asked to activate it. I do remember being asked if I wanted to register it, and being told that it was optional. I had a broadband connection, so I guess it happened automatically. Afterwards, I had to get information on how to find out if XP had been activated, and discovered that it had.

Forum Links
Forum Rules