Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Harry Potter 7 -- YES, SPOILERS!!!

Harry Potter 7 -- YES, SPOILERS!!!
Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 09:14 PM

Ok, there's a Harry Potter thread below, but I want to talk to someone who's finished reading. So spoilers will commence in

Ok, by and large I liked it. As engaging and fun a read as any of the others. The Look-Everyone-Married-Exactly-Who-Every-Fanboy/girl-Wanted-Them-To Epilogue was a little over the top, but once Hermione, Ron and Harry all came through the climax alive, you knew it was going to turn out like that, didn't ya?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 09:46 PM

i spent an hour looking for this post again, and i figured rather than have nothing to show for my googlin', i'd post it in this here thread.

Originally Posted by some crazy woman from CFHARDCORE (yup, child-free)

RANT TIME
Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.

Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

****ing moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and ****ing gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE ****ING KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. ****ING CROTCHDROPPING GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo ****ing woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so VERY ****ING LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my brand-new copy.

I ****ing hate breeders and child-lovers. ****ING GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic t w a t breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial Congratulations breeders, you win.

Edited to add: To all of you who are calling me immature etc, I'd like to add that you make a very good point, but have you considered GO **** YOURSELF? If you're so anal-retentive, go back to the other community and go on with your breeder-humping. Also, to the person who submitted this to fandom_wank, I seriously (no sarcasm) thank you. I've always wanted to be there!
hell, while i'm at it, i'll post the obligatory- "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE"

this post is now a twofer, go me. (E: whoa, safari spellcheck knows "twofer", bananas)

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, but as I predicted, it was 'cause Dumbledore asked him to.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 21, 2007, 11:25 PM

OH GOD THE EPILOGUE MADE ME WANT TO GOUGE MY EYES AND PUKE OUT MY DINNER.

If she had left that out, it would have been fine and dandy.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Railroader
Banned
Jul 21, 2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
(E: whoa, safari spellcheck knows "twofer", bananas)
This is why I love reading your posts. You write like people think.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2007, 12:49 AM

I was glad to see Snape redeemed at the end,

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post

I agree, the Epilogue was over the top. It's almost like she wrote that at the last minute to try and appease people who wanted a happy ending. I thought it could have ended just as well after the last chapter.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 10:44 AM

I jsut wanted a:
Harry Married X
Ron Married Y
X became head master of Hogwarts
for every character, would have been cool.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 10:44 AM

I am glad that JR answered a lot (if not all) the unanswered questions that were out there. Nice wrap to the series IMO.

Cold Warrior
Jul 22, 2007, 03:33 PM

Who dies?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 03:57 PM

no one major, disappointingly.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Who dies?
The big three characters all make it out.

One of Ron's brothers dies. Several other good guys.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 08:32 PM

I thought it was great. Excellent way to wrap up the series.

So what if the Epilogue was all rosy and happy? Life isn't all doom and gloom you know. Cheer up

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2007, 09:34 PM

isn't it meant for children? I feel wierd that im not the only adult that likes them.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 09:38 PM

I guess, based on its huge popularity, you shouldn't feel weird. There is something nearly universal about the appeal of these stories. I for one can't put my finger on it, but it's pretty hard to deny.

She is the richest author...um, ever, I think.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 09:52 PM

I could bore you with a literary analysis on how this is a story with great archetypes with flaws that make them human. How the narrative is grounded in core values of redemption and morality. But then again, they are simply just good books which seem to have universal appeal.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jul 23, 2007 at 10:17 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Who dies?
Hedwig, Mad-Eye, Scrimgeour, Wormtail, Dobby, Crabbe, Colin Creevey, Tonks, Lupin, Fred Weasley, Snape, Bellatrix (I think), Voldemort, and George's left ear.

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post
isn't it meant for children? I feel wierd that im not the only adult that likes them.
Are you kidding? Probably half of the fans at this point are adults, even the ones who started out as kids.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, I liked it. I'll have to digest it more to see where I finally rank it in the series, and I expect Order of the Phoenix will still be my favorite, but I liked it. My biggest complaint about the book is just that I'd have liked to see more of the aftermath at the end rather than the overly sunny epilogue (though I admit I did like Harry naming his kid after Snape).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 10:30 PM

Too many fantasy books get stuck in the "what happened" aftermath rut (Here's looking at you LOTR). It seems that they just can't let go sometimes. I found the ending quite fitting and final, two more chapters of mourning the dead wouldn't have added much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Too many fantasy books get stuck in the "what happened" aftermath rut (Here's looking at you LOTR). It seems that they just can't let go sometimes. I found the ending quite fitting and final, two more chapters of mourning the dead wouldn't have added much.
It would be better than a chapter about some kids doing nothing interesting or poignant at all. Even if it's still not incredibly creative, I think a nice send-off for Fred and the Lupins would be better than the epilogue that is there now. And it doesn't have to just be mourning the dead, we could see Harry actually be happy and show some relief for once that he's free from his destiny and he can be with Ginny and all that.

Heck, you could even work a lot of the information from the epilogue in and not lose the emotional and narrative momentum that the book has built up to that point.
Chuck
___

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I could bore you with a literary analysis on how this is a story with great archetypes with flaws that make them human. How the narrative is grounded in core values of redemption and morality. But then again, they are simply just good books which seem to have universal appeal.
Yeah, it's archetypal and all, and there are some interesting thematic things going on--the construction and deconstruction of icons, etc. But literary merit--and it's not overflowing with that, either--does not make books this popular.

So yes, they're "good" and obviously have appeal. The question is...why?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2007, 12:13 PM

It would have been nice for JKR to have said something about what Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron had been doing (other than having kids) for the last 19 years. We know Neville is the Herbology Professor at Hogwarts but she gives no clue as to what the others did after Voldemort was finished and things in the wizarding world returned to normal. Did they finish school? Are they Aurors? Any of them work for the Ministry of Magic? Did they all just get married, have kids and "retire"? Did Harry go on a speaking engagement tour?

Cipher13
Jul 24, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
It would have been nice for JKR to have said something about what Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron had been doing (other than having kids) for the last 19 years.
I think doing that for 19 years is a pretty good start. Apart from the whole offspring thing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I think doing that for 19 years is a pretty good start. Apart from the whole offspring thing.
Doing what for 19 years? The fact that they've been doing anything for 19 years is a good start?
Chuck
___

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Doing what for 19 years? The fact that they've been doing anything for 19 years is a good start?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_intercourse

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2007, 10:01 AM

Oh. I'm not sure that's really "apart from the whole offspring thing." I suspect they're closely linked.
Chuck
___

Cipher13
Jul 25, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I suspect they're closely linked.
Therein lies the problem, eh?

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2007, 11:42 AM

(some explicit spoilerage here)

The best way to look at the epilogue is this -- Rowling has stated multiple times that #7 is the end, no more books about Harry, etc. What better way to do it (and in the process neatly prevent anyone else from trying as well) than to explicitly specify that 1) the next 19 years are functionally uneventful, 2) none of the main characters suffer from any sort of notable tragedies, & 3) confirm that Voldemort is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, never coming back DEAD (by way of Harry quietly noting that in 19 years his scar has been simply that -- a scar).

All plausible avenues of someone trying to make a quick buck by writing additional sequels have been squashed. THAT was the primary purpose of the Epilogue, at least the way I see it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett View Post

The best way to look at the epilogue is this -- Rowling has stated multiple times that #7 is the end, no more books about Harry, etc. What better way to do it (and in the process neatly prevent anyone else from trying as well) than to explicitly specify that 1) the next 19 years are functionally uneventful, 2) none of the main characters suffer from any sort of notable tragedies, & 3) confirm that Voldemort is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, never coming back DEAD (by way of Harry quietly noting that in 19 years his scar has been simply that -- a scar).

All plausible avenues of someone trying to make a quick buck by writing additional sequels have been squashed. THAT was the primary purpose of the Epilogue, at least the way I see it.
That is very likely the case. However, I think JKR may have inadvertently opened the door for numerous sequels covering the 19 years between the last chapter and the epilogue. There is no reason someone couldn't invent some other "bad guy". For example, I'm sure 100% of the Death Eaters were not caught/killed. While they did follow Voldemort, they were evil at heart. Just because Voldemort is dead does not mean that evil doesn't exist anymore. Books about Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny and others from Hogwarts from the last chapter to the Epilogue are not out of the question (although I doubt they would be good books)....

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett View Post
3) confirm that Voldemort is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD, never coming back DEAD (by way of Harry quietly noting that in 19 years his scar has been simply that -- a scar).
Actually, no it doesn't. His scar stopped hurting when the Horcrux was removed from him. Voldemort was still alive, very angry at times, and within very close proximity to Harry yet his scar no longer hurt after Voldemort unknowingly destroyed the Horcrux while attempting to kill Harry. I do think he is dead, dead, dead but the reason you stated doesn't prove it.

I actually see the epilogue as a way for Rowling to write another book someday. She has never ruled out another book. She has just said that it is very unlikely. By having that 19 year gap filled with very little information, she left room for her to fill in the period with another book(s). I doubt she will but she's left an opportunity there to do it.
Vandelay Industries

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2007, 01:00 PM

Here's something I read on Salon.com, and it's a nice counterpoint to my complaints about the epilogue:

"But Rowling is most definitely a novelist; she writes about people and stuff, not about elemental forces and unconscious urges. Like all true novelists, she is the champion of the specific and the domestic, the often unsung pleasures and perils of a good lunch, a crush, a ball game with friends and a little gossip about machinations at the ministry -- which is why the doings at Hogwarts and in the Weasley household were always the best parts of the series. Her books, for all their spells and incantations and magical creatures, have never been the stuff that dreams are made of. Instead, they're the stuff that life is made of.

"That's why Harry's great reward isn't something otherworldly, like Frodo Baggins sailing into immortality with the elves in the Uttermost West. He gets married, settles down with a good woman and has a few kids. His fate is to make many return visits to platform nine and three-quarters, even if he never again boards the Hogwarts Express. He gets to feel that twinge, that "little bereavement" that every parent feels on his child's first day of school; time passing, life going on. It's a very ordinary, unheroic sort of feeling, and that, more even than the assurance of the book's final sentence, tells us that all really is well."

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 05:11 AM

I loved it when Mrs. Weasly beat the 5h!t out of Balatrix, totally unexpected.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 26, 2007, 08:23 PM

Thought some of you Potterites might want a bit more info about what happens down the road than the epilogue provided.

J.K. Rowling gives more detailed epilogue <---clicky clicky

But now that the seventh and final novel is in the hands of her adoring public, Rowling no longer has to hold back any information about Harry Potter from her fans. And when 14 fans crowded around her in Edinburgh Castle in Scotland earlier this week as part of TODAY’s interview, Rowling was more than willing to share her thoughts about what Harry and his friends are up to now.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2007, 09:49 AM

saw that, so awesome

Would love to see some short stories about what Harry and Ron are upto in Ministry of Magic

epilogue
Baninated
Jul 27, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post

I agree with you 100%. I read the last chapter of the actual book, then started reading the epilogue "19 years later". I read about a page, then said "**** this". Ugh. They name all their kids after all the people who died in the freaking book! Oh look! Here's our pet dog we named Hedwig too! Christ. That whole section should have been left out. It was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking cheesy. It was like some 14 yr old girl wrote it.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 06:07 PM

Draco should have bit it. His parents needed punishing.

One of the Weasley parents should have bit it, would have made the story more dramatic.

Harry should have gone on to play pro quidditch.

And what the heck was up with Dudley?

I too could have done without the epilogue, but I agree she shut the series down with it. And good for her, she could have milked it for years, but it is best she ended it.

I basically like this one as much as the others. The movie will be tough to make.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 09:24 AM

I liked the bit when Dudders showed some emotion about leaving Harry.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
One of the Weasley parents should have bit it, would have made the story more dramatic.
Mr. Weasley was originally intended to die in Order of the Phoenix but she was unable to bring herself to do it according to her interview with NBC.
Vandelay Industries

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Harry should have gone on to play pro quidditch.
Quidditch is a non-sport. I was glad to see it go for most of the end of the series.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Mr. Weasley was originally intended to die in Order of the Phoenix but she was unable to bring herself to do it according to her interview with NBC.
I never particularly liked him. Would have loved to see him go instead of Tonks+Lupin.

The only real surprise for me was that Mrs Weasley wasn't under the Imperius curse or whatever.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 07:28 AM

I just finished it. I thought it was fantastic. I knew there was more to Snape's story, but I loved the way it was handled. Even the parts I thought were predictable -- specifically, Harry taunting Voldemort by calling him "Riddle" in the end -- made no less an impact. As hokey as Dumbledore's words sounded, Voldemort really was undone because he couldn't understand love.

As much as I like Ginny, I was kind of hoping Harry would end up with Luna. I'm also a little disappointed none of the big 3 ended up teaching at Hogwarts. Harry and Hermione (and even Ron) all had qualities that would make them great teachers. Finally, I can't believe Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore all honestly thought it was wise to leave the Resurrection Stone lying around in the forest -- leaving 2 of the 3 Deathly Hallows in very close proximity.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2007, 08:40 AM

Finished it last night, enjoyed it for the most part (except the epilogue).

Best bit was Snape. I've always liked the bad guys, i'm glad we got to see his story and that he was vindicated in the end. Also thought the Battle for Hogwarts was nicely done, exciting, as was the final battle between Harry and Voldemort. But....

WTF was with the house elves joining the fight? The way it was described, them attacking the legs and feet of wizards with steak knives, while giants lumbered around was just bloody Ewoks attacking Storm Troopers with AT-ATs lumbering around. Jeez!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
As much as I like Ginny, I was kind of hoping Harry would end up with Luna. I'm also a little disappointed none of the big 3 ended up teaching at Hogwarts. Harry and Hermione (and even Ron) all had qualities that would make them great teachers. Finally, I can't believe Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore all honestly thought it was wise to leave the Resurrection Stone lying around in the forest -- leaving 2 of the 3 Deathly Hallows in very close proximity.
That's always a possibility down the road, they're all still quite young and 1 or 2 could still end up at Hogwarts before it's all over. I can't imagine that a world that well thought out could just disappear, even if JKR doesn't continue writing, other authors are bound to pickup the baton and run with it in a "canonical" capacity.

I'd never read any of the Potter books until this month, though I have watched all the films. Something prompted me to go down to the library and check out the first two, and then within the next couple weeks I'd already went back and got the rest. Needless to say, I'm quite impressed. They were a blast to read, and I don't think I've had that much child-like fun with a series since the Belgariad, when I was 14.

As for leaving the Resurrection Stone in the forest, it's my belief that the stone was destroyed or crippled when Dumbldore broke it with the sword of Gryffindor. The appearance by Harry's loved ones outside the forest, before his face off with Voldemort, was in his mind. As was his conversation with Dumbledore after his near-death. However, as was stated in the book, "of course it's happening inside your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real?"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 12:18 PM

I always thought Hermione would become headmistress at Hogwarts. She hinted about it in the 4th book when they were going over what careers they wanted to go into. She said she waned to do someting meaningful, to help people and make a difference. Can't do a better job than being a teacher.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 12:21 PM

Seemed like Rowling hinted at Harry Potter spinoffs that don't direclty involve Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but take place in the Harry Potter universe. I'd be interested in a spinoff book based on the duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald (or however you spell his name.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 05:36 PM

I have no patience when it comes to read her books. Does Voldemort die?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
I have no patience when it comes to read her books. Does Voldemort die?

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 10:15 PM

He's messing with you Monique. You have to read it!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules